Mining with Ubuntu - step by step guide!

hasherhasher Posts: 642 ✭✭✭
Can someone please point me in the right direction? I have Ubuntu installed, but I'm clueless as what I have to do next. I did dabble with linux in the 90s, but then never touched it again, and now i'm completely lost.

I believe I can get a rig auto mining with Ubuntu, I don't think its that hard, but I want to learn how to do it rather than take the easy way out and run EthOS. Someone please help! I have 6 x 390s sitting here waiting to start mining and I can't do it :(

Comments

• BiodomBiodom Posts: 693 ✭✭✭
    edited May 2016
    Hopefully, you did not install 16.04
    I followed a mix of Frontier Ubuntu mining thread here and Spacience blog post.
    You don't need to make geth or do anything with genesis block anymore.
    Basically, just updates, AMD stuff then ethereum PPA, then GPU allocations.
    Post edited by Biodom on
  • hasherhasher Posts: 642 ✭✭✭
    Ideally I want to use claymore's linux version of his miner, as I do with my windows rigs. I've figured out how to install the drivers now from some googling, however the miner crashes whenever I run it now. Why does this have to be so difficult :(
  • BiodomBiodom Posts: 693 ✭✭✭
    edited May 2016
    @hasher

Here is the concoction for Ubuntu mining that I use (collected from bits and pieces):
    sudo apt-get -y update  
    sudo apt-get -y upgrade -f

2) go to system& settings>Software&Updates>Updates &click Pre-released updates (trusty proposed)shut down the computer
    3) install the GPU and GPU power
    boot up the computer
    4) then go to system & settings > Additional Drivers & your GPU should be listed there, select Using video driver fror the AMD graphics accelerators from fglrx-updates (proprietary)
    5) apply changes and close

2. Login, download Accelerated AMD Parallel Processing "AMD-APP-SDK-linux-v2.9-1.599.381-GA-x64.tar.bz2" and ADL Display Library "ADL_SDK8.zip", goto "Downloads" and extract both to the "Home" folder, open terminal (CNTRL + ALT + T) and run the first set of commands (i.e. config and setup AMD parallel processing) then reboot. Login/open terminal again, Install FGLRX updates, initialize your cards with "aticonfig" and check if all your GPU's are all listed

$ cd ~
    $ sudo ./AMD-APP-SDK-v2.9-1.599.381-GA-linux64.sh
    $ sudo ln -s /opt/AMDAPPSDK-2.9-1 /opt/AMDAPP
    $ sudo ln -s /opt/AMDAPP/include/CL /usr/include
    $ sudo ln -s /opt/AMDAPP/lib/x86_64/* /usr/lib/
    $ sudo ldconfig
    $ sudo reboot

$ sudo apt-get install fglrx-updates
    $ sudo aticonfig --adapter=all --initial
    $ aticonfig --list-adapters
    The list should look something likes this, where the number on the farthest left is the AMD GPU device number, in the example below, devices numbered 0 and 1 are listed:
    * 0. 01:00.0 AMD Radeon HD 7900 Series
    1. 02:00.0 AMD Radeon HD 7900 Series

* - Default adapter
    sudo apt-get install software-properties-common
    sudo add-apt-repository ppa:ethereum/ethereum-qt
    sudo add-apt-repository ppa:ethereum/ethereum
    sudo add-apt-repository ppa:ethereum/ethereum-dev
    sudo apt-get update
    sudo apt-get install ethereum

export GO_OPENCL=true #not sure if this one is needed
    export GPU_MAX_ALLOC_PERCENT=100

export GPU_SINGLE_ALLOC_PERCENT=100

export GPU_MAX_HEAP_SIZE=100
    make geth #only if you want to get the blockchain and make a geth account and/or run mist wallet

If error 127, then
    cd ~
    sudo apt-get install golang
    sudo reboot

If you are getting 'error 2' when building Geth or 'expected target' errors, it's because you compiled geth while using Go 1.3.x. Run 'make clean' then run 'make geth' again to solve the issue.

geth account new #to make new account
    to mine, just follow the ethermine.org procedure (15.04 qtminer version works on 15.10)
  • hasherhasher Posts: 642 ✭✭✭
    edited May 2016
    So I should be using Ubuntu 14.0.4 or 15.10? @bitcanuck