Payment Methods

cmasoncmason Member Posts: 17

Some of the recent videos and articles I've seen suggest that the only way to buy Ether will be via BTC transfers. I asked before, but didn't get a direct answer: Will it be possible to buy Ether using other payment methods such as credit card, certified cheque, etc.? If it makes a difference, I live in Canada.

I think it is important to make this clear as early as possible, because, ironically, people are probably going to have to sign up to a centralized Bitcoin exchange, and get verified, some time in advance, if they need to make a significant purchase of BTC in order to participate in the Ether offering. I have already, reluctantly, started to do this, though I was hoping that more open, and less onerous, options for purchasing bitcoin would become available before now.

Thanks.

Comments

• paulpaschospaulpaschos Member Posts: 2
    You need bitcoin to invest (per the whitepaper). www.LocalBitcoins.com is not centralized.
  • cmasoncmason Member Posts: 17

Thanks, don't feel like meeting someone I've never met with a large briefcase though. :) Hopefully I will get connected to a Canadian exchange soon.

Was sent an unsolicited request to purchase bitcoin. Not sure if this violates policies of this forum.
  • StephanTualStephanTual London, EnglandMember, Moderator Posts: 1,282 mod
    edited March 2014
    It will be BTC only - one interface for everyone, regardless of level of investment.

It's possible to envisage institutions/individuals providing passthroughs from other cryptocurrencies or even FIAT, including CC, because we cannot control that.

I don't think that's such a great idea. On one hand, it adds convenience, on the other, it's unlikely 3rd parties will provide these services for free. If you're going to accept that a 3rd party is going to take a cut from what you purchase, why not purchase BTCs instead from an exchange, or localbitcoin/dealcoin/bitbargain etc? It certainly would be much less risky.

Furthermore, what if 3rd parties just take the money and run, attempting to 'impersonate' us as a project, and ripping off people in the process? We already saw a few attempts, even before we announced anything (people selling futures on Ether when we haven't even set the price yet - disgraceful).

@cmason - it could, depending if it's widespread or not.

Okay, thanks, I see your points. I was hoping to avoid having to sign up with an exchange, but I guess I will need to do so.
  • ralphtheninjaralphtheninja Member Posts: 3
    With localbitcoin you don't need to sign up.
  • MichaelSmithMichaelSmith Member Posts: 79 ✭✭
    Hi guys. I am setting up an open Skype group to discuss Ether sale and other Ethereum related topics. You can join here if you are interested: http://forum.ethereum.org/discussion/709/open-skype-group-for-ethereum-dicussions
  • SomethingSomething Member Posts: 10
    @cmason, you don't have to sign up anywhere and you don't have to meet a stranger - if you want you can wire me your money and after I get it I'll send you bitcoins.
    I hope this addresses your two stated concerns.

Okay, since I don't want to meet someone in a dark alley, and I don't want to send money to a stranger and hope it works out, I have broken down and signed up for, and been approved by, an exchange in Canada. Hopefully in a couple years, this will no longer be necessary, but for now this will be my onramp.

Actually, I want to change my position and I think Ethereum is doing a very good job with their approach to the launch. The Ethereum Project is providing good communication on what is going on, and even their pre-alpha client is multi-platform. Looking forward to investing.
  • EastSideEastSide Member Posts: 9
    Hello. I've been scouring the internet for 1 hour now and CANNOT find any source that can tell me when, where or how to purchase Ether. Are you fellow messing with my mind? : ) How about just a real simple post on the blog, the forum, twitter, etc. stating when, where and how? C'mon guys, let's be transparent shall we?
    Thanks!

EastSide
    Eastside, we are transparent, the answer is that we have not announced it, hence the lack of results when you looked for it. Cheers!