I can see my balance in https://www.etherchain.org/ , but "0 ether" in the console?

ketherkether Member Posts: 12
Hi guys , i am a little bit confused and scared :( , that maybe i did something wrong.
Basically i can see my balance here:

but i cant show it in my console:

I am mining using ethminer and i am runing a proxy (mining in nanopool.org)
but when I try to do a transaction i get this:

What is wrong? :(
Do i need to be synchronized to do a transaction and to see my balance in the console?

Comments

• o0ragman0oo0ragman0o Member, Moderator Posts: 1,291 mod
    You will need to synchronize. geth has a --fast switch that will sync it in a few hours but only works if chaindata is empty. You can simply rename chaindata to something else and reinstate later if the --fast attempt fails (which I never heard happen).
  • themaster2016themaster2016 Member Posts: 20
    I've set up another PC and geth account and had a similar problem when trying to make a transaction.

On my other PC I sent a transaction fine without first needing to unlock my account. However, i decided to do a small transaction from my new installation using the same command but it said my account was locked.

I did manage to send the transaction but I had to unlock the account first which I didn't have to do on the other PC.

I suspect your problem here is that you just haven't sync'd enough of the blockchain to register your account credit locally.

Speaking of locked accounts I assume if you do unlock your account it will then lock again after you exit the console?
  • o0ragman0oo0ragman0o Member, Moderator Posts: 1,291 mod
    Accounts unlock only for a few seconds, not sure the exact figure but with Mist I think's it's only 2 seconds.
  • ketherkether Member Posts: 12
    I will try. Started before my 1st post, deleted the blockchain and started geth with "geth --fast" and when it is done i will try to do the transaction again , and write back how it goes.
    Thanks
  • ketherkether Member Posts: 12
    Ok , so i synchronized and it worked, thanks a lot!