Linux geth takes forever to sync

botarnoldbotarnold Member Posts: 16
After installing the wallet on my windows computer I figured out that my school network has blocked the necessary ports for it to sync and I had to rely on my VPN which wasnt very stable. After it has synced through by restarting it 10s of times it resetted back to zero...

Im now using a digitalocean 320/month plan 32GB ram 12 core server just to get my blocks synced on ubuntu 14.04. Then copy the files back to my windows computer so it will be fully synced. However, its been a day syncing in the long way already without using the --fast method (Im not quite sure whether --fast will allow me to copy the files back to my windows pc and would work) so im currently at 1369k blocks now downloading was very slow. But it maintained a constant 3mbps download speed, and I often see it stuck at downloading for 15-30 mins, and I have to run the geth command again. Would this be a problem for me?

Comments

• o0ragman0oo0ragman0o Member, Moderator Posts: 1,290 mod
    The delay is more in the validation of each block, i.e running all the contract code. The --fast switch induces State Tree Pruning whereby only the code that is still relevant is run which make it much faster. You should be able to download using -f and copy the chaindata to your windows PC.
  • botarnoldbotarnold Member Posts: 16

The delay is more in the validation of each block, i.e running all the contract code. The --fast switch induces State Tree Pruning whereby only the code that is still relevant is run which make it much faster. You should be able to download using -f and copy the chaindata to your windows PC.

How can I do that using -f? As in establishing a connection to my server. My school network only allows port 80/443 traffic.
    @botarnold Sorry -f == --fast. I was thinking you'd still need to sync on your server (why such and expensive one?) then maybe your could tar the datafile and copy to your PC.

What's your final platform to run Mist? You keep mentioning your school.
  • botarnoldbotarnold Member Posts: 16

@botarnold Sorry -f == --fast. I was thinking you'd still need to sync on your server (why such and expensive one?) then maybe your could tar the datafile and copy to your PC.

What's your final platform to run Mist? You keep mentioning your school.

The final platform to use Mist is windows for my mining profits. Using this super expensive server because my vpn box of 30GB space 768MB ram would not do the syncing job. Every 5 minutes the process will get killed (not enough ram maybe). Do I have to sync it again? I just ran the geth command and it gave me a 14.xGB file after tar it. So copying the tar file back to my windows would work right?
    That sounds about the right size. Still not understanding properly, are you at a boarding school or something? Do you intend to just keep Mist sync's through your VPN once you've got the chain?