edited June 2016 in Mining

Update rom.

---------------
New package with updated rom "30-06-2016"

Link: here

Details rom usage.

---------------
Ethereum tests:

134 140 Mh/s @ 2.25A, 495watt (6 Cards) stock settings rom.

185 Mh/s @ 4.8A, 1050 watt (6 Cards) 1020 Core, 300 Mem

Details package

---------------
-175mV(memory) rom
-200mV(memory) rom (only for the silicon lottery winners!)
Atiflash (command line flash tool)
AtiWinFlash (Gui version)
Readme.txt

Details ROMs

-----------
Core voltage is set at -100mV
You can go lower with software like afterburner.
Do this in steps. F.e. +6mV, if stable, try +12mV.. and so on..

I noticed that -100mV is the most stable for all cards (i have 100 so i know..)
Some will even do -125mV without issues.

Memory Voltage first rom is set at -175mV
Works perfectly when mining Ethereum, other more memory intensive algo's could be a problem though.

Memory Voltage second rom is set at -200mV
This will work just fine with this rom when mining Ethereum or any other algo that isn't so memory intensive Smiley

Core clock is set at 800 stock for both rome but can easily be raised to 1000 or higher.
Memory Clock is set at 300 stock, also on both roms, this can also be raised but i would advice not to. IT has not point anyway....

AtiFlash.exe

------------
I use this one because i just like it and has never given me any issues.
It is NOT possible to use a version of atiflash when your system is loaded with a bootable drive (ex. Win 98 USBboot)

Steps:
1. Unpack everything to a folder of your choice.
2. Run cmd as administrator, go to where your folder is located.
3. To flash enter atiflash -p -f 0 DPM-200mV.rom, wait until atiflash tells you to restart.

!!!: Do NOT have HWiNFO , GPU-Z, MSI AB, etc running in the background when flashing card!

AtiWinflash.exe

--------------
Run as Administ.
Easy does it...

Issues?

-------
I would advice everyone, after you flash your card(s) to remove your driver with DDU
and reinstall your driver. This always works! It takes some more time but it's worth it.

You can however just restart (don't just restart, completely shut down your system) "Power off!",
go to crimson preferences and reset everything.

Remove any profiles you have in afterburner (Program Files(x86) - MSI Afterburner - Profiles)
Remove settings from Trixx
Idem for any other OC tools.

Link: here

For those with problems with the provided roms, this package "here" includes -106mV, -112mV, -118mV and -125mV memory clock.
Core clock is still 800 stock, memclock 300, core voltage -100mV.

If you still have problems with one of these roms, pump up your core voltage (+6mV), some cards just won't do -100mV with a monitor attached.

You can always contact me with questions!

Greetings

Heliox.

Over at bitcointalk i had a few people pm'ing me for a donation address.
BTC: 1HELioxkK8iXWhvryQU7gJtBFgWhne86Tr
ETH: 0xf8be2cd9f4aeff2a3b1ca32fbb31ff7dbbc6ef45

Some old info and blabla:

Hey,

As we all know, the R9 Nano is one of the most energy efficient GPU's out there at this moment.

In the past months i've done numerous of tests on how to get this card as stable and as power efficient as possible.

I've been thinking about sharing my results and tests and came to the conclusion to keep it short and as helpful as possible for every Nano owner out there.

I modded my Sapphire Nano rom (with some help from someone) to the point that it almost dropped 50% in power usage at the same speed Grin

And i would like to share that.

Please be careful. (you have a secondary bios switch, so you can always switch back)

For all the *nix users out there. This might be very interesting for you guys because i know what a hassle it is to change voltage in linux. Yeah.. not...

Also, if you want to flash in Linux, that isn't possible right now. You'll need Windows. (And not a bootable version! Won't work on Fiji..)

Ps. Cards/configs may still be submitted to mininghwcomparison.com! Cool

Enjoy!
Post edited by Heliox on

Comments

• dlehenkydlehenky Member Posts: 2,249 ✭✭✭✭
    I haven't tried this version, yet, but your earlier version works great!
  • citronickcitronick Member Posts: 110
    6 x Nanos under 1300 PSU is sweet pushing 185MHs. ... problem is I don't have a Nano yet...
  • thesmokingmanthesmokingman Member Posts: 152 ✭✭
    Just received my Gigabyte r9 Nano and wanted to report my findings.

I used ATIWinflash to flash the -200mv bios. No monitor output, which I figured might happen from reading the BTC thread. System beeps like normal on boot, but my remote access program never detects that the system is online.

Re-flashed the card with the -175mv bios and system boots with monitor support. However, I start getting artifacts and card crashes once I raise the core clock past 900 with memory left at 300.

I'm going to try the other bios' with less of an undervolt and report back my findings. So far this Nano is definitely not a silicon lottery winner...

What brand have you found works best with the -175/-200 bios files or have they all been hit or miss?
  • HelioxHeliox Member, Moderator Posts: 634 mod

Just received my Gigabyte r9 Nano and wanted to report my findings.

I used ATIWinflash to flash the -200mv bios. No monitor output, which I figured might happen from reading the BTC thread. System beeps like normal on boot, but my remote access program never detects that the system is online.

Re-flashed the card with the -175mv bios and system boots with monitor support. However, I start getting artifacts and card crashes once I raise the core clock past 900 with memory left at 300.

I'm going to try the other bios' with less of an undervolt and report back my findings. So far this Nano is definitely not a silicon lottery winner...

What brand have you found works best with the -175/-200 bios files or have they all been hit or miss?

Hey there!

I only own sapphire's, so i have no clue about the other brands. Shouldn't really matter as they're basically all the same.

But yup, 25% of my nano's are running with the -200rom, 55% with the -175mV one and the others are running with the -150mV except 2, they're running with the -125mV because they kept crashing the display driver.

So i know, it's a pain in the ass to find what cards can handle the heavy ones and which ones won't.

The all known "asic quality" trick doesn't apply to these nano's i guess, because one of the better ASIC Quality rated cards i have was unable to handle the -200 one, not even the -175mV one..

Anyhow, i should put that -200mV in big red letters. (can't edit the op anymore...)

So for those that are still going to flash, try with -125 first, then go lower and find the sweet spot!

Greetings!
    @Heliox You are talking about the memory voltage, right? The core voltage is still -100mV, correct? Do these roms vary in any other way from your original ones?
    dlehenky said:

@Heliox You are talking about the memory voltage, right? The core voltage is still -100mV, correct? Do these roms vary in any other way from your original ones?

Yeah, sorry, i'm talking bout the memory voltage :)

Set the core voltage at -100mV stock because you can change this with afterburner or trixx but you cannot do that for the memory voltage :)

Als, you can go to -112mV core voltage, this wasn't possible before either as AB could only go to -100mV.

DPE values have been changed as well.

That's something that hasn't been changed with the first versions.

Also, i'm working on something new now, been talking to the stilt a lot lately and i'm trying to modify them like he did with Hawaii a few years ago.

I'll keep this and the post over at bitcointalk updated :)

Greetings!
    Thanks! Have a great weekend!!
  • TermieTermie Member Posts: 130
    R9 Nano - MSI vs ASUS @Heliox

A few days ago I added a second R9 Nano (Asus) to my existing one (MSI).
    I´d adjusted them completely identical - 1078 MHz @ -66 mV voltage - both are running 100% stable.
    Today I noticed - with raising summer temps - that the Asus fan runs lower than the MSI and looked at details via HWInfo64. To my surprise the core voltage of the Asus is lower (1.119V) as the MSI's core (1.131V). So the Asus BIOS seems to have a lower factory-setting voltage? PCIe link speed is also lower at the Asus but I guess this is caused to the x1 PCIe riser (the MSI is plugged at a "real" x16 slot).

Compared the BIOS versions with GPU-Z afterwards. The MSI (right) seems to have the newer version but supports no UEFI, the ASUS (left) with the lower version number supports UEFI. Is this missing UEFI support disadvantageous in any way?

So can I read out and flash the Asus ROM to the MSI to save a little power consumption, noise and temperature?
  • deliciousminingdeliciousmining Member Posts: 49
    I have Asus R9 Fury and the same bios/subvendor as your Nano. Like wtf? According to anandtech review it is undervolted slightly, maybe Asus did the same for Nano.

Also is my VRM 41*C reading correct, what you think?

1.JPG 107.1K
    @Termie

Hey, those voltages are those under load.
    Stock, when doing nothing they're at 0.9v, always.

Every card reacts different on its own. One card will need more voltage to perform than the other.
    DPM states ......

You can check this for every card individually by installing AIDA64 and to do a video register dump.

So what you see is normal. It has nothing to do with the bios.

My modded bios is the same as the one you have on your MSI, the right one (you can download it from AMD, they shared it publicly).

Anyhow, every chip is different and will react differently.

I have 3 cards out of my entire farm that are unable to run my -100mV VDDC / -150 mV MVDDC while the others all are able to run my -100 / 175mV one..

And they're all bought at the same time, same brand, same rom :)

I can alter the bios suited to a specific card, i could do that to all of my cards as well, but if you have 100 of them, well, that would take A LOT of time :)
    AIDA Video registers ... :)

Greetings.
  • TermieTermie Member Posts: 130
    edited June 2016
    ok thanks for clearing up. Have you a ROM available which loweres only HBM clock + HBM voltage and don´t touch the GPU voltage? How many watt and primarily temp I could save (at a rough estimate) this way?

@deliciousmining I´m everything else than a hardware expert, but 41° sounds extraordinary low. Where do you run your miner, inside of a refrigerator? ^^
    Post edited by Termie on
    I'll try to create a package today, with all kinds of different roms with different offsets :)

Greetings!
    Ok, made a package.

A LOT of nano roms. +100..
    A few for the 390 nitro cards
    And the modded R9 390 roms for 290 reference cards. (Not mine, but included them)

156 roms in total

Will update when i have some time with new ones.

Greetings

link:

http://www.mininghwcomparison.com/RomPackage.zip

Thank you kind sir! Have a great day!
  • OilidOilid Member Posts: 68
    edited June 2016
    Wow thanks a lot.
  • th00berth00ber Member Posts: 213 ✭✭
    I just order a Sapphire 21249-00-40G (399€)
    I will add it on my gaming desktop and remove my old 7970 (~19MH/s Ethereum)
    So I will test some tweak when I got it to have it mining around 30Mh/s and with +50% boost in the games compare to my old 7970 ^^
    Check bitcointalk thread, i just updated the rom :)
    @Heliox https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=1424132.msg15418958#msg15418958
    What is the best thing I can use to still have good gaming perf and still reduce a bit the power consumption ?
    Just lower your core voltage in that case :)
    edited June 2016
    This can be done via Afterburner I guess (-100mV max with the slider ?), no need to flash ?
    The only thing you cannot change is memory voltage.. you can flash a rom with a -25mV core voltage offset and a -100mV memvoltage offset.. :)
    @Heliox From your experience, what is a safe core underclock for the 1000 Mhz stock ? -25mV is enough or I can reduce more ?
    PS : After I flash the -25/-100 rom, if I use the Vcore slider in AfterBurner to set it at -25mV; it will be actually -25mV from BIOS + -25mV from AfterBurner, so -50mV from stock ? That's how it works ?
    -100mV will hold perfectly fine for core 1000, make sure to lower your memory to 300Mh or 400Mh to keep it from throttling :)

Basically 400 is the correct setting because that's the exact strap setting.

But 300 will do just fine ;)

if you flash the -25/-100 rom and you lower the voltage it will be -50mV. Because there is already a -25mV offset written in the rom.

So sliding down that bar to -25 is basically -50 :wink:
    edited July 2016
    @heliox I recieve my R9 Nano yesterday. I just plug it and do a test. In gaming it's +60% for benchmark :)

@1000/500 with stock voltage, the GPU is actually at ~975 MHz and i'm hashing ~26.5 MH/s
    If I raise the powerlimit, I can reach the 1000 MHz and hash @ ~28.5MH/s

I tried to flash the -75vcore/-75vmem from you zip in bitcointalk but It crash on windows loading then I had to plug a second GPU to flash the original backup.

It's better to pick a ROM in your other package ? : http://www.mininghwcomparison.com/RomPackage.zip

For a 1000/500 GPU, what is your favorite ROM ? :)

PS : TriXX or AfterBurner don't let me change Vcore of GPU, So I have to flash
    edited July 2016
    Here is my BIOS backup if you want to check it (It's a Sapphire)
    Hey @th00ber

It's weird that the -75/-75 is giving you issues.

Did you follow all the steps?

As in removing display drivers with DDU and reinstalling them after the flash?
    You also did completely turn off your system after flashing right? (Turn off electricity).

When doing all the steps correctly, you shouldn't encounter any issues..

Greetings!
    @Heliox Probably my fault, I may have take some shortcut in the process :s
    (AtiWinFlash to inject your VBIOS, then a simple reboot of windows)
    But I don't remember having thoses kind of issues before with 7950 and 7970.

I'll try with your steps and test the -75/-75 again.
    But I have also a 7970 mining on the system, so I have to uninstall/reinstall this card too I guess.

You think it's safer to flash from atiflash in DOS mode (with bootable DOS USB Stick, so no AfterBurner or driver loaded in background), or Flash directly from windows with AtiWinFlash is ok too ?
    No, do not flash from dos. It will not work.

Just follow the steps and you'll be alright :)
  • stoonstoon Member Posts: 337 ✭✭✭
    @th00ber did you get your Nano to work? I am having problems with 2 used Nano's I bought. They keep crashing the driver when they start to mine with Claymore. They will run a benchmark but crash the driver when starting to mine.