Best Bang for Buck

jv0010jv0010 Member Posts: 24
Hey all - I am going to build an Ethereum mining rig. Now I want simply the best bang for buck around the $2000USD mark.

Just wondering what brand and model GPU's most miners are finding good to use. Or are there any example rigs out there I can copy?

Comments

  • syaoran99syaoran99 Member Posts: 204
    You'll never get your 2000USD back at this rate, I suggest you to buy ETH by itself rather than making a mining rig out of brand new components on top of that.

    Just my two cents.
  • jv0010jv0010 Member Posts: 24
    interesting. is that due to the projected difficulty?
  • un4givenun4given Member Posts: 172 ✭✭
    syaoran99 said:

    You'll never get your 2000USD back at this rate, I suggest you to buy ETH by itself rather than making a mining rig out of brand new components on top of that.

    Just my two cents.

    pretty correct two cents. Building a rig is only legit if you r sure that another coin which can be GPU mined will come. Thats the only hope. :)
  • syaoran99syaoran99 Member Posts: 204
    jv0010 said:

    interesting. is that due to the projected difficulty?

    It's not only projected difficulty. At the current difficulty taking into account Electricity bills, taxation responsibilities as well as declining value of ETH, it would incur a deficit instead of a profit in the coming months.

    Do remember that if your ETH is worth less tomorrow than it is today, You will still need to pay the tax price of the ETH today and not that of the value of ETH tomorrow. I discussed this in one of my threads as well with others confirming the Taxation responsibilities as well.

    Also based on calculation on the projected total ETH mineable in the given time compared to the ETH buyable at the prices, along with the probable estimation of time required for you to get your goods + set up the rig and have it running etc, you would have had more ETH with less tax responsibilities + ongoing costs to account for if you outright bought ETH.

    Hope this is a short enough summary for you.
  • philakonephilakone Member Posts: 163 ✭✭
    If you can't even do your own research when you want to spend $2,000, I suggest you get the fuck out of cryptocurrency because you don't have the capacity to think as an individual. LOL
  • HelioxHeliox Member, Moderator Posts: 634 mod
    edited April 2016
    philakone said:

    If you can't even do your own research when you want to spend $2,000, I suggest you get the fuck out of cryptocurrency because you don't have the capacity to think as an individual. LOL

    What a wonderful comment.. congratulations to you sir! You just won the "I invested a lot of money and got crypto-raped so i bash other people." award! B)
  • syaoran99syaoran99 Member Posts: 204
    philakone said:

    If you can't even do your own research when you want to spend $2,000, I suggest you get the fuck out of cryptocurrency because you don't have the capacity to think as an individual. LOL

    I don't see the need for you to be so hostile and rude to another person no matter your position on something.
  • rawmeenrawmeen Member Posts: 79
    That comment is very hostile and rude yet so very true.
  • th00berth00ber Member Posts: 213 ✭✭
    edited April 2016
    Crypto world is a risky world. So If you can accept the fact that you can loose the invest, it's ok.
    I you really want to get into ... why not building a rig :)

    Here is my advise :)

    mobo ~80$ : H97 Anniversary (socket 1150) or H81 Pro BTC (socket 1155)
    CPU ~55$ : A cheap CPU that fit in the mobo
    PSU ~180$ : A Gold 1000W or
    PSU ~250$ : A Gold 1600W (depending of your total need of power)
    SSD ~40$ : 60/120GB (or FREE if you got an old SATA HDD)
    RAM ~40$ : 4GB DDR3
    GPU
    ~150$ old 7950 3Go from 2013 (~18-19Mh/s )
    ~175$ old 7970 3Go from 2013 (~19-21Mh/s)
    ~200$ new R9 370 4Go (~16-17Mh/s)
    ~250$ new R9 380 4Go (~18-20Mh/s)
    ~350$ new R9 390 (~27-28Mh/s)

    You could probably support 5 GPU per mobo with 1000W PSU if you undervolt the cards :)
    Especially with R9 370 that consume less watt.

    1 rig of 5 R9 370 ~1450$ for 85Mh/s I guess.
    1 rig of second hand cards 5 7950/7970 ~1350$ for 95Mh/s
    1 rig of 4 R9 390 ~1850$ for 110 Mh/s

    PS : From my own experience.
    I started in 2013 with a few cards.
    If I had invest $$ in dogecoin instead of building a rig, having trouble with faulty cards, some hard night with multiple crash etc ... I would have earn much more !

    And if I had invest into dashcoin instead of mining it, I would have win much more.
    And finally, If I had invest into Ethereum instead of minig it ... same thing :D

    Mining the good coins is not difficult ... but 2000$ is 250 Ethereum.
    Even if you find a better rig building list, with 2000$ you could probably build something with 110-120Mh/s
    For something like 1200/1500W at wall ?
    Right now : https://etherscan.io/ether-mining-calculator
    120Mh/s = 373$/month or 48 Eth/month with free electricty

    More than 5 month just to mine enough ETH to recover the money.
  • jv0010jv0010 Member Posts: 24
    th00ber said:

    Crypto world is a risky world. So If you can accept the fact that you can loose the invest, it's ok.
    I you really want to get into ... why not building a rig :)

    Here is my advise :)

    mobo ~80$ : H97 Anniversary (socket 1150) or H81 Pro BTC (socket 1155)
    CPU ~55$ : A cheap CPU that fit in the mobo
    PSU ~180$ : A Gold 1000W or
    PSU ~250$ : A Gold 1600W (depending of your total need of power)
    SSD ~40$ : 60/120GB (or FREE if you got an old SATA HDD)
    RAM ~40$ : 4GB DDR3
    GPU
    ~150$ old 7950 3Go from 2013 (~18-19Mh/s )
    ~175$ old 7970 3Go from 2013 (~19-21Mh/s)
    ~200$ new R9 370 4Go (~16-17Mh/s)
    ~250$ new R9 380 4Go (~18-20Mh/s)
    ~350$ new R9 390 (~27-28Mh/s)

    You could probably support 5 GPU per mobo with 1000W PSU if you undervolt the cards :)
    Especially with R9 370 that consume less watt.

    1 rig of 5 R9 370 ~1450$ for 85Mh/s I guess.
    1 rig of second hand cards 5 7950/7970 ~1350$ for 95Mh/s
    1 rig of 4 R9 390 ~1850$ for 110 Mh/s

    PS : From my own experience.
    I started in 2013 with a few cards.
    If I had invest $$ in dogecoin instead of building a rig, having trouble with faulty cards, some hard night with multiple crash etc ... I would have earn much more !

    And if I had invest into dashcoin instead of mining it, I would have win much more.
    And finally, If I had invest into Ethereum instead of minig it ... same thing :D

    Mining the good coins is not difficult ... but 2000$ is 250 Ethereum.
    Even if you find a better rig building list, with 2000$ you could probably build something with 110-120Mh/s
    For something like 1200/1500W at wall ?
    Right now : https://etherscan.io/ether-mining-calculator
    120Mh/s = 373$/month or 48 Eth/month with free electricty

    More than 5 month just to mine enough ETH to recover the money.

    mate thank you for the detailed response. duly noted and yes I think investing in ether is better.
  • syaoran99syaoran99 Member Posts: 204
    jv0010 said:

    th00ber said:

    Crypto world is a risky world. So If you can accept the fact that you can loose the invest, it's ok.
    I you really want to get into ... why not building a rig :)

    Here is my advise :)

    mobo ~80$ : H97 Anniversary (socket 1150) or H81 Pro BTC (socket 1155)
    CPU ~55$ : A cheap CPU that fit in the mobo
    PSU ~180$ : A Gold 1000W or
    PSU ~250$ : A Gold 1600W (depending of your total need of power)
    SSD ~40$ : 60/120GB (or FREE if you got an old SATA HDD)
    RAM ~40$ : 4GB DDR3
    GPU
    ~150$ old 7950 3Go from 2013 (~18-19Mh/s )
    ~175$ old 7970 3Go from 2013 (~19-21Mh/s)
    ~200$ new R9 370 4Go (~16-17Mh/s)
    ~250$ new R9 380 4Go (~18-20Mh/s)
    ~350$ new R9 390 (~27-28Mh/s)

    You could probably support 5 GPU per mobo with 1000W PSU if you undervolt the cards :)
    Especially with R9 370 that consume less watt.

    1 rig of 5 R9 370 ~1450$ for 85Mh/s I guess.
    1 rig of second hand cards 5 7950/7970 ~1350$ for 95Mh/s
    1 rig of 4 R9 390 ~1850$ for 110 Mh/s

    PS : From my own experience.
    I started in 2013 with a few cards.
    If I had invest $$ in dogecoin instead of building a rig, having trouble with faulty cards, some hard night with multiple crash etc ... I would have earn much more !

    And if I had invest into dashcoin instead of mining it, I would have win much more.
    And finally, If I had invest into Ethereum instead of minig it ... same thing :D

    Mining the good coins is not difficult ... but 2000$ is 250 Ethereum.
    Even if you find a better rig building list, with 2000$ you could probably build something with 110-120Mh/s
    For something like 1200/1500W at wall ?
    Right now : https://etherscan.io/ether-mining-calculator
    120Mh/s = 373$/month or 48 Eth/month with free electricty

    More than 5 month just to mine enough ETH to recover the money.

    mate thank you for the detailed response. duly noted and yes I think investing in ether is better.
    I would recommend you not using the ETH mining calculator. It's one of the worst ways to estimate your overall income.

    The projected 48 ETH is never an amount that you could dream to achieve. Realisticly speaking, each 120Mh only gives you about actual hashrate of 105Mh how do I know? I have that exact setup. That said, with 105Mh, you only hash about 1.3ETH a day that's roughly 40 ETH a month only.

    Considering that since the beginning of mining period, Amount of ETH received every month reduces by 35% you won't get 40ETH the next month. You only get 26 ETH.

    The month after that you only get 16.9 ETH and so on and so forth.

    At that progressive rate
    You will need 31 months to get back 250 Ethereum not 5 months.
  • ThatDudeThereThatDudeThere Member Posts: 135
    I ignored the warnings and went with 6 Asus Strix R7 370's for $159. It only needs 1000 watts, and total is 94.1 mh/s, and that is overclocked. I'm getting an average of 1 eth per day, which will take me 4-5 months to pay the $1300ish back. In a way I'm glad I did it for my curiosity, but probably not worth it. The first couple of days I made money I got this bug to buy more rigs. Then I did the math. Time will tell.
Sign In or Register to comment.