Geth, Docker and private testnet

Here is a set up I have been working on and am having issues with ability to create a private network with peers.
Basic set up: Used the dockerfile from https://github.com/ethereum/ethereum-dockers/tree/master/go-ethereum-base, and added a line for installation of ethereum to the image.
1. Upon creation of the image, I ran 2 instances of the image, (note that both contain basic custom genesis json file)
docker run -it -p 127.0.0.1:30303:30303 -p 3001:3001 --name e1
docker run -it -p 127.0.0.1:30304:30304 -p 3002:3002 --name e2 --link e1:e1
2. Next, I attached to the container, e1 and ran the following command:
geth --identity "ethnode1" --datadir "/tempdatadir1" --rpc --port "30303" --rpccorsdomain "*" --rpcport "3001" --genesis genesis.json --networkid 6161 --ipcapi "admin,db,eth,debug,miner,net,shh,txpool,personal,web3" --rpcapi "db,eth,net,web3" --nat "any" --maxpeers 2 console
This launched a geth console, wherein I am able to check the node info using commands such as admin.nodeInfo, etc. Extracted the enode value for connecting the second node: "enode://@[::]:30303"
Exit console using crtl-c
3. Attached to the container e2, and ran the following command:
geth --identity "ethnode2" --datadir "/tempdatadir2" --rpc --port "30304" --rpccorsdomain "*" --rpcport "3002" --genesis genesis.json --networkid 6161 --ipcapi "admin,db,eth,debug,miner,net,shh,txpool,personal,web3" --rpcapi "db,eth,net,web3" --nat "any" --maxpeers 2 console
This launched a geth console, wherein I am able to check the node info using commands such as admin.nodeInfo, etc. At this point, I tried adding the first node using the following command: admin.addPeer("enode://@127.0.0.1:30303"), which returns true.
However, when I try to list the peers using either admin.Peers, I see an empty array and using net.peerCount gives 0.

Suggestions, as to how the connectivity between the two can be enabled?
- Is it that the wrong IP address is being used? In general, is it possible to utilize a specific IP address from the host by forwarding the IP Address appropriately.
- Should the console not be exited in Step 2 above?
- In either of the above cases, how do we connect to an existing geth instance? I tried using geth attach "http://127.0.0.1:3001", but it gave me an error saying, connection refused. Any suggestions as to how we can attach to an existing geth instance?

Comments