Why you SHOULD NOT MINE Ethereum now with more rigs

Comments

• ThatDudeThereThatDudeThere Member Posts: 135
    Well gaming difficulty is going way up, and also the price of cards is going down with Polaris coming, so it may be bad.
  • syaoran99syaoran99 Member Posts: 204

Well gaming difficulty is going way up, and also the price of cards is going down with Polaris coming, so it may be bad.

Ah ic. That's why. Gotcha. Well I don't think I can wait till a consumer version is released for Polaris and besides it's still not going to be able to beat the Pro Duos in terms of single card power for now. Until a polaris GPU duo is created (Based on past occasions)

Still thanks for the advice! I just hope that two of these monsters are enough for future VR gaming content.
    Polaris Duo is a genius idea. Seriously though, the gaming difficulty just went up 27% since my last post. lol

Polaris Duo is a genius idea. Seriously though, the gaming difficulty just went up 27% since my last post. lol

where do you even see the gaming difficulty
    edited April 2016
    It's in the settings menu.

Edit: ok I have to stop. LOL Dude I'm messing with you!
    edited April 2016

@syaoran99 You SHOULD NOT be gaming on 2 Pro Duos. You should buy AMD stock instead.

This was me being you. I can't beleive you didn't catch that. :D

@syaoran99 You SHOULD NOT be gaming on 2 Pro Duos. You should buy AMD stock instead.

This was me being you. I can't beleive you didn't catch that. :D
    I don't see the relation tho lol. Ethereum difficulty has a chart that can be followed. Hence why I asked where the gaming difficulty comes from.

I'm honestly not doing any sort of false advertisement. What I'm telling people is the genuine truth that could be obtained and shown with calculated proof.
  • blueboxbluebox Member Posts: 181 ✭✭

gaming difficulty

:D
  • workwork Member Posts: 2,084 ✭✭✭✭
    Marvell9 said:

@work
    Why would you buy the duo at $1500 to $1200 when you can get two nanos for under 1k

In a word, resale.
  • rdnkjdirdnkjdi Member Posts: 135 ✭✭
    Looks like they're sold out already. I found an obscure place but can't decide between them and the nanos. The nanos have the custom ROMs that allow undervolting to 80w with 22mh output
    rdnkjdi said:

Looks like they're sold out already. I found an obscure place but can't decide between them and the nanos. The nanos have the custom ROMs that allow undervolting to 80w with 22mh output

You can do that yourself with any BIOS pretty easily.
  • antoanto Member Posts: 8
    ETH price seems to drop badly...
  • antoanto Member Posts: 8
    Mmh maybe I was wrong....Lmao
  • Marvell9Marvell9 Member Posts: 593 ✭✭✭
    work said:

rdnkjdi said:

Not so easy I tried that with 3 of my 390s and bricked them I wish someone with skills would create mem and core and voltage Roms for my Msi 390s
  • rdnkjdirdnkjdi Member Posts: 135 ✭✭
    edited May 2016
    There is on bitcointalk .. .hang on

Here you go. https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=1424132.msg14645196#msg14645196

P.S. They have dual roms don't they? There should be a switch you can flip to get them back on with the backup rom.
  • HelioxHeliox Member, Moderator Posts: 634 mod
    edited May 2016
    work said:

rdnkjdi said:

Yeah? For someone who has never done this. "Easy" is out of the question.

Never seen you being postive about someone or anything before..

I modded these roms with the intention of getting as much out of my nano's as i could get and as low as i could go regarding power.

Then i shared them without wanting anything for it, same as for my hardware comparison website, also something i did for free just for the community.

A bit more positive would be appreciated though. :)
  • HelioxHeliox Member, Moderator Posts: 634 mod
    edited May 2016
    Marvell9 said:

work said:

rdnkjdi said:

Not so easy I tried that with 3 of my 390s and bricked them I wish someone with skills would create mem and core and voltage Roms for my Msi 390s
    Hawaii and memory voltage = a completely different story than fiji.

With fiji it's rather easy. With Hawaii not.

I had to alter the rom to be able to lower the memory voltage (and not just change a value....)

My 390 nitro's are at this moment hashing away with -75mV memory.

I will release this when they're stable for more than 24hrs.

When that's done, send me a register dump + your rom and i'll do the mod for you.

Register dump can be done with AIDA64.
    rdnkjdi said:

There is on bitcointalk .. .hang on

Here you go. https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=1424132.msg14645196#msg14645196

P.S. They have dual roms don't they? There should be a switch you can flip to get them back on with the backup rom.

Yes they have dual roms :)

Greetings
    @Heliox I certainly wasn't criticizing your ROM offerings. I personally wouldn't use someone else's BIOS tho.

Overclock.net usually has all the information you need to modify any given card.

Fiji: http://www.overclock.net/t/1592384/fiji-bios-editing-fury-fury-x-nano
    Hawaii: http://www.overclock.net/t/1561372/hawaii-bios-editing-290-290x-295x2-390-390x
    etc
  • dittoditto Member Posts: 139 ✭✭
    ..just bumping this thread..

..and still laughing..
    you know who else is laughing? ME. Look what my ETH bought me!

G416G said:

let me know if that monitor is any good

It's great! But if you're using a Nvidia, then go for the predator x34. It's HEAPS better for gaming due to 100Hz refresh rate.

Loving the rig so much. So glad I bought ETH when it was low rather than buy a new rig to mine. Now I get to splurge on this with the profits already reaped in within only 2 weeks lol. God bless that 15% price increase. More to come!
  • o0ragman0oo0ragman0o Member, Moderator Posts: 1,291 mod
    @syaoran99 Just to flog a dead horse. I addressed all your arguments way back in March looking at difficulty scenarios up to 40TH which shows unequivocally than mining rigs are far more profitable than buying eth for just about all likely scenarios.

You can read the full essay here

Enjoy your Pro Duo's, please tell me you're actually going to put them to real work and not just play games. Maybe another 5 monitors might encourage the Duo's to get out of bed?
  • 0x000x00 Member Posts: 55
    big gpus, much wow, very electric, ether to the moon
    edited May 2016

@syaoran99 Just to flog a dead horse. I addressed all your arguments way back in March looking at difficulty scenarios up to 40TH which shows unequivocally than mining rigs are far more profitable than buying eth for just about all likely scenarios.

You can read the full essay here

Enjoy your Pro Duo's, please tell me you're actually going to put them to real work and not just play games. Maybe another 5 monitors might encourage the Duo's to get out of bed?

Oh I never came across your thread. Thanks for linking it and I'll definitely have a look at it. Regarding the amount of extra ETH/USD value I got extra from the 15% increase by using that same amount of cash to buy ETH instead of mining rigs, I earned like almost 15000USD worth of it over the past week. Hence I'm rewarding myself with the above rig. With the same amount of money invested which is 100,000USD

If I spent that 100,000 USD I'd be getting 50 extra rigs to mine but then again i'd need to find space to put that 50 Rigs,(i'm maxed out my supply) Takes a while to sign a lease and get connection for electricity/internet approx 1 week fastest. Anyways lets say I get everything connected INSTANTLY, in one week's time that 100,000USD worth of rigs would only generate me approx 300 ETH. That's 3000USD at best. Additionally I don't need to minus running costs such as Electricity bills and connection fees and rental fees. It was a way better investment for me instead of competing with miners with an ever increasing hashrate.

That said, no the rig above is not just for gaming. Well it is mostly, especially for upcoming VR games hehe. But I also use it to render 3D graphics for my Architectural works. :)

That said, for every miner, it's a transition, at some point when you have enough money mined to make trading profits good enough to sustain your expenses, you switch from mining to full time trading. It earns you WAY more income than what mining could over time and there are less issues to worry about long term as you get to cash everything out and liquidate for cash much faster than you could with your mining gears.
  • dittoditto Member Posts: 139 ✭✭
    -still laughing-
  • o0ragman0oo0ragman0o Member, Moderator Posts: 1,291 mod
    @syaoran99, I can't help but think that your 15% profit isn't anything spectacular in this field especially when we saw 3000% increases over a few months up to March and 5000% above the original Ethereum crowd funding. But now that you up, are you going to short your $100000 before the cataclysmic dive that you predict after the DAO funding closes?
    edited May 2016

@syaoran99, I can't help but think that your 15% profit isn't anything spectacular in this field especially when we saw 3000% increases over a few months up to March and 5000% above the original Ethereum crowd funding. But now that you up, are you going to short your $100000 before the cataclysmic dive that you predict after the DAO funding closes?

Of course 15% profit isn't. But we're talking about what I made in the past week compared to what the mining rigs would've made me in the past week.

If we're going to talk about price increase since the start of Ethereum, then my stance of mining would be different as well because the situation was way different it's so much easier to mine Ethereum back then than it is now. Odds of Ethereum hitting 10 USD back then was better than what the odds are for Ethereum to hit 100/200USD. Again you could only have mined 10mil ETH given the same timeframe while you would've been able to buy SO MUCH MORE ETH back in pre-sale with the same cash you use to buy rigs lol.

But I won't be going there because I wasn't here during resale and I wouldn't know much. What I know is the profits I'm making now mostly comes from trading ETH. Not Mining.I now make money as it goes up and down. Miners only make money one way. UP.

I won't be shorting just yet. Only after the DAO sale. Unless something out of the ordinary happens.

P.S also I get the feeling people think I'm bragging about 15% I'm not. Just mentioning the figures as I go and it's what I'm contented with because it's still more money than what I'd earn mining. I'm a small time student trader. Not even enough to make a half assed wall to move a market. Just putting information out there for those with tons of money that want to mine to consider how they can make more money. Or maybe an accumulation of small people like me which makes a huge impact in the end.
  • bbcoinbbcoin Member Posts: 377 ✭✭✭
    Not sure if serious or just plain stupid.

Investing money is a gamble. Your digits can evaporate over night and you are left with nothing.

Mining rigs are pure investment with the ability to calculate your exact return.
    Mining rigs won't evaporte in case of failure. You will still be able to sell them and salvage a lot of money.

@syaoran99 keep in mind you're not on ethtrader
    So mining hashrate has increased and just recently I've been made aware of this post how true is this? That means mining is doomed to be unprofitable come November 2016 even without more people mining!

http://ethereum.stackexchange.com/questions/3779/when-will-the-difficulty-bomb-make-mining-impossible/3800#3800

This is worrying. So all the false FUD about eth being unlimited is all BS. Look at the block times! Means less eth is made per day from mining and will eventually be only 5 eth a day for the WHOLE network by mid next year? Hope they increase the block reward to suit tho.
  • bctopicsbctopics Member Posts: 333 ✭✭
    syaoran99 said:

So mining hashrate has increased and just recently I've been made aware of this post how true is this? That means mining is doomed to be unprofitable come November 2016 even without more people mining!

http://ethereum.stackexchange.com/questions/3779/when-will-the-difficulty-bomb-make-mining-impossible/3800#3800

This is worrying. So all the false FUD about eth being unlimited is all BS. Look at the block times! Means less eth is made per day from mining and will eventually be only 5 eth a day for the WHOLE network by mid next year? Hope they increase the block reward to suit tho.

They would have to increase the reward or zero people will mine.