Forum migration update
Yesterday, a followup post
was made on Reddit about the fate of the "official" forums as a response to our inital feedback collected in January
- Regretably, we were not aware of the popularity of the forums with miners. We have seen very little engagement from self-identifying miners in many other channels (Stack Exchange, Gitter, Reddit, Meetup, Blog, Twitter, YouTube, Facebook)
- Migrating the forums away from Ethereum Foundation control is part of the larger vision for DAOification, written about many times on the blog
- Many resources were initially developed centrally to facilitate bootstraping the ecosystem, but several of those resources are being spun out into private or independant entities (ConsenSys, EthCore, EthStats, EthDocs, etc.)
- The Ethereum Foundation has been consolidating servers and services since Winter 2015. Closing down the forums is part of effort to save costs and reduce administrative overhead, which is aligned with the goals of smart contracts and DAOs. This leaves us with more time to focus on R&D for light client, scalability improvements, and beyond
- In general, communities should self-moderate and self-fund to remain as independant as possible of Ethereum Foundation or any other community. It's healthy for the ecosystem that several communities to exist on different corners of the internet
- The current hosted forum costs $300/mo. The Ethereum blockchain protocol releases a 5 ETH block subsidy every 15 seconds, equating to approximately $45,000/day. Compared with the cost of running the forum at less than $10 per day, miner self-hosting equivalent forum would cost 0.02% of the daily protocol subsidy (that's 2/100 of 1%)
- We are happy to hand the keys over to the existing forums if the forum community can identify:
- who pays?
- who moderates?
- what URL it can live under (there are legal implications when using an "official" domain)?
Current migration proposal:
- Host an archive read-only copy of existing forum content that can be used to seed new self-moderated/self-funded forums
- Post migration notice + new resource links on forum.ethereum.org
Miner migration proposal: