Forums going away - where will the mining community go?

124»

Comments

• hasherhasher ✭✭✭ Member Posts: 642 ✭✭✭
    @dr_pra I think you should open it already since someone else here has just opened etherforums.org and people have already started migrating there
  • dr_pradr_pra ✭✭✭ Member Posts: 445 ✭✭✭
    If we start the new forum now it will be very problematic to migrate the contents of this forum later on.
  • retherrether ✭✭ Member Posts: 258 ✭✭
    3 more days by my count...
  • dlehenkydlehenky ✭✭✭✭ Member Posts: 2,249 ✭✭✭✭
    @rether Seems as though the forum is already drying up, considerably. I'll keep coming here until:
    a. @dr_pra announces it's moving to his shop;
    b. it's redirected somewhere; or
    c. the URL doesn't load anymore.
    Still no response from the foundation!
  • hasherhasher ✭✭✭ Member Posts: 642 ✭✭✭
  • ThatDudeThereThatDudeThere Member Posts: 135
    Forum is still kicking, but seems like some people are missing. Soooooo where did they go?
  • workwork ✭✭✭✭ Member Posts: 2,084 ✭✭✭✭

Forum is still kicking, but seems like some people are missing. Soooooo where did they go?

Waiting to see what the heck is happening with the forum.
  • ThanksForAllTheFishThanksForAllTheFish Member Posts: 1
    I just joined today to say So Long...

Like many people around forums like these, I never signed up, never posted, never asked a question, never commented, but I read and learned a whole lot from this soon-to-be-disbanded community.
  • dlehenkydlehenky ✭✭✭✭ Member Posts: 2,249 ✭✭✭✭
    @work Great to see you! For all practical purposes, I think they've already killed the forum. :(
  • workwork ✭✭✭✭ Member Posts: 2,084 ✭✭✭✭
    dlehenky said:

@work Great to see you! For all practical purposes, I think they've already killed the forum. :(

Hm, yes and no. There's still decent activity and they didn't flip the switch today. I am waiting to see.
  • rdnkjdirdnkjdi ✭✭ Member Posts: 135 ✭✭
    There's been a pretty big backlash on bitcointalk. The altcrowd has always hated ethereum so that's to be expected. Still seems like needlessy bad PR. Maybe they are re-considering?
    The ethereum foundation was never good at defining and keeping deadlines. Why should it be different now ;)
  • bbcoinbbcoin ✭✭✭ Member Posts: 377 ✭✭✭
    dr_pra said:

The ethereum foundation was never good at defining and keeping deadlines. Why should it be different now ;)

Burn ;)
  • happytreefriendshappytreefriends ✭✭✭ Member Posts: 537 ✭✭✭
    I just read this thread. This forum is getting shut down? Why?
    If need be I can have one open in no time as I have my own servers and plenty of resources.

I just read this thread. This forum is getting shut down? Why?
    If need be I can have one open in no time as I have my own servers and plenty of resources.

I think the problem is that there are already a few alternatives. But none have downloaded the current forums content. The eth foundation said they were excited to work with someone to try to export / provide it and then went silent (also pretty typical for the foundation.).

I really don't know what their deal is. I've had this happen several times on stuff that just isn't that difficult to communicate. They promise to communicate and then don't.
  • MrYukonCMrYukonC ✭✭✭ Member Posts: 627 ✭✭✭
    rdnkjdi said:

The eth foundation said they were excited to work with someone to try to export / provide it and then went silent (also pretty typical for the foundation.).

I really don't know what their deal is.

Well, they have a massive DAO release coming up, which I'm 100% sure will trump anything forum-related in terms of publicity and fundraising.

Thus, some patience is probably called for in this case.

I'm confident the forum situation will get resolved in some way that satisfies most, if not everybody.
    edited April 2016
    Yeah but here is what it takes to resolve communication issues.

"Unlike we said (forums will shut down on the 26th) this issues is being discussed further internally".

Or to dr_pra

"We are excited about you taking the content and hosting it somewhere else. Will have to wait until we have more bandwidth."

One sentence can go a long way to help your credibility when you change your mind on what you're going to do. Stating you are going to do something (work to migrate the forums by X date) and then not going to the trouble of explaining what the status is is simply unprofessional. I wouldn't have a job if I treated the communication at the small business I work for with this much flippancy.

But like I said - pretty standard operating procedure. They also stated they would be posting on their reddit what exchanges would support Eth "as soon as they knew" and two days later AFTER official announcements they never did. So I had to go hunt down all the release articles and post it (along with my critique of promising communication they never delivered on.) Some guy told me he wanted to talk to me personally and asked for my Skype information - added me and then of course never had a conversation.

They are long on promising communication and then never delivering. I can excuse needing bandwidth and not being able to deliver - but communication takes literally 30 seconds.

But then again I suppose doing what you say you are going to do or explaining why you aren't going to do it is old fashioned just like forums. Probably we should have DOA to replace that and then we wouldn't have these issues anymore. Voice recorders will upload conversations to the DOA incentivized cloud then blockchain activated bots will filter out any sensitive information and then self governing reputational voting can make whatever is relevant go to the top so we can know real time what's going on in the foundation (that isn't sensitive information). Until then - why bother using antiquated methods like relying on people following up on promised communication? It's a centralized point of failure. DOAs FTW
    Post edited by rdnkjdi on