Windows hangs/freeze after added 4th gpu

Martins2040Martins2040 Member Posts: 27
edited April 2016 in IoT & Hardware
Hello all, I got a little rig with 3 gpu that has been running fine (650 watt).

I just got a good offer on a 7970, so i added that as the 4th card - but now windows hangs 30 sec within logon.
They are all on USB3 risers.

It could be driver related? I run 15.12, that should handle it i recon?
I could mention its an older mobo+E8400 core 2, 8 gig ram.
It has 5 pcix ports.
And i got a Enermax 1000w.

Comments

• Martins2040Martins2040 Member Posts: 27
    Well i fixed mostly the problem by changing the motherboard. For some reason it couldnt work with the USB risers and more than 3 cards. Its was an old Asus p5K 775 board.
    Had a similar one, that accepted all cards right from first login.

:)
  • 390g390g Member Posts: 45
    are you adding the 4th GPU in a 1X PCI.... I had similar problem.... my motherboard does not like when I connect the GPU to 1x PCI.
  • Martins2040Martins2040 Member Posts: 27
    390g said:

are you adding the 4th GPU in a 1X PCI.... I had similar problem.... my motherboard does not like when I connect the GPU to 1x PCI.

Yea i must admit is very odd. Switching port back and forth with all the cards makes Windows "reset" irq and system needs to reinstall the cards.

It doesnt matter what slot the card is in. Though the very first pcix_16 is your primary card. Im sure you know.

Yea the old MOBO i had was sick...
  • dolleminerdolleminer Member Posts: 50
    I suggest to get AsRock H81 Pro TBC. its cheap and it works like a train. I am running 6 GPU with 2x 1000W power supply (The GPU will be changed to R9 490 so I can use 1 Power supply)