MIST + html/js

maxxflyermaxxflyer Member Posts: 30
Mr Orange created a contract at a given address using Mist
All variables and functions are public

Mr Black comes later, he knows the address and he has a copy of the former solidity contract.

1) Can Mr Black, later, create a html+js interface and transform the contract into a real web3 site accessible by third party?
2) Can he do it without asking anything to Mr Orange?

Comments

• o0ragman0oo0ragman0o Member, Moderator Posts: 1,291 mod
    1) Given that all contracts are public, as long as someone has the address and JSON interface they can make whatever front-end they like. What do you mean 'has a copy'? Does Mr Black intend to deploy his own parallel version at some different address?

2) There is nothing stopping them. So dev's should perhaps assume an open source attitude so as not to have their feelings hurt.
  • maxxflyermaxxflyer Member Posts: 30
    No, the point was: can I create and deploy a contract now and LATER once I understand how to build html/js I will produce a web3 site? I needed to understand whether the two things are independent or not, since once you deploy a contract you can't change it anymore. thanks for the answer.
    @maxxflyer Yes, they are independent. The HTML/JS frontend uses the web3.js library and you tell your DAPP (HTML page) the contract address and the JSON interface of the contract and interact with the contract through web3.js.
    But as you specified Mist, I don't think it has full DAPP front end functionality yet. You can use a web browser instead.