ethOS download

sweetdoodysweetdoody Member Posts: 13
Where can I download ethOS without buying it from GPUshack?
On ethosdistro.com under licensing it says the following:

ethOS is free software: you can redistribute it and/or modify it under the terms of the GNU General Public License as published by the Free Software Foundation, either version 3 of the License, or (at your option) any later version.

So where is the download :)

Comments

• thesmokingmanthesmokingman Member Posts: 152 ✭✭
    Are you serious? I highly doubt anyone who has paid money out of their own pocket for ethOS will just give it to you for free or "redistribute" it without some sort of compensation.

Sounds like you'd be better served using the software in this thread:

https://forum.ethereum.org/discussion/comment/28114/#Comment_28114
  • dittoditto Member Posts: 139 ✭✭
    It does seem confusing to me as well, I mean you buy it and can install it on multiple miners, but on the front page they say if you do some goat with red eyes will get you!!
    ditto said:

It does seem confusing to me as well, I mean you buy it and can install it on multiple miners, but on the front page they say if you do some goat with red eyes will get you!!

It's a joke.
  • dittoditto Member Posts: 139 ✭✭

ditto said:

It's a joke.
    I highly doubt the website would lie, you don't know!

One day you install on 2nd miner machine, the next you know a goat with red eyes is chewing your eyes out..
    Yeah I made the mistake of installing it on two additional rigs, and I won't even go into details of what that damn goat did to me lastnight...
  • happytreefriendshappytreefriends Member Posts: 537 ✭✭✭
    Buy it, try it, if you don't like it, get a refund. My buddy just did that a few days ago after he tried it and read a very improper posts the developer/creator had written in response to criticism of his product. He got refunded with no issues through Paypal.
  • JPSJPS Member Posts: 63

Buy it, try it, if you don't like it, get a refund. My buddy just did that a few days ago after he tried it and read a very improper posts the developer/creator had written in response to criticism of his product. He got refunded with no issues through Paypal.

Then I guess PayPal is pretty inconsistent... I didn't get a refund :(
  • sweetdoodysweetdoody Member Posts: 13

Are you serious? I highly doubt anyone who has paid money out of their own pocket for ethOS will just give it to you for free or "redistribute" it without some sort of compensation.

Sounds like you'd be better served using the software in this thread:

https://forum.ethereum.org/discussion/comment/28114/#Comment_28114

Not very serious :P I thought it was weird they claim it is free software that you can redistribute, but they then sell it as a digital download.
  • newmznewmz AustraliaMember Posts: 299 ✭✭✭
    Looks like the same thing, but I'm not sure if the ebay one is "official" or not. should ask @kotarius
  • kotariuskotarius Member Posts: 331 ✭✭✭
    edited August 2016
    I have no control over that listing, it is not one of ours (first time I see it, actually).

You can use promo code BULKLICENSE to match that listing for $29 at http://gpushack.com/collections/gpushack

The promo code applies to the SSD as well.
  • SashSash Member Posts: 56
    If ethos is asking you to pay for it under the GNU then they are in breach of this license.
  • kotariuskotarius Member Posts: 331 ✭✭✭
    edited August 2016
    Sash said:

If ethos is asking you to pay for it under the GNU then they are in breach of this license.

Please quote source material regarding this.
  • mmxmmx Montreal, QCMember Posts: 110 ✭✭
    Sash said:

No. GNU allows you to charge for your services, distribution efforts, and software (even if it's free/open source applications) as long as you share the source code (or make it freely available) and credit the original authors. The person who then acquires the software (or license) can do anything with he or she pleases afterwards. That is the GNU license in a nutshell: to make software freely available, not necessarily free. RTFL.

In other words, you can buy ethOS and do anything you want with it later on, including giving it away for free or modify it to your liking, as long as you share the source code and credit the original authors.

Also, some OSS licenses allow you to distribute open source and proprietary closed-source code together.

While I have no interest in using ethOS, I've actually conducted business with @kotarius through eBay. All I can say is that he knows what he's doing when it comes to being an entrepreneur, and unfortunately "haters gon hate."
  • MaguaryMaguary Member Posts: 59
    ethOS is all that bad? Why refunding?
  • twentyfourseventwentyfourseven Member Posts: 9
    I just got done using ETHOS, it's been a few months, so felt compelled to share my experience. DON'T buy it. It's supposedly "more stable" but was NOT stable at all for me, and the biggest issue I had because of that is the fact that even when you spend countless hours trying to get a straight answer on how to get it to reboot when the miner crashes, half the time it NEVER successfully reboots, so you loose a lot of mining when it happens at night. Had luck with it rebooting on it's own only a few times. Sometimes you have to reformat the drive to get anything at all out of it.

Tried countless different settings, finally could get it stable for 2 days, that was about it. HATED it with a passion but it was the only solution for my 12 card rig. Used WAY more power as well at the wall. HORRIBLE OS if you ask me, but I am sure there are those who love it?

Finally now I am back to 8 cards again on this rig and thankfully back to windows 10 stable again! YAY! I gave it more than a fair chance and my final conclusion was FAIL. Sorry guys, hope someone else has better luck than I did. I was using Nvidia cards, maybe amd is a better choice, I have no idea.

To top it off the tech support seem to be childish kids with an attitude, they get defensive real easy so you have to baby them to get a straight answer. So glad to be done with it to be honest, but I will admit I tend to be a harsh critic.

Again, maybe AMD is better, or maybe others found the magic trick to get it to work properly. I wish I could get those hours of my life back wasted on that crap. lol : )