Will this build work + suggestions

BreeBree Member Posts: 9
Hello everyone, I'm building a new miner since I enjoyed mining with my GTX970 and want to take it to another level now.
I was planning to get 4 Radeon HD 7950 or R9 280x cards (or 2 of each? is that recommended?) since that wall fall into my budget.
What is the recommended motherboard for mining? Maybe one with support for up to 6 GPU's for future upgrade?
Also 1x 4GB ram will be enough I suppose. But what CPU is recommended? Any i3 with fan included?

As for risers, this will depend on the motherboard suggested I guess, but if you can please tell me which ones Ill need with the specified mobo. Is it recommened that they are powered risers?
And I was planning got a moderately priced 1000W gold PSU. Perhaps one from EVGA which I've heard a lot about.

Last think :P Do you know of any cheap open case structures? Or am I better off building it in a milkcase thing that people do?

Comments

• DES_MXDES_MX Member Posts: 13
    H61Pro BTC + 4GB ram + Celeron G1610. You'll need more than 1x 1KW PSU for 4 cards, unless you have experience undervolting them and risking running 1 of the GPU on Molex to PCI power connectors (risk melting the whole thing).
  • BreeBree Member Posts: 9
    edited March 2016
    DES_MX said:

H61Pro BTC + 4GB ram + Celeron G1610. You'll need more than 1x 1KW PSU for 4 cards, unless you have experience undervolting them and risking running 1 of the GPU on Molex to PCI power connectors (risk melting the whole thing).

Thanks for these suggestions. I decided to go with 6 MSI R7 370 cards for the low wattage and low price.
    I decided to go with the H81Pro BTC since I can get that one much cheaper. Also for CPU the G1840 comes out cheaper for where I live.
    I'm going with HyperX Fury 4GB Ram.

As for the PSU, I'm looking at the Corsair CX 750M. It's a 750W and my GPU's will be 660W.
    Do you think this will be sufficient? Or should I go for the 850 model?

As for these graphics cards. Do you suggest all powered risers? 5 times 1x-16x powered risers and 1 time 16x-16x riser powered riser if I am correct? Are those USB risers advised?

Post edited by Bree on
  • adasebadaseb Member Posts: 1,043 ✭✭✭
    That PSU doesn't have enough PCIe connectors. Just buy another 750W PSU and interlink the PSUs together.
    adaseb said:

That PSU doesn't have enough PCIe connectors. Just buy another 750W PSU and interlink the PSUs together.

Wouldn't I have too much power than? Could I get 2 lower wattage PSU's which are cheaper and do this? Or are there extensions for PCIe connectors that sort of split one connector into more? Like you would use with a wall adaptor
    You can always have too much power but never too little.

You can't get a smaller PSU than 750W because those will only have 2 PCIe connectors. Your 750W Corsair has 4.

Just get 2 of those for your 6 cards
    adaseb said:

You can always have too much power but never too little.

You can't get a smaller PSU than 750W because those will only have 2 PCIe connectors. Your 750W Corsair has 4.

Just get 2 of those for your 6 cards

I see, I'm just looking for a cheaper alternative. Do you know of a single PSU that has enough PCIe connectors cheaper?
    You won't find any "cheaper" since you require at least 6 PCIe connectors.

You will need to get at least a 1000W PSU.