Finished Tests, Few Questions

westcoastminerwestcoastminer Member Posts: 3
First, thank you all so much for your openness and valuable information. I went from zero understanding to having 10 dual GPU machines all mining last weekend. I enjoyed the test but learned that Nvidia is really behind AMD in this game. That being said I'm building a dedicated rig instead of using my staffs un-used weekend and evening capacity. I have a half dozen extra Asus Nvidia GTX 690 Turbo with 2gb, the best i could get was 11mhs out of those. That was with CUDA, GenOil and stock etherminer. That was on Win7, 12Gb RAM, SSD, Stratum Proxy and all the different version miners listed above.

I have three extra PCs with a few PCIe slots each, ill de case them and use them to start my miner. I want to buy about $1500 worth of cards to put in them. Im worried about DAG size, should i go all 2gb, 3gb or 4gb? For pure ROI and longevity what cards do you think i should go with? I know the mining ether game probably only has 12 months left in it so what should i buy to maximize my ROI.

There was a lot of talk about the 7970 and 280x, is this where you think i should focus?

Thanks a lot, PS im still working on details but i must likely have a air conditioned server room with free power to put the rig in, so not afraid of using more power if the ROI makes sense.

Thanks a lot

Comments

• westcoastminerwestcoastminer Member Posts: 3
    edited March 2016
    Thinking R9 380 or R9 380X, specifically the Gigabyte GV-R938WF2-4GD
  • GenoilGenoil 0xeb9310b185455f863f526dab3d245809f6854b4dMember Posts: 769 ✭✭✭
    2nd hand 7950's. Mind you you'll also need PSUs.

Surprised the 690 doesn't do better. Did you run in CUDA mode (-U flag) using my fork?

I get 12MH/s per core from the very similar GRID K520. The 690 is dual GPU too, isn't it?
  • westcoastminerwestcoastminer Member Posts: 3
    I did, but ill try a few more things and maybe overclock it. Maybe ill try a diferent driver build.
    Thanks again for your fork. I have a line on a few R9 290s and R9 280Xs so thats path im heading.
  • ciprianptciprianpt Member Posts: 219 ✭✭
    I have the same "concern" , i just can't decide with what GPU to go with, R9 280x 3gb or r9 380 4gb and at this moment ill go with the 380 still not 100% decided :hushed: (people says that 380x has the same performance but has more watt consumption)
  • ciprianptciprianpt Member Posts: 219 ✭✭

Thinking R9 380 or R9 380X, specifically the Gigabyte GV-R938WF2-4GD

can i ask you why "specifically the Gigabyte GV-R938WF2-4GD" is there a producer difference / results?