Best R9 nano to mine with

rdnkjdirdnkjdi ✭✭Member Posts: 135 ✭✭
I've done some reading and decided to pick a few up to mine with. Any recommendations on what others are using?

Comments

  • adasebadaseb ✭✭✭ Member Posts: 1,043 ✭✭✭
    There really are much cheaper alternatives. Its really not the first choice for mining.
  • rdnkjdirdnkjdi ✭✭ Member Posts: 135 ✭✭
    I have a bunch of 380xs. But I'm getting 200w with 20mhs. 290 and 380xs are as expensive as 390x and 380xs. What would you recommend? 390x? Fury?
  • adasebadaseb ✭✭✭ Member Posts: 1,043 ✭✭✭
  • workwork ✭✭✭✭ Member Posts: 2,084 ✭✭✭✭
    adaseb said:

    R7 370

    Efficient cards, but they'll have almost no resale value compared to more premium cards. And, you just need more motherboards, cpus, PSUs, etc to power the same hashrate you'd get out of 380s or 390s.
  • EthereumMinereuEthereumMinereu Member Posts: 42
    edited March 2016
    work said:

    adaseb said:

    R7 370

    Efficient cards, but they'll have almost no resale value compared to more premium cards. And, you just need more motherboards, cpus, PSUs, etc to power the same hashrate you'd get out of 380s or 390s.
    I saw reports of people doing 20 MH/s with R7 370s (XFX R7 370 2GB) wich is the same as most getting out of there R9 380s so they make best price/mh aswell as mh/watt of all the cards.
  • workwork ✭✭✭✭ Member Posts: 2,084 ✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2016
    @EthereumMinereu I agree the price/mh and mh/watt values are probably top of tier for an R7 370. But... resale on low-end cards is absolute trash. At this point, if you're buying new cards I would definitely be considering resale in the ROI calculations, because there is a solid chance they won't mine their way to profit.

    20MH/s sounds high tho; with current DAG size most people seem to get 15-17MH/s.
  • RamtopRamtop Member Posts: 8
    rdnkjdi said:

    I've done some reading and decided to pick a few up to mine with. Any recommendations on what others are using?

    I have some Nanos in my mining rigs giving around 27MH/s each. They are good cards if you plan to mine for a few months and then sell, because they'll hold their resale value.

    The high purchase cost didn't bother me, I'm purely interested in the total cost of ownership - how much money I lose reselling the card, plus the electricity consumed during the card's mining career. Nanos are not notably worse than 290/390s in that respect but are quieter and easier to cool when you're running a bunch of them.
  • adasebadaseb ✭✭✭ Member Posts: 1,043 ✭✭✭
    work said:

    adaseb said:

    R7 370

    Efficient cards, but they'll have almost no resale value compared to more premium cards. And, you just need more motherboards, cpus, PSUs, etc to power the same hashrate you'd get out of 380s or 390s.
    No resale value? The R9 Nano will have no resell value because it will lose half its value being used which is like $500 rather than an R7 370 losing $50.

    It doesn't make sense to buy the Nano unless you really want it for gaming.
  • MrYukonCMrYukonC ✭✭✭ Member Posts: 627 ✭✭✭
    adaseb said:

    work said:

    adaseb said:

    R7 370

    Efficient cards, but they'll have almost no resale value compared to more premium cards. And, you just need more motherboards, cpus, PSUs, etc to power the same hashrate you'd get out of 380s or 390s.
    No resale value? The R9 Nano will have no resell value because it will lose half its value being used which is like $500 rather than an R7 370 losing $50.

    It doesn't make sense to buy the Nano unless you really want it for gaming.
    @adaseb
    cc: @work

    I agree. I personally wouldn't pay any more than $300 for a used R9 Nano. The % loss on a Nano is likely going to be much higher than the % loss on a 370.

    And yes, nobody is getting 20 Mh/s out of 370's. lol Not this again!
  • adasebadaseb ✭✭✭ Member Posts: 1,043 ✭✭✭
    Also apparently in a few months AMD will release their 14nm GPUs so the resell value of a Nano will be reduced even further.

  • dlehenkydlehenky ✭✭✭✭ Member Posts: 2,249 ✭✭✭✭
    @adaseb As will all previous generation cards. It will be interesting to see how the new 14 nm will be priced, since they will yield many more chips per die compared to the 28 nm process they've been using for years. Lower power will be a given, too. If , however, they don't increase the memory access time, it won't mean much for improved hashing performance.
  • RamtopRamtop Member Posts: 8
    adaseb said:

    No resale value? The R9 Nano will have no resell value because it will lose half its value being used which is like $500 rather than an R7 370 losing $50.

    The 370 is basically a re-badged 7850, it struggles to deal with modern games even on reduced settings and lacks features like Freesync. Once AMD's mid-range 14nm cards ship in a few months there will be little reason to buy one unless it is very cheap; so their value will tank.

    On the other hard the Nano will only be one generation behind when the new cards come out and is likely, given it uses the full 4096 shader Fiji GPU, to still have comparatively strong performance until AMD's new high-end Vega cards come out next year. It'll lose value, but not as much. After EBay fees and such I'd expect to lose around 30%.

    The key with the Nano is to wait for a sale and not pay too much for it. I paid about the same as a 390X for my Nanos, which means it'll take about a month of mining for the card to earn out the lost 30%. My reckoning is a new 370 will lose around 50% of its value in the next 6 months, which given its hash speed would take about 5 weeks to earn out.

    Of course my figures may end up being wrong, but more than 25 years buying video cards gives me some confidence I'm on the right area with them :smiley:
  • workwork ✭✭✭✭ Member Posts: 2,084 ✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2016
    @adaseb You say R7 370 will lose $50 resale... but I say good luck selling it at all - nobody is going to want them. An 380x or 390(x) will be a lot easier to flip, because people actually want them for gaming rigs. As for nano's, I dunno; I don't think I would buy nanos myself, just too expensive. I could see myself buying 1 or 2 just to keep for my own gaming rig.
  • adasebadaseb ✭✭✭ Member Posts: 1,043 ✭✭✭
    work said:

    @adaseb You say R7 370 will lose $50 resale... but I say good luck selling it at all - nobody is going to want them. An 380x or 390(x) will be a lot easier to flip, because people actually want them for gaming rigs. As for nano's, I dunno; I don't think I would buy nanos myself, just too expensive. I could see myself buying 1 or 2 just to keep for my own gaming rig.

    Judging by most of your comments, you are probably brand new to mining so you have no experience in these things. I have been around since 2013.

    The R9 NANO will be probably twice or 3 times as difficult to sell because it will be expensive. Its easier selling cheaper GPUs because they are "cheaper".

    2 years ago all my R9 270X sold twice as fast than a R9 280X simply because they were like $50 cheaper.

    Even though its a crap card, and I agree. People will still buy it because they want the latest "300 series" generation cards.

    Also most still have active warranty and that's important to the 2nd hand market.

    Quit trying to one-up all my posts. You are starting to act childish. I am trying to help the community so they can make the most money with the least amount of money spent.

  • adasebadaseb ✭✭✭ Member Posts: 1,043 ✭✭✭
    Actually I remembered, the easiest card to sell was the R7 260X. I had a few of those. They were about 50% worse than an R7 270X but people bought them almost instantely and from the price I paid retail I lost the least amount of percentage for that card compared to say an R9 280X.
  • workwork ✭✭✭✭ Member Posts: 2,084 ✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2016
    @adaseb you're pretty clueless for a guy that's been mining since 2013. I was probably mining before you btw, and I've bought and sold many many dozens of GPUs. The vast majority of my active mining GPUs were purchased in 2013. Maybe people in your area are just clueless about tech, but around here, shitty cards don't seems to sell for anything (and this is my observation almost everywhere).
    adaseb said:

    Quit trying to one-up all my posts. You are starting to act childish. I am trying to help the community so they can make the most money with the least amount of money spent.

    Stop talking out your ass then? "Help the community"... lol. The topics you have created say enough about you IMO.
  • adasebadaseb ✭✭✭ Member Posts: 1,043 ✭✭✭
    edited March 2016
    work said:

    @adaseb you're pretty clueless for a guy that's been mining since 2013. I was probably mining before you btw, and I've bought and sold many many dozens of GPUs. The vast majority of my active mining GPUs were purchased in 2013. Maybe people in your area are just clueless about tech, but around here, shitty cards don't seems to sell for anything (and this is my observation almost everywhere).

    adaseb said:

    Quit trying to one-up all my posts. You are starting to act childish. I am trying to help the community so they can make the most money with the least amount of money spent.

    Stop talking out your ass then? "Help the community"... lol. The topics you have created say enough about you IMO.
    As an adult I will take your criticism but grow up kid, seriously.



    Really needs to be a ignore feature on here.

  • workwork ✭✭✭✭ Member Posts: 2,084 ✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2016
    @adaseb you're nowhere close to an expert - just look at the completely noob topics you've posted before. I've never given bad advice, but you definitely have. Hell, just look at your profile page. Disagree vs Agree stats say more then enough right there.
  • adasebadaseb ✭✭✭ Member Posts: 1,043 ✭✭✭
    work said:

    @adaseb you're nowhere close to an expert - just look at the completely noob topics you've posted before. I've never given bad advice, but you definitely have. Hell, just look at your profile page. Disagree vs Agree stats say more then enough right there.

    Thank you so much!


  • dlehenkydlehenky ✭✭✭✭ Member Posts: 2,249 ✭✭✭✭
    @work @adaseb Wow, two different people, in two different places, experiencing a different outcome in similar situations; it is possible, and likely probable, for that to happen. There's no absolute right or wrong in this, you know. Just sayin'. :)
  • workwork ✭✭✭✭ Member Posts: 2,084 ✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2016
    @dlehenky yea... I tried to acknowledge that point, that geographic location might matter (I'm in Canada in a big city, and low-end GPUs tend to be very hard to sell here). adaseb just seems to be in a name-calling mood I guess. I got some entertainment out of it.
  • Jhon_Dove2409Jhon_Dove2409 Member Posts: 49
    The Sapphire R9 Nano provides hashrate of 28 MHash/s for Ethereum at Coreclock 1020 while consuming 150 watts.
    for more information check it out given below link : https://miningchamp.com/gpus/66/Sapphire-R9-Nano--hashrate
Sign In or Register to comment.