ethOS

Comments

• kotariuskotarius Member Posts: 331 ✭✭✭
    edited March 2016
    On the contrary, your posts have always given me the ability to successfully defend ethOS, bump a thread, get more visibility, sell more copies, and be able to deliver ethOS to more and more happy customers.

The only people who seem to have a problem with ethOS, are those who are unreasonable, and/or unwilling to learn.

• MurzMurz Member Posts: 18
    @kotarius I think it would be beneficial to pick your battles and post less inflammatory responses, love your product though. Keep up the good work, I just hate seeing these threads devolve into toxic flame wars, you can control that.
  • patrik2patrik2 Member Posts: 156 ✭✭
    People,

if you are using ethOS - post your comments and share your experience. If you don't like or don't want to use it - this is all up to you which software to use. By opening this discussion I intended to hear from people who are current users of ethOS, which is payware and designed for commercial mid/large scale deployments. Single users can also benefit from using ethOS by saving their time and effort to get into mining. If you would like to use a freeware, there is enough options available based on Ubuntu and/or other Linux OS distributions. Again, this is only your personal preference which software to use.

Lack of customer service? Definitely no. Join #ethereumOS at Freenode and you will get your questions answered, most likely right away by the users and/or developers of ethOS.

@kotarius I am sorry to unintentionally involving you into this discussion. Please keep doing what you are doing the best - future development of ethOS. Miners like me need you, our rigs are sitting quietly, spinning the fans and our GPUs are crunching the data to get what we need - pure Ethereum..

Happy mining!

(^_^)/
    @patrik2 Right.

A word on customer service and support -- I can say I have personally talked to dev on IRC and he helped me answer questions about the initial setup. I can also say that the EthOS team has provided 3 updates to the software since its release, including one to fix the 2 GB DAG debacle within 12 hours. No issues here, I've been impressed so far.
  • dittoditto Member Posts: 139 ✭✭

Friend tried it and said it was utter sheyt.. So I passed.
    No direct / gui way to configure it, needs to be 'managed' by a text file located on a web-server (everyone has one of those, right?) :* . You can configure it locally if you hook up a keyb/mouse/monitor locally, or if you SSH into it from another pc on your network and manually edit the file(s). Far form turn-key.
    If they fix these issues and make it actually simple and user friendly, I might look at it, otherwise, pass.

Ohh also, you can only 'view' some stats of your rigs from a page linked to the ethpoo's own brnaded domain/website, so no direct local access or monitoring. I was hoping it was better, but.. wasn't. At least not yet.

Do you even know what you bought? LOL

If you want pretty stuff you might as well use Windows or Mac. XD

• JPSJPS Member Posts: 63
    kotarius said:

JPS said:

Ok, support is non-existent for this. Looks like they prefer to party and sleep in, instead of being on IRC. I'll get a refund.

I have been working 16 hours days. You should know that there are real people behind this project, who work very hard, and they can take offense to being called lazy partiers.

I am sorry that we were unable to hold your hand through what was most likely an issue unrelated to ethOS.
    I'm sorry that you think it's okay to try and offend someone else just because you feel offended.
  • kmaspkmasp Member Posts: 6
    Getting such mixed answers on this paid distro.

Can not tell if the supporters are paid shills or the dissenters are angry trolls.

I have been a long time user of Linux and would like to think I am fairly versed around the OS. Not particularly scared of management through plaintext config files.

I feel like I can definitely learn the Ubuntu route, but I would not mind paying $40 if it means easier time setting up and maintaining. I know it says it is meant for large scaled mining distributions, but is it worth it for a single miner too?
    @kmasp, that is something I was hoping to avoid. You should definitely try it. If you don't like it, talk to me via regular support channels and I will issue a refund.

ethOS is actively developed: http://ethosdistro.com/changelog/

People with multiple rigs enjoy ethOS more than people with single rigs, but it will definitely work in both scenarios.
    kmasp said:

Can not tell if the supporters are paid shills or the dissenters are angry trolls.

I feel like "paid shill" has become such a McCartheism buzzword in crypto forums... the internet has always been a hotbed of flamewars since it's inception and will be as long as there is anything to argue about... especially when money is involved.

If you look at this objectively, the positive reviews are from people who are actually using the product, and the negative ones are from people who are speculating or are based off of hearsay. That should tell you something.

EthOS does work, it requires a basic command of SSH and plaintext editing a few lines in a config file... thats it.

EthOS might not be ideal if you are running a single rig but its pretty nice to have if you are hosting multiple rigs and don't want to deal with the PITA of installing Ubuntu, and installing a bunch of packages, drivers, hooking up monitors etc... I think its a good product and I'm giving an honest unpaid shill opinion to others out there who want to know if its legit.

• mr001mr001 Member Posts: 14
    kotarius said:

You can mine expanse on ethOS. I have done it myself. You just need to connect to an expanse pool, it will generate the new DAGs and delete the old ones.

Can you please show us a sample from the config file?
    edited March 2016
    I have added instructions on how to set ethOS to "single rig mode": http://ethosdistro.com/kb/#single-rig

Regarding mining expanse, here is a sample:
    04:20 AM [email protected] 192.168.0.25 /root # cat /home/ethos/local.conf 
    # my expanse wallet on poloniex:
    proxywallet 0x2941f0486617dd2eb82b2146aefa9652f9c86d3f

# dwarfpool's expanse port:
    proxypool1 exp-us.dwarfpool.com:8018
    proxypool2 exp-eu.dwarfpool.com:8018

# other settings
    maxgputemp 85
    stratumproxy enabled
    flags --cl-global-work 16384 --farm-recheck 200
    globalfan 100

After you finish making changes, reboot rig or execute command restart-proxy , it will build expanse DAG and start mining.
    How many days do you need to finde a block on Ethereum with 20 MH?
  • o0ragman0oo0ragman0o Member, Moderator Posts: 1,291 mod
    @mr001, Confidence Interval for 20Mh/s is currently 12~13 days
  • arobbinsarobbins Minneapolis, mnMember Posts: 26
    Just got mine in the mail, looking forward to trying it:

• thesmokingmanthesmokingman Member Posts: 152 ✭✭
    @kotarius Just wanted to add my appreciation for ethOS in this thread again. I visited my aunt and uncle out of state this past weekend, but my Mrs stayed behind because she feels these mining rigs are fire hazards and won't leave the house for to long lol...

While I was gone, I had two rigs go down on me, one running ethOS and one running Windows7. To get the ethOS rig back up I just remoted into my NAS virtual instance of Linux and rebooted the rig via SSH and it was back online hashing as normal within seconds. To get my Windows box back up and running, I had to have my Mrs hard power cycle that box before my Splashtop session would work and allow me to remote in. This issue was compounded by the fact I only have one power switch that I move around from rig to rig, so she had to disconnect the switch from one board and plug it into the other board and do it correctly. Luckily she was able to figure it out since they were both H97 Anniversary boards. Had the Mrs been with me on the trip, I would of lost 135MHs for roughly 24-48hrs and missed out on the earnings. Needless to say I will be converting All my rigs to ethOS for the remote reboot functionality alone. I just purchased a small web server to host the remote.conf file so I can better manage my 500MH, so don't be surprised if you see me in the IRC channel soon if I have issue with setup :smiley:
    If i make a brake will this affect my mining process, or the mining times will be figured up?
  • rdnkjdirdnkjdi Member Posts: 135 ✭✭
    I have a few questions about ethos.

Does ethos use atitweak?
    Does it have SSH setup and ready to go?
    Does it have a static IP or dynamic that I have to change?
    @mr001 Sounds like it. Checkout @thesmokingman comment above.
    Sorry, meant to sent that to @rdnkjdi
    kotarius said:

I have added instructions on how to set ethOS to "single rig mode": http://ethosdistro.com/kb/#single-rig

Regarding mining expanse, here is a sample:

04:20 AM [email protected] 192.168.0.25 /root # cat /home/ethos/local.conf 
    # my expanse wallet on poloniex:
    proxywallet 0x2941f0486617dd2eb82b2146aefa9652f9c86d3f

# dwarfpool's expanse port:
    proxypool1 exp-us.dwarfpool.com:8018
    proxypool2 exp-eu.dwarfpool.com:8018

# other settings
    maxgputemp 85
    stratumproxy enabled
    flags --cl-global-work 16384 --farm-recheck 200
    globalfan 100

I got this response:
    JSON-RPC problem. Probably couldn't connect. Retrying in 1...
    miner 05:36:00.388|ethminer Getting work package...
    ✘ 05:36:00.417|ethminer Failed to submit hashrate.
    ✘ 05:36:00.417|ethminer Dynamic exception type: jsonrpc::JsonRpcException
    std::exception::what: Exception -32003 : Client connector error: libcurl error: 6
    Ethos suports getwork?
  • dittoditto Member Posts: 139 ✭✭
    Anyone who has complaints about ETHOS probably needs to stick to something like Windows or Mac.
  • thesmokingmanthesmokingman Member Posts: 152 ✭✭
    edited April 2016
    bitcanuck said:

kotarius said:

On the contrary, your posts have always given me the ability to successfully defend ethOS, bump a thread, get more visibility, sell more copies, and be able to deliver ethOS to more and more happy customers.

The only people who seem to have a problem with ethOS, are those who are unreasonable, and/or unwilling to learn.

@happytreefriends
    @kotarius Hey Alex, I don't think you'll be selling more copies now that people can download it for free. And eventually all the chargebacks will catch up to you and you'll loose your merchant account, and have to go with one of the rip-off card clearing companies that charge 5-10%.

http://45.62.227.192/files/ethos-1.0.4.iso.xz

The server is a bit slow, at least for me @~10mbps download speed, so maybe someone will seed a torrent for faster downloads.
    @bitcanuck - I feel sorry for you man. It must be hard carrying around all that hatred all the time.

What Alex supposedly looses in ethOS sales from you posting that link, I'm sure will be made up for in GPU sales as people like me will want to support the devs. So all you're doing is giving him added exposure to people that may not have known ethOS even existed, and will now make the switch. I think Oscar Wilde said it best:

The only thing worse than being talked about is not being talked about.

Again, thank you for spreading the word about ethOS so GPUshack can sell more GPUs and further develop the platform. :smiley:
    I am mining since 3 weeks with 22 MH/s but no blocks was fund.
    Is there any sense to mine with one G-card?
    @mr001 you better switch to pooled mining
  • ThatDudeThereThatDudeThere Member Posts: 135
  • rdnkjdirdnkjdi Member Posts: 135 ✭✭
    edited April 2016
    I've read a lot of smack about ethos which seems to be pretty common in the open source community so I wanted to chime in.

I think my coworker who was talking about open source free tools said it best. "They work. But not well ... It's ghetto" comparing Ubuntu to Mac and several other smaller things.

I've seen "that's just a cron job bro ... You can't charge for that." At this point I don't really know how I can express my opinion towards this attitude while avoiding going into a several wall text of diatribe and coming across as severely impolite.

So Ill just say ethos works. I'm repacing my personal build that took 10 to 20 hours and still didnt have the functionality or " just works" factor ethos has. If you are on the fence and plan on running more than two rigs you won't be sorry.
  • TEZTOUZTEZTOUZ Member Posts: 14
    I just got it yesterday and been fiddling around with it but it's giving me a headache with the whole networking thing. Its taking the same IP as one of my other units and I the documentation doesn't say anything about setting up a static ip.

Has anyone been able to set a static ip?

If so please let me know how.

Thank you.