ethOS

patrik2patrik2 Member Posts: 156 ✭✭
Please share your experience here if you use it for mining

Comments

• patrik2patrik2 Member Posts: 156 ✭✭
    Installed it today. Very easy to start mining with ethOS. Sample config file: http://ethosdistro.com/pool.txt
    40 hrs of mining - very stable, there is no a single issue with ethOS. Thanks, @kotarius !
  • MurzMurz Member Posts: 18
    Been using it since release, works very well and dev has so far provided timely updates.
    @Cobra98 I use it on a test rig 3x 280x hashing with 1100/1500 clocks at 64 MH total
  • brainkickbrainkick Member Posts: 5
    I'm using it on two former X11 rigs so far. The first contains a 7950 and a R9 270 and is running at about 32 MH, the second contains a 7870, a R9 270x and two R9 270s for about 55 MH. That's with the cards set to their default clocks speeds and voltages. Setting everything up was quick and easy - I ordered the SSDs with ethOS preloaded, and it probably took me longer to get them from my mailbox and remove all the packaging than it did to get the rigs up and running.
  • arobbinsarobbins Minneapolis, mnMember Posts: 26
    Just made a purchase for the pre-installed SSD. Looking forward to getting it!
  • JPSJPS Member Posts: 63
    The sample config doesn't really make clear to me how to set it up using coinotron or coinmine stratum. They use (my own) workers and I don't need a wallet address to mine (just to xfer).

Can someone give me the blow by blow of this ?
    @JPS you can contact dev team @freenode #ethereumOS IRC chat
    I know that, it's just that they take forever to appear there :/
  • happytreefriendshappytreefriends Member Posts: 537 ✭✭✭
    Friend tried it and said it was utter sheyt.. So I passed.
    No direct / gui way to configure it, needs to be 'managed' by a text file located on a web-server (everyone has one of those, right?) :* . You can configure it locally if you hook up a keyb/mouse/monitor locally, or if you SSH into it from another pc on your network and manually edit the file(s). Far form turn-key.
    If they fix these issues and make it actually simple and user friendly, I might look at it, otherwise, pass.

Ohh also, you can only 'view' some stats of your rigs from a page linked to the ethpoo's own brnaded domain/website, so no direct local access or monitoring. I was hoping it was better, but.. wasn't. At least not yet.

@happytreefriends Yes, no GUI. But it is not required. Everything is controlled by editing config text files.
    If you need a GUI, Windows 7 and up is your choice. Personally I have both rigs
    Ok, support is non-existent for this. Looks like they prefer to party and sleep in, instead of being on IRC. I'll get a refund.
    @JPS Up to u. I've got my all questions answered on their IRC chat. Setup is very easy and straightforward. You need to edit almost nothing, only a few lines of data. I did it even before to booting into ethOS by connecting ssd to another PC. So u was up and running right from the first boot.
  • thesmokingmanthesmokingman Member Posts: 152 ✭✭
    edited March 2016
    After spending countless days trying to stabilize my 5-6 card rigs under Win7 I gave up and ordered ethOS. Needless to say I feel it has to be one of the best purchases I've made in regards eth mining. I'm a Linux noob, so I was a little intimidated at first with not even knowing how to shut down the system let alone edit the conf file to change the default settings.

That was quickly remedied by a few Google searches. The setup for me was as follows and hope it helps others: (I purchased the Digital Download)

-Write ISO to SSD
    -Connect SSD to rig and connect my first card to the x16 slot closest to the CPU connect via DVI-D to a monitor
    -Power up the rig and once at the ethOS screen appears type minerstop to prevent the system from auto mining to the developers wallet
    -Type sudo ethos-update to get the latest version
    -Type echo -n "" > /home/ethos/remote.conf to blank out the remote config so you don't have to worry about the web server portion.
    -Once complete, type sudo nano ./local.conf and edit this file to update the ETH wallet, pool information and any flags you want to run for your setup. When done press ctrl & X then Y and then press enter. Your changes should be saved and ready to go. If you want to test type allow at the command prompt and then show to see the miners output to ensure it's mining. I would also verify the pool is seeing the miner. The worker ID will be the last 6 characters of the motherboard MAC address. Once verified that everything is working, type the following to commands to shutdown the system so you can add the remaining cards: (there may be a better way to do this but it works for me)
    su -
    password = live
    shutdown -h 1 (this will shutdown the rig after 1 minute)
    -Connect the rest of your cards and then power on your rig
    -Once the ethOS screen loads, type show again to see the miners output and you should be off and mining!

On the ethOS dashboard there should be a URL that's specific to you that you can use to view/check your rigs from anywhere. Here's mine so you can get an idea of the URL formatting and the information displayed:

http://c871ee.ethosdistro.com

Unfortunately when you don't use the remote.conf you can't reboot your rigs remotely from the web interface, but I solved this by setting up Splashtop (I already pay for the subscription) on my MacBook Pro and use it to SSH to my rigs to issue the r command. For anyone not sure how to SSH on OSX, just open the Terminal app and type ssh [email protected]"LAN IP of your rig" and then type live for the password.

Hope that helps some other fellow ethOS users get up and running faster. Feel free to PM me with any questions, I just ask that you at least do a google search first to try and find the answers. As mentioned, IRC is the best place for help, but those not in the US have to remember the time zone difference, so just because you are up doesn't mean the devs are. I've logged into the IRC channel at 1am EST and @kotarius has been there to help me as well as offer suggestions on how to easily over clock and under volt in ethOS without having to flash my bios...
  • mr001mr001 Member Posts: 14
    how can I use Ethos for expanse mining? knows anybody the config file?
    edited March 2016
    mr001 said:

how can I use Ethos for expanse mining? knows anybody the config file?

Limitations of Scope
    The following features are not supported and not planned for support.

NVIDIA mining (ethOS is AMD only).
    Wireless networking (mining over wifi causes packet loss, regardless of operating system, especially in large deployments).
    Browser-based/GUI-based rig management (all required management is done through config files).
    Support for USB sticks and HDDs (non-SSD disks cause iowait bottlenecks during DAG writing).
    Support for other algorithms.

So with that I would say the only way to mine EXP would be editing the proxy conf file "IF" they are using eth-proxy for EXP. Short of that, you will only be able to mine ETH...best way to find out 100% is join the IRC channel and ask the devs
  • dlehenkydlehenky Member Posts: 2,249 ✭✭✭✭
    @thesmokingman Surely ethOS supports solo mining, no? If so, the only difference between EXP and ETH is running 'gexp' instead of 'geth'.
    edited March 2016
    dlehenky said:

@thesmokingman Surely ethOS supports solo mining, no? If so, the only difference between EXP and ETH is running 'gexp' instead of 'geth'.

I honestly have no clue as I'm not versed enough in Linux to know how to change the backend for that sort of setup. I would say that's a question best suited for the IRC channel. Based on @kotarius reply to you in the ethOS thread, I would say no since GETH isn't even running on ethOS. Based on this reply I'm guessing ethOS was only "designed" to connect to a pool and not solo mining:
    kotarius said:

dlehenky said:

Does EthOS have a "trimmed" kernel, without useless support for BT, Wifi, etc.? What version of ethminer/libethereum is being used? Is Geth installed, or do you assume it's on a separate machine or accessing a mining pool? Sorry if my assumption that you are the provider of ethOS is mistaken.

-Best Care
    David

No changes have been made to the kernel (3.19.0-25-generic) for this first release. We are attempting to get this out as fast as possible because of ethereum profitability. I manage a farm with 200 GPUs and need to deploy. Future releases will reduce support for useless functions.

With regards to ethereum miner, I would rather not divulge this information at this point. However, we are following GPL and the source is available upon request to all ethOS users.

Geth is not installed and is not required. There is no need to have a dedicated local node, all machines can connect to a predefined pool and submit work.

You are correct in assuming that ethOS is my project, backed by gpuShack's financial support. We are a team of four developers.

Check out this thread for current progress: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=1341641.msg13720197#msg13720197
  • dlehenkydlehenky Member Posts: 2,249 ✭✭✭✭
    @thesmokingman I wasn't suggesting that 'geth' (or 'gexp' for Expanse) would be running on the mining rig, just that you can configure the 'ethminer' options to mine solo, with 'geth'/'gexp' running separately on another machine. The 'ethminer' command options for solo vs pool is simply changing the IP address and port in the '-F' option to point to 'geth', rather than a pool. Expanse uses exactly the same 'ethminer' as Ethereum.
    dlehenky said:

@thesmokingman I wasn't suggesting that 'geth' (or 'gexp' for Expanse) would be running on the mining rig, just that you can configure the 'ethminer' options to mine solo, with 'geth'/'gexp' running separately on another machine. The 'ethminer' command options for solo vs pool is simply changing the IP address and port in the '-F' option to point to 'geth', rather than a pool. Expanse uses exactly the same 'ethminer' as Ethereum.

@dlehenky I'll defer to your expertise in the matter my friend as I've stated I have no clue with Linux other than what I've picked up over the past few days running ethOS and that's posted above. Underneath the hood it's still Linux so I'm sure as the old saying goes "If there is a will there is a way" and it can be done and it appears you've layed out how to do it for anyone that wants to know. I was just trying to say I don't think that was the intended purpose of ethOS...
  • kotariuskotarius Member Posts: 331 ✭✭✭
    You can mine expanse on ethOS. I have done it myself. You just need to connect to an expanse pool, it will generate the new DAGs and delete the old ones.

Friend tried it and said it was utter sheyt.. So I passed.

Actually, I think you passed because you couldn't find $39. Let me get this straight, you wrote some stupid crap about trial versions and refunds on a public forum, got called out on your bullshit by multiple people, and now you write disparaging comments about ethOS. Very classy.

https://forum.ethereum.org/discussion/comment/20827/#Comment_19002

No direct / gui way to configure it, needs to be 'managed' by a text file located on a web-server (everyone has one of those, right?) :* . You can configure it locally if you hook up a keyb/mouse/monitor locally, or if you SSH into it from another pc on your network and manually edit the file(s).

ethOS is for large scale deployments. If you are launching dozens of rigs, ethOS is the solution. Do you seriously think that large farmers are going to connect a kvm and mess with a GUI to change settings? Settings are changed with distributed SSH, remote configs, and reboots.

Far form turn-key.
    If they fix these issues and make it actually simple and user friendly, I might look at it, otherwise, pass.

There is nothing to fix because it works exactly as intended. If you want to pass, that is your perogative.

Ohh also, you can only 'view' some stats of your rigs from a page linked to the ethpoo's own brnaded domain/website, so no direct local access or monitoring. I was hoping it was better, but.. wasn't. At least not yet.

Once again, ethOS is for large scale deployment. Do you think that large miners are going to connect a KVM to watch their GPU temps? Seems rather silly. By the way, no one else has complained about the stats panel other than you. Maybe that should tell you something.

@kotarius I agree with you. Now I have 8 rigs with ethOS happily hashing with minimum time and effort spent on this!
    @patrik2, Thanks very much, glad you like it!
    JPS said:

Ok, support is non-existent for this. Looks like they prefer to party and sleep in, instead of being on IRC. I'll get a refund.

I have been working 16 hours days. You should know that there are real people behind this project, who work very hard, and they can take offense to being called lazy partiers.

I am sorry that we were unable to hold your hand through what was most likely an issue unrelated to ethOS.
  • workwork Member Posts: 2,084 ✭✭✭✭
    kotarius said:

Once again, ethOS is for large scale deployment. Do you think that large miners are going to connect a KVM to watch their GPU temps? Seems rather silly. By the way, no one else has complained about the stats panel other than you. Maybe that should tell you something.

Large scale farms are probably much more likely to build a solid OS implementation, and then clone the drive (certainly what I did with my gentoo rigs). Off the shelf stuff like this makes a lot more sense targeted at mid-size and hobbyists that want to get something up quickly, IHMO.

Why not add some features that people are requesting instead of getting defensive?
    edited March 2016
    work said:

Large scale farms are probably much more likely to build a solid OS implementation, and then clone the drive (certainly what I did with my gentoo rigs). Off the shelf stuff like this makes a lot more sense targeted at mid-size and hobbyists that want to get something up quickly, IHMO.

You are objectively wrong about that. I am actively working with large miners who are deploying rigs with ethOS, which helps them deploy days faster than they otherwise would, and pays for itself very quickly.
    work said:

Why not add some features that people are requesting instead of getting defensive

ethOS has specific limitation of scope. Scope creep kills projects. You can read more about it here https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scope_creep and here http://ethosdistro.com/

We will not add features that we consider to be beyond the scope of the project.

However, we do release many features, as shown in the changelog, http://ethosdistro.com/changelog/ , and do plan to release more features in version 1.0.4. Once again, those features will be, first and foremost, for large-scale deployment.

Regarding defending ethOS, I will refute claims that are patently false, and I will back up my refutations with evidence. Calling someone "defensive" is using an emotional trigger word in an attempt to permanently shut down a conversation.
  • workwork Member Posts: 2,084 ✭✭✭✭
    kotarius said:

You are objectively wrong about that. I am actively working with large miners who are deploying rigs with ethOS, which helps them deploy days faster than they otherwise would, and pays for itself very quickly.

You having a different experience with a few miners doesn't make what I said is objectively wrong... By definition it's biased to your experience and the people coming to you for help.
    kotarius said:

Regarding defending ethOS, I will refute claims that are patently false, and I will back up my refutations with evidence. Calling someone "defensive" is using an emotional trigger word in an attempt to permanently shut down a conversation.

Your response to @JPS was rude and defensive. That's not using a loaded or emotional trigger word, it's stating a reality. You were far and away from refuting a patently incorrect claim, you were being defensive rather then apologizing for a lack of support, and directly accused the user of trying to obtain support for an issue that "was most likely an issue unrelated to ethOS."
    Support is offered on a best-effort ability and is not guaranteed. Request for support is not request for a feature. Ultimately, we would like all features and functionality to address all possible requests for support, within the pre-defined limitation of scope. That is the end-goal of a successful project.

In the interest of customer privacy, I will not comment further on any issue we have with any particular customer.
  • happytreefriendshappytreefriends Member Posts: 537 ✭✭✭
    edited March 2016
    Wow.. Someone is defensive. I have said what I was told and shown by someone who bought it and ran it. Glad I didn't WASTE $39 on this turkey.

Anyone reading this thread and your reply will be well warned against sending any $$ to you, that's for sure. Job well done.. Good business sense. SMH..

ps. After showing my friend your blatant insulting reply , my buddy will be disputing the charge for the item. LOL. He wasn't going to until he saw what you wrote..