A bunch of 2GB cards stopped working tonight because of DAG file size...

Comments

• kwothkwoth Member Posts: 10
    Same issue here with a Radeon 7870. Also removed the culprit, but hope the update gets released soon.
  • kwothkwoth Member Posts: 10
    edited March 2016
  • Thresho1dThresho1d Member Posts: 26
    kwoth said:

Same issue here with a Radeon 7870. Also removed the culprit, but hope the update gets released soon.

+1 win 7
  • o0ragman0oo0ragman0o Member, Moderator Posts: 1,288 mod
    Global hashrate has dropped bellow 1TH now
  • cidmocidmo Member Posts: 445 ✭✭✭
    philakone said:

I'm not sure if this is true or not, but would greatly appreciate it if someone can confirm or deny.

I heard that the cpp ethereum 1.2.2 cannot be used for multiple GPU at the moment, only single gpu, which has prevented me from using it.

Can the cpp ethereum 1.2.2 use multiple gpu or not? It looks so simple and clean. I really want to use it. Haven't tried because I'm scared of the downtime to set it up.

im using the latest version of cpp on linux mint and im using 2 8GB cards 1 4GB and 1 3GB all on same miner
  • BitsBeTrippinBitsBeTrippin Member Posts: 60 ✭✭
    If you have a mining rig and it has stopped, bump your system memory to 16gb of ram. It will start back up. We have just confirmed this with multiple rigs onsite.
  • Marvell9Marvell9 Member Posts: 593 ✭✭✭
    hmm that's interesting I have some MSI 2GB cards mixed with some 4gig ASUS strx and that box is happily mining away still , but another box that is has one 2Gb MSI 370 and 5 390x cards that froze.

Removed the 2GB from the 390 rig and it works again, seems you can use the 2GB cards with other 370s ? but not with some other cards ?
    @bitsbetrippin hmm taking a rig from 8GB to 16GB fixes what problem I cant see how its a ram issue
    Dont know m8, were investigating, I do know I saw a huge hit on the total network speed, then noticed people talking about 2gb cards not working and noticed our 2 rigs with 2gb cards are working fine.

So we tried to break them. The only way we can get them to stop hashing is dropping below 16gb system memory.
  • cvekscveks Member Posts: 60 ✭✭
    same problem here with 2 GB cards :(
  • adasebadaseb Member Posts: 1,043 ✭✭✭
    edited March 2016
    I got 2 of the R7 370 2GB and they are still hashing away each are in different rigs and one is Windows 7 and the other Ubuntu.
    And also got a 3rd 2GB card and its still hashing away.

• muacmuac Member Posts: 26
    edited March 2016
    both --cl-extragpu-mem 0 and setx GPU_SINGLE_ALLOC_PERCENT 100

solved my problem on my win7_64 machine with x5 R9 270 2gb cards
    Post edited by muac on
  • Thresho1dThresho1d Member Posts: 26
    setx GPU_MAX_ALLOC_PERCENT 100
    setx GPU_SINGLE_ALLOC_PERCENT 100

*reboot*

fixed my problem.
    @bitsbetrippin interesting how much ram did those boxes have before I need to check one rig, I was testing has 16GB I forgot I added an extra stick to that one for testing for a geth install. That one has four 2GB cards and is still working.

I still have another one with a mix of 280s, 390s and a single 2GB 370 that only has 8GB and that one is still working fine.
    Confirmed if we leave our 2 (2gb) rigs at 8gb and goto cmd and type:
    setx GPU_MAX_ALLOC_PERCENT 100
    setx GPU_SINGLE_ALLOC_PERCENT 100

and reboot

It does in fact let them hash with 8gb system memory
    @bitsbetrippin all this just really goes to show we are close to End of life for 2GB cards on ethereum not September imo like others surmised
  • adasebadaseb Member Posts: 1,043 ✭✭✭
    edited March 2016
    I don't think its the ram, i got 6 GPUs in one 2GB RAM rig and it works
    All of that being said ...

If you have Sapphire R9 285OC Dual-X 2GB Cards

Set your core clock to 1040
    Set your memory clock to 1500
    Set your fan at 70%
    Power at -2

a 5x rig hits 105.1m/h @ 912w to wall (on a AX 1200i Plat PSU)

Will be in our next episode (saturday) on YouTube
  • MatiasMatias Member Posts: 11
    So what's going on? What is the reason for 2G card problems? DAG is not 2G ATM, I think..
  • muacmuac Member Posts: 26
    edited March 2016
    Matias said:

So what's going on? What is the reason for 2G card problems? DAG is not 2G ATM, I think..

its a software problem the actual miner itself.
    just set --cl-extragpu-mem 0 in miner cmd line and setx GPU_SINGLE_ALLOC_PERCENT 100

that solved my problem and looking around it solved most of everyones problems on qtminer and ethgenoil
  • ilia7777ilia7777 Member Posts: 113
    All this is really confusing. I understand that there is a problem with 2Gb cards, but can somebody explain to me about 16Gb RAM please. Is it system dependent? For those that got it fixed what OS you are running ? Also did it fix the problem with 2Gb cards or also for some other rigs with 3+Gb memory cards that also stopped mining ?

I've got 2R9 390 on a system with 8GB RAM running fine on Win8
    At the same time after removing all two Gb cards on the system also with 8GB and 2R9 390 left the miner is crushing. This one is on win10.

A rig with Ethos and 7970s and 6Gb RAM is working fine.
  • philakonephilakone Member Posts: 163 ✭✭
    I don't have any 2GB cards thank gosh. Though I feel terrible for anyone that can't mine right now!
  • verjicverjic Member Posts: 143
    edited March 2016
    I did not have any problem with my 2 GB Asus R9 380. Even I don't have any of the special allocation lines in bat file. And they work great and at good hash rate. With OC with 4 x Asus R9 380 2 GB, I get up to 86 Mhs. I hope that they will keep work fine until 2 GB DAG. I think to buy more, I have a very good offer for this cards, new GPU with 3 year warranty at 180 Euro/GPU. I think it is just great!
  • corvo999corvo999 Member Posts: 27

Activity: 49

View Profile Email Personal Message (Online)
    Trust: 0: -0 / +0

Re: [ETHEREUM] [POOL] https://ETH.suprnova.cc 0% fee, 20 % BONUS per Block ! //
    Today at 09:21:03 AM
    Reply with quote Edit message Delete message #548
    someone can help ..
    my radeon 7870 2Gb no longer works because the file size dag
    use windows 7, my .bat file is:
    ethminer -G -F http://eth-mine.suprnova.cc:3000/Weblogin.Worker/12
    I read that you have to add the command:
    setx GPU_MAX_ALLOC-100 PERCENT
    as it rewrites the file.bat ..thanks
  • cvekscveks Member Posts: 60 ✭✭
    verjic said:

I did not have any problem with my 2 GB Asus R9 380. Even I don't have any of the special allocation lines in bat file. And they work great and at good hash rate. With OC with 4 x Asus R9 380 2 GB, I get up to 86 Mhs. I hope that they will keep work fine until 2 GB DAG. I think to buy more, I have a very good offer for this cards, new GPU with 3 year warranty at 180 Euro/GPU. I think it is just great!

what are yours OC settings for R9 380 ?
    there is someone who knows how to rewrite the file.bat for etherminer with video card with 2 Gb
    cveks said:

verjic said:

what are yours OC settings for R9 380 ?
    1000/1500, power limit 0

I use MSI Afterburner to OC
    corvo999 said:

there is someone who knows how to rewrite the file.bat for etherminer with video card with 2 Gb

It depends if you use stratum proxy or not. I use stratum proxy and my .bat file for 2 Gb card look like this:
    "ethminer.exe --farm-recheck 200 -G -F http://127.0.0.1:8080/rig1 --cl-local-work 128 --cl-global-work 16384"

If you have problem with allocation of DAG file use this:

"setx GPU_SINGLE_ALLOC_PERCENT 100

ethminer.exe --farm-recheck 200 -G -F http://127.0.0.1:8080/rig1 --cl-local-work 128 --cl-global-work 16384"

If you still have problems, check this page, maybe it will help: http://dwarfpool.com/faq#error

Good Luck!
    I gave before the command "c: / etherminer" c:> setx gpu_max_alloc 100 percent and finally gave file.bat command as suggested ..... nothing to do me error for .dag file
  • MinerEdMinerEd Member Posts: 3
    muac said:

Matias said:

its a software problem the actual miner itself.
    just set --cl-extragpu-mem 0 in miner cmd line and setx GPU_SINGLE_ALLOC_PERCENT 100

that solved my problem and looking around it solved most of everyones problems on qtminer and ethgenoil

This what solved the problem for me: adding --cl-extragpu-mem 0
    Only setting the setx didn't.