New to mining

Here guys, I'm 16 and considering getting into mining Ethereum. It would be more of a hobby but of course the cash that comes with it would defiantly help me stay interested. I built my own rig, Intel Xeon E3 1231 V3 and a GtX 970 Windforce edition. All inside a s340. After the first month or two I'll use the money generated to invest in another GPU or better cooling solutions. Any tips or advice to a knew commer? Anything I meantioned above that's not correct? Thanks! Hopefully I'll get to know some of you soon :)

Comments

• 5w00p5w00p Member Posts: 7
    Sounds like a good plan. You will likely hit a few snags along the way, but that's how it goes. This forum can hopefully help you out, if and when you get stuck. But, overall, I think it's a decent start. You should hurry to get the rig online. And just one 970 isn't going to generate a ton of coin, so plan on working in real life a certain number of hours, while keeping gaming and stuff to a minimum of your mining rig so that it can mine as close to 100% of the time, ie 24-7.
    Also, if your planned rig doesn't have an Integrated GPU, I would suggest a secondary, lower-end GPU to run the desktop of your machine while the 970 mines.
    And a couple last tips: go as good as you can on PSU. 80+ rated from good manufacturer... and don't forget to look at AMD cards as an option.
    Final thing: You live with parent(s) or guardian (s), I think I can assume. It would likely behoove you to let those responsible for the utility bill to understand that your computer will be on all the time and will consume hundreds of watts and produce some noticeable heat.
  • dairetomasdairetomas Member Posts: 2
    I'm trying to add another 970 asap once I see some results money wise, then I might build a seperate rig just for gaming and have the sli 970's mining all the time. Aslong as I have something to show for the heat and power bill they won't mind. :) thanks!