In the client, it's not clear how I obtain any of my addresses in full

http://screencast.com/t/p0aH5B9o

I can see near the lower left that I have some abbreviated addresses, but for the life of me I can't figure out how to get it to show the full address. What I want to do is a test transaction from my first address to my second. Help please?

Comments

• aatkinaatkin Member Posts: 75 ✭✭
    The trick I use in Win64 version of POC3 is to highlight the owned address (it's a partial) and then copy/paste it into the contract data field and you will see the full wallet address. You can also paste it into notepad or wherever else you need to.
  • axefrogaxefrog Member Posts: 10
    Ah right. I think this is gonna need some help from a UI designer ;)
    I have two addresses. How do I specify which one I'm sending *from*?
    Yes, the other weirdness is that if you close or resize the panes in the GUI it can get ugly. So re-enable the windows by right-clicking the app menu bar at the top and this way you can get back anything you may have closed inadvertently.
  • TechnologovTechnologov Member Posts: 102 ✭✭
    edited March 2014
    edited March 2014
    @axefrog That's a good question. I think it's usually the last address in your list or maybe the one found in your config file. In any case it'll have to be an address you own that contains ether. Beats me. If I mine and hit "preview" it'll show me the address my mining reward (if I ever get one) will go to. I imagine that's the FROM address when I send.
    What I'd like to see is the Ethereum guys provide a non-windowed client that exposes a local REST interface on top of which a better UI can be built in whatever technology is relevant. Even a Chrome application would be good for this. I'd toy around with building a better UI myself if this were possible.
    edited March 2014
    I think from listening to some SoundCloud interviews, that there will be javascript/html5/css apps on top to make sending transactions easier for end users. @vitalik? talks about a 3 tier architecture in the recent Vancouver interview.

Tier 1: The client doing technical stuff on the blockchain
    Tier 2: An "android" type platform (which I take to mean smartcontracts) and maybe the offchain utility apps to call them and examine the chain
    Tier 3: End User apps using V8/Javascript/HTML5/CSS for end users

There's talk of 1 click installs (Open Transactions, Ripple, whatever) a la Android store.

Hope I got that right.
    Interesting. I just made another post in this forum encouraging the developers to make that available as soon as possible and to not focus on their user interface. If there were a non-windowed client exposing a REST interface, I'd be playing with it already.
  • StephanTualStephanTual London, EnglandMember, Moderator Posts: 1,282 mod
    @axefrog? AFAIK both C++ and GO clients have CLIs. RPC is coming I'm told.
    @Ursium good to know, I'll keep an eye out. Thanks for the reply.
    The user-friendly way to achieve that, is to allow right-click->copy public address.
    Otherwise new users (like myself) feel lost in the Ethereum world. (without able to know own public address)
  • snowave6snowave6 Member Posts: 3
    I also cannot find my public address to receive