Relation between geth and mist

btcxyzzzbtcxyzzz Member Posts: 10
OK, I have installed geth and I have wallet in it with some address I want to preserve. Before starting Mist, I want to know is it anyhow related to geth data, I don't want to lose that address. It seems, but I'm not sure it's actually needed to geth and mist to run together... Somebody enlighten me with details? Thanks...

Comments

• JabulonJabulon Member Posts: 45
    Mist is a GUI browser running its own bundled geth node as backend. It is my understanding (someone please correct me if you know otherwise) that if you are already running geth, and then fire up mist on top of that, it will find your already-running node and you will be relating to that in the GUI. I haven't actually tried this, as I'm just running Mist on one machine (linux) with bundled node, and the geth CLI on another (Windows).
  • btcxyzzzbtcxyzzz Member Posts: 10
    Thanks, so please, if anyone can confirm Mist is connecting to previously installed geth?
  • MeechMeech Member Posts: 6
    Yes. Run Geth let it synch with blockchain then start Mist. Mist Just gives you that familiar wallet like other crypto QT wallets. But be prewarned it lacks many of the safety features the others have. Can't copy and paste address into wallet and send address has no failsafe for typos.
  • o0ragman0oo0ragman0o Member, Moderator Posts: 1,291 mod
    Anyone know if mist can attach to another geth node?
  • btcxyzzzbtcxyzzz Member Posts: 10
    Meech said:

Can't copy and paste address into wallet and send address has no failsafe for typos.

that's serious as it gets, i'd better stick to geth console :))