Riser 1 to 3 PCI-e 1x?

2»

Comments

• o0ragman0oo0ragman0o Member, Moderator Posts: 1,291 mod
    @Hans, works fine on just one power cable presuming you're using USB risers to the GPU's.
  • HansHans Member Posts: 34
    edited October 2016
    @o0ragman0o Ic, thanks, will try tommorow
    btw can 1 mobo support more than 7 gpu?
    @Hans, I was running 8 which as I've read is the limit for Linux with kernel hacking. Haven't investigated further as I'm far from a kernel hacker
    @o0ragman0o i try to put 8 gpu on my MSI z97 gaming 5 but got error code 12 on windows device manager, i have done bios reset and try 6xgpu mod but to no avail. Any idea what can i do to make it work?
    @hans, I've only run them on Ubuntu 14.04 server. But this suggests to me that the onboard GPU means your system is trying to init 9 GPU's rather than 8. On linux, each GPU needs 256Mb mapped to bios address space which is limited to 2Gb, so I imagine it's the same with Windows.

Have you tried disabling the onboard GPU in BIOS?
    @o0ragman0o i have disabled my on board gpu from the start.

Maybe i need to try uninstall all driver before installing the 8th gpu
  • fu2refu2re Member Posts: 1
    I just received the same 1 to 3 riser. Seems like riser is ok, but I cant start my rig with 8 gpu. 7 is max.
    When I try to start with 8 - nothing happens, even BIOS cant loads itself. Any Ideas?
    I am using Asrock H81 Pro BTC + Celeron G1840.
    Thanks for any help.
  • cpimentellccpimentellc Member Posts: 3
    edited November 2016

@hans, using SATA. The cable ends up laying along the back of the usb's so is occluded by timber and other cables.

can you see your switch with lsusb and cards with lspci?

@o0ragman0o, can you help me?
    I have one motherboard Gigabyte sockt 775, ddr II, 2gb RAM, core2duo.
    I conected 2 GPU to riser (1 to 3 PCI-e) to 1x slot, but the windows didnot start.
    Can it be the motherbord?:
    @cpimentellc I'm not running windows, but Ubuntu Server 14.04. Have you tried plugging the switch into different PCIe slots? Some PCIe lanes are going to be mapped directly to the CPU while others will be coming of the chipset. The 16x slot would likely come from the CPU and so takes out one variable. It shouldn't really matter what the switch is attached to though as the PCIe spec is designed for tree topologies of hubs and lanes, but the 1x is likely going through an on board switch in the chipset.

I think a lot of the problems perhaps stem from BIOS memory addressing where each GPU the memory allocation requires a 256Mb window where as BIOS only addresses 2Gb leading to the 8 GPU limit. You mentioned 2 GPU's, is that all you have?

Also when you say windows did not start, were you seeing a POST screen, have you tried the monitor across all GPU's including the onboard one?
  • cpimentellccpimentellc Member Posts: 3
    @o0ragman0o Hi, I managed to put it to work.

Tank you.
    @cpimentellc Yay! Anything particular that you did?
  • mus1camus1ca Member Posts: 1

@cpimentellc I'm not running windows, but Ubuntu Server 14.04. Have you tried plugging the switch into different PCIe slots? Some PCIe lanes are going to be mapped directly to the CPU while others will be coming of the chipset. The 16x slot would likely come from the CPU and so takes out one variable. It shouldn't really matter what the switch is attached to though as the PCIe spec is designed for tree topologies of hubs and lanes, but the 1x is likely going through an on board switch in the chipset.

I think a lot of the problems perhaps stem from BIOS memory addressing where each GPU the memory allocation requires a 256Mb window where as BIOS only addresses 2Gb leading to the 8 GPU limit. You mentioned 2 GPU's, is that all you have?

Also when you say windows did not start, were you seeing a POST screen, have you tried the monitor across all GPU's including the onboard one?

what cpu are u using?
    fu2re said:

I just received the same 1 to 3 riser. Seems like riser is ok, but I cant start my rig with 8 gpu. 7 is max.
    When I try to start with 8 - nothing happens, even BIOS cant loads itself. Any Ideas?
    I am using Asrock H81 Pro BTC + Celeron G1840.
    Thanks for any help.

i have the same problem, even wont enter bios with 8 gpu,
    h81 pro btc + g3260

i wonder if pentium can only 7 gpu max
  • fredeqfredeq Member Posts: 42
    So it should be able to extend a 4 slot motherboard to support up to 7-8 GPUs, nice.
    Didnt know the 8 GPU limit comes from the bios limitations.

The risers themselves look like made by the same design as our usb single risers.
    Will try to get one of those and turn my 4 gpu rig into 6-7.
  • EtherionEtherion Member Posts: 95
    I also tried this 1x3 PCIe switch on a Msi Z97 Guard pro motherboard. I can get 7 gpu running but when I installed the 8th I can't boot. Get stuck on bios splash screen. Any suggestions how to get 8 GPU going? I have a I7 4790k installed.
  • FittsyFittsy TexasMember Posts: 9
    Etherion said:

I also tried this 1x3 PCIe switch on a Msi Z97 Guard pro motherboard. I can get 7 gpu running but when I installed the 8th I can't boot. Get stuck on bios splash screen. Any suggestions how to get 8 GPU going? I have a I7 4790k installed.

Which operating system?
  • xxsmagxxxxsmagxx Member Posts: 1
    Rayhan said:

Someon there use this riser?

I think buy this riser but I'm in doubt if suported 3 GPU mining

Visit my vídeo