Shipping

Hello all.

It has occurred to me that to tackle the shipping industry would present a 'top down' approach which could instantly roll out etherium contracts across the globe, since, as we all know, the world economy relies hugely on shipping. There could be a possibility to create an all encompassing facility, allowing all parties involved in a shipment/ship to access data, documentation, communicate with other parties, examine certification and numerous other possibilities, all thereby streamlining these operation upon which the world relies.

I am not much of a programmer, but I would hope that this post finds some others who realise the potential and could help drive it forward. I can assist with research, contacts, marketing, sourcing experts, however If this is not the right time for something so large and radical, then I understand, as there are no doubt many bridges to cross, nonetheless I make this proposal in good faith, and in the knowledge that at some point things will go in this direction.

Briefly, below, I will list some of the parties involved in a ship/cargo moving from port to port, this list is by no means complete, but I hope to include the major players. It is worth noting that most of the parties may have some amount of involvement in the documentation of another party in the list to some degree or other, and this network of connections is something which should be relatively easy to model.

Parties involved in a shipment:

Shipper ( seller of goods)
Freight Forwarder ( deals with movement of goods and documentation)
Charterer ( provides a Ship for carriage of the cargo)
Ship owner ( if different from the charterer)
Port Agency ( provides a local service between the ship and interested parties, sending documentation etc)
Customs ( at each port declarations have to be made and submitted)
Port Operators ( the owner of the port - load and discharge)
Consignees ( the final receiver of the cargo)
Insurers ( there could be many insurers involved for the Cargo, P&I, Ships machinery, Charterers protection etc......)
Fuel ( many of the moderate sized ships, say 50,000 tonnes, could use in the region of 30 tonnes per day in fuel, this involves logistics of f finding a local supplier, customs declarations, etc, etc,etc,,.......)
Surveyors ( may be involved on behalf of any of the parties to look into and report on any particular matter.
Crew ( very important one! - until automation- the crew has a full HR infrastructure.
Flag State ( the authority which issues much of a ships certification relating to place of registration)
Classification ( the authority, shuch as Lloyds, who certify the ships construction).
Port State ( the authorities of the current port, who would have regulations on safety etc)
BANKS ( yes you heard right, they're in it up to their knees, both as charterers, insurers, futures betting etc etc etc etc)
et al...

of course money, and the transfer thereof, play a major part in the operation, with the Bill of Lading document playing a critical part for the cargo ( it is interesting the gravity of this document/contract, and how it moves around. Of course there are many other monetary facets to shipping).

A particularly interesting thing to note with this industry, and its potential as a 'top down' model is not only that it is all encompassing, but also that it is highly standardised internationally ( though there are some local quirks), furthermore shipping pretty much IS contract.

I could go on and list a load more information now, but I would hope that the above is sufficient to whet some appetites. Whilst this would no doubt be a massive project, I believe that, with a framework in place, the shipping industry would not be hard to convince, and there would be many opportunities to make presentations to some of the big thinkers in the industry through associations such as the Shipping Professional Networks and others which could only lead to greater backing.