Issues with Mobo ASUS z170 pro gaming : can't detect 6 GPUs

CubirezCubirez Member Posts: 71
I decided to build a new rig, and was struck by a compulsive buying disorder :
instead of going for a standard asrock BTC PRO, i bought a skylake Asus Z170 Pro Gaming Mobo along with a pentium G4400, 6 GPUs and a PSU big enough to power everything.
My problem is the following : no matter what Os i use (tried Win10 / xubuntu 15.10 / xubuntu 14.04), my mobo is unable to detect all my GPUs.
At best i got 3 GPus working on each OS.
On windows 10, the mobo even recognized up to 5 GPU at one point, but 4 of them weren't working (This error showed up in the device and hardware monitor : This device cannot find enough free resources that it can use. If you want to use this device, you will need to disable one of the other devices on this system. (Code 12))

I've also tried to change the Mobo's BIOS, without any noticeable changes. I checked my risers one by one, no problem on this side.
I also noticed some erratic behaviors with the mobo : for instance, sometimes the keyboard / bootable USB stick wouldn't be recognized during the boot, with all GPUs connected to the mobo.

The question is : should i send the mobo to RMA or am I missing something here ?

Thanks,

Cubirez

Best Answer

Answers

• Yannick99Yannick99 Member Posts: 51
    edited March 2016
    It's good to know. I'm buing the same board tonight on ncix. I think that i'll my mind. I dont know if a z97 will be better ? For your question, i dont think your motherboard is bad. It's possibly a config problem, software or something with OS or qtminer. z170 are newer and maybe not tested yet by many people!
  • Yannick99Yannick99 Member Posts: 51
    edited March 2016
    @MrYukonC

Do you have the complete Gigabyte model ? I must buy something and the asrock BTC PRO isn't available anymore in my contry
  • MrYukonCMrYukonC Member Posts: 627 ✭✭✭
    @Yannick99

GA-F2A88X-UP4

They don't sell these new in the US anymore. I guess Gigabyte stopped making them? :( The last 2 I got, I had to buy used.

Maybe you can find one in your country.
  • adasebadaseb Member Posts: 1,043 ✭✭✭
    Read the manual

http://dlcdnet.asus.com/pub/ASUS/mb/LGA1151/Z170-PRO-GAMING/E10719_Z170_PRO_GAMING_UM_V2_WEB.pdf?_ga=1.240887811.1225753616.1454708221

Most likely some lanes are shared. I have a similar board, I can't connect to the X4 slot or 2 of my X1 slots become disabled.
    adaseb said:

Read the manual

http://dlcdnet.asus.com/pub/ASUS/mb/LGA1151/Z170-PRO-GAMING/E10719_Z170_PRO_GAMING_UM_V2_WEB.pdf?_ga=1.240887811.1225753616.1454708221

Most likely some lanes are shared. I have a similar board, I can't connect to the X4 slot or 2 of my X1 slots become disabled.

@adaseb

Regardless, they are junk. There are plenty of other MOBOs out there that support 6 GPUs. In 2016 if a MOBO can't do that, it's junk, period. ;)
  • blastbobblastbob Member Posts: 8
    You can start with setting the display adapter in BIOS from IGP to PEG. But then you need monitor connected to one of the GPUs. This made me go up from 3 to 4 cards. I used the Asrocks for 6 cards. They just work and the chipset dont make hell when you use ubuntu 14.04 etc :)
  • CubirezCubirez Member Posts: 71
    Thanks for the answers guys.

In the end i sent the mobo to RMA an bought an asrock btc pro instead :open_mouth:
    Working now
  • GodmodeGodmode AustriaMember Posts: 12
    Meh... I have the same board, and have troubles too, but I already ordered the Asrock board. On my ASUS Rampage V Extreme, I have no troubles with 5 GPUs with PCIe extenders.
  • kurthunkkurthunk Member Posts: 17
    Hi All

I am in a similar boat with Z170, but I have had success getting up to 5 GPUs, so I thought I would share what worked for me.

Hardware:
    ASRock Z170 Overclock Formula with BIOS v2.4
    5x AMD Fury Nano

Software:
    Ubuntu 14.04.4
    fglrx 15.201 (this is the default fglrx driver for this version of Ubuntu)

Steps:
    1. Install Ubuntu with no graphics cards installed
    2. install AMD driver "sudo apt-get install fglrx"
    3. Add graphics cards one at a time. Each time checking that they are seen by the OS
    sudo aticonfig --initial --adapter=all -f
    aticonfig --list-adapters

This worked for me up to 4 cards, and then I had to make some BIOS adjustments to get the 5th working. As mentioned before, I believe the issue has to do with PCIe contention.
    Under "Advanced->Chipset Configuration
    PCIE1 Link Speed = Gen 2
    PCIE4 Link Speed = Gen 2
    PCIE6 Link Speed = Gen 2
    Max TOLUD = 3.5Gb

I don't understand what the TOLUD setting is fixing, but without it my machine won't work. There were still some posting and rebooting to get the 5th card seen by the OS, but it worked. I use atitweak (https://github.com/mjmvisser/adl3) to alter fan speeds as aticonfig sometimes doesn't want to.

I am currently trying to get a 6th GPU in, but I keep getting error 55 from my motherboard. It is a memory error which is confusing. I will post again if I have success with that, or people have questions.

Hope that helps.
    @kurthunk

Thanks for the update. At least there is some progress to be made for people stuck with these pieces of crap.

But still...that is just too much work to have to mess with the BIOS that much just to get these only partially working, especially when there are other cheaper boards out there that "just work" right out of the box.
    While i was browsing the old day bitcoin threads, i came along a method that would help getting GPU recognized on the pcie x1 slots.
    On http://www.gobitgo.com/articles/1001/How-To-Correctly-Use-and-Install-PCI-E-Riser-Cables/
    see last section How To Install A PCI-E 1X Jumper Wire

It was reported to work on the older Z87 mobos. Unfortunately i don't have my Z97 anymore so I can't try this stuff.
    While i was browsing the old day bitcoin threads, i came along a method that would help getting GPU recognized on the pcie x1 slots.
    On http://www.gobitgo.com/articles/1001/How-To-Correctly-Use-and-Install-PCI-E-Riser-Cables/
    see last section How To Install A PCI-E 1X Jumper Wire

It was reported to work on the older Z87 mobos. Unfortunately i don't have my Z97 anymore so I can't try this stuff.
  • urayuray indonesiaMember Posts: 37
    Z170 has maximum 20 PCIe lanes
    and then mostly for LAN, onboard soundcard, onboard gpu and M.2 SATA are using PCIe link, so it use another 4 lanes

and then depending the type of motherboard, if you plug full width PCIe GPU slot on main PCIe (longest and nearest to cpu one) some motherboard allocate it with 16x if no other PCIe slot is plugged in, and down to 8x if allocation is not enough for other slot, and so on... but sometime for some MB they can't turn it down to 2x or 1x, so it not free up some PCIe lane for another GPU

the best solution is plug all GPU as PCIe 1x mode, you can use 1x PCIe riser for this just to fool MB to recognize the GPU as PCIe 1x device, or turn down PCIe gen from 3.0 to 2.0 or 1.0 on bios to free up PCIe lane bandwidth
  • bunkerhostbunkerhost Member Posts: 2
    Hello Guys,

I need you help

We have 16 Mobo MSI Z170A Xpower Gaming Titanium Edition ( 1151 )

We want connect 4 GPU Sapphire R9 390 Nitro each but is not working.

Is detecting just 1 GPU with Riser 16X to 1X.

We try to change in Bios GEN1 - GEN2 - GEN3 and nothing.

Can someone help me?

Thank You

• SleepyDogTWSleepyDogTW Member Posts: 3
    edited August 2016
    MrYukonC said:

Cubirez said:

The question is : should i send the mobo to RMA?

Thanks,

Cubirez

@Cubirez @Yannick99

I can confirm with an MSI Z170-A PRO motherboard the same issues. It can sometimes detect 6 GPUs and sometimes not.

Regardless, when I start ethminer during the rare times that it actually detects all 6 GPUs, it immediately kills either the onboard LAN or onboard USB or both.

I believe the Z170A chipset has too many devices routed through the PCIe bus and with 6 GPUs hooked up it becomes highly unstable. It can't maintain stability with more than 4 GPUs.

Basically, it's a piece of crap chipset regardless of motherboard manufacturer and I am RMA-ing my MOBO next week now that I have a replacement.

I've replaced it with a Gigabyte that I've used many times before and is 100% rock solid.
    Same issue with the MSI Z170A SLI, only 4 GPU support. I confirm with customer service, they say it might support 5 GPU by using win 10.
  • SvchostSvchost Member Posts: 7
    Hello
    any news to fixing this problem
  • drizzt_do_urdendrizzt_do_urden Member Posts: 181 ✭✭✭
    edited October 2016
    I have two Z170 mobos. 5 GPU is the max you can do with them. try to disable in bios the integrated graphics and the audio device. PCI-E lanes are shared only 5 work at the same time. and of course use windows 10. under windows 7 it won't work properly.
    Post edited by drizzt_do_urden on
  • WiddohWiddoh Member Posts: 11
    Have the msi z170. Finally got all 7 gpu working with bios mod stable running.
  • RavinderDhillonRavinderDhillon Member Posts: 74 ✭✭
    Widdoh said:

Have the msi z170. Finally got all 7 gpu working with bios mod stable running.

Please share the bios mod ...
  • outbreak198xoutbreak198x Member Posts: 14
    I also got a MSI Z170 Pro - it's really crap... in my case i can't get it running just with 3 Cards...

Tried plug in pcie 1x raiser in all 4 pcie x1 slots, and let the both x16 empty...

disabled onboard graphic, sound, M.2 not in use any more...

all time the same... not stable, BSOD, or just not starting...

i've here some Fujitsu RX300 S6 Servers... but i think i won't be able to run it with 3,4,5,6 GPUs not designed for it. - any ideas for it?
  • pcrescentipcrescenti Member Posts: 2
    Im having the same trouble over here...
    MSI Z170A with 6x GF1070 B. Edition

Only 4 of them are running, the other 2 isnt running propelly.
    all of them with risers...

already tried Gen 1 and 2 on Bios, and disabled the onB sound...
    couldt find to change the "max TOLUD" and could disable Graphis onB...

any sugestions?
  • mikeomikeo Member Posts: 176 ✭✭
    Cubirez said:

I decided to build a new rig, and was struck by a compulsive buying disorder :
    instead of going for a standard asrock BTC PRO, i bought a skylake Asus Z170 Pro Gaming Mobo along with a pentium G4400, 6 GPUs and a PSU big enough to power everything.
    My problem is the following : no matter what Os i use (tried Win10 / xubuntu 15.10 / xubuntu 14.04), my mobo is unable to detect all my GPUs.
    At best i got 3 GPus working on each OS.
    On windows 10, the mobo even recognized up to 5 GPU at one point, but 4 of them weren't working (This error showed up in the device and hardware monitor : This device cannot find enough free resources that it can use. If you want to use this device, you will need to disable one of the other devices on this system. (Code 12))

I've also tried to change the Mobo's BIOS, without any noticeable changes. I checked my risers one by one, no problem on this side.
    I also noticed some erratic behaviors with the mobo : for instance, sometimes the keyboard / bootable USB stick wouldn't be recognized during the boot, with all GPUs connected to the mobo.

The question is : should i send the mobo to RMA or am I missing something here ?

Thanks,

Cubirez

ASUS H170 Pro Gaming multi gpu solution (for me and one other member here) was to 'Enable 4G Encoding' in the BIOS.
  • jstaples2jstaples2 Member Posts: 3
    edited June 2017
    I was able to get my MSI Z170A SLI Plus MOBO + Windows 10 to recognize all 6 GTX 1070 cards yesterday.

I had to flash the bios to the latest version. Disabled the windows OS stuff in the bios along with the onboard sound, Set the PEG to Gen 1, Above 4G decoding set to ENABLE. Essentially followed this walkthrough - https://forum.z.cash/t/msi-z170-7-gpu-bios-setting-step-by-step/14473

Run 150 MH/s stock OOB cards, 175 - 180 MH/s with some tweaks to the cards.

Running claymore on nanopool. The system freezes up every 6 hours, so I'm still tweaking.

• pcrescentipcrescenti Member Posts: 2
    I did some mistake overhere, and kinda ruin my mobo...

I have the Z170A - Titanium...and by mistake, i downloaded and "downgraded" the BIOS to 1.7 with the file for the Z170A - Carbon....

Its kinda i have a Z170A Titanium/Carbon righ now...BUT...

...The problem is, that the BIOS cant read anymore any files to update... Titanium's or Carbon's files....

• gilmardalgilmardal Member Posts: 3
    edited August 2017
    I have h170 pro gaming and after a long time trying to simplemining recognize 7 GPUs (6 PCI EX and 1 m.2 to PCI EX 4x) I reach a solution, in the image has the config of my BIOS. It doesnt appears, but 4g decoding was activeted too.

7x GTX 1060 3gb and 6gb

Consider only the first collum

http://imgur.com/a/mx55T

Enjoy!
    Post edited by gilmardal on