gtx 970 with new buff better tha r9 280x ?

Comments

• JukeboxJukebox Member Posts: 640 ✭✭✭
    edited March 2016

In Windows it matters.

CPU load close to zero during GPU mining.
    Maybe your miner also uses CPU for hashing?
    :D
  • happytreefriendshappytreefriends Member Posts: 537 ✭✭✭
    Nope. It just matters.. TEsted it, proved it.
  • Marvell9Marvell9 Member Posts: 593 ✭✭✭
    He's right especially on Nvidia gpus, I was getting only 17mhs on Windows 7 on avegrage with my 3gpus I did some research and turned off Aero and cpu load dropped to around 30% and I'm getting 63mhs for all 3 970s

On my AMD boxes I don't have that problem on window 10 and Linux cpu usage is low at 20% but the dual cores are barely usable for anything else
  • verjicverjic Member Posts: 143
    Intel® Celeron™ G1840, 2800MHz, Haswell, 2MB, socket 1150 - this processor have enough power to run on Linux? But Windows?
    edited March 2016
    Regarding the 370s cheap at $150 with shipping I ran some numbers say you invest 5k that's around 30 gpus at 14mhs per gpu you get 420 Mhs (this all assumes you have psus and mb and CPUs in hand)

You need 5 Mb cpu combos for this so I think wattage is 100 per MN

That's 160 watt per gpu for around 5000 watts at .15 cents per watt that's overhead of $750 per month

420 Mhs pays out 12 a day which is 3k a month at current pricing so total profitability is 2200 around 2.5 month Roi

Now let's look at nvidia 970s

At 320 per card per 5k thats that's 15 cards or 3 motherboards with one motherboard only running 3 cards so 300 watt, from live testing a 970 pulls 110 watts to get 21

Power use total is 1950 at .15 watts thats $292 a month

So that's 315mhs total which is 9eth a day or $2250 per month or $1962 per month close to around the same ROI of the 370s

So as you see you have less machines to monitor , less gpus to offload once ether mining ends and overall less headache with the 370s than the 970s so

Which is why I'm leaning towards 970s

Honestly it's close to a wash imo unless you're able to source 370s lower or find a way to of then way higher than 14mhs
    Post edited by Marvell9 on
  • LogicaluserLogicaluser Member Posts: 214 ✭✭
    @Marvell9 Aero is a GPU accelerated feature, hence why disabling it can boost hashrate.

GPUshack.com has refurbished R9 270's for mining for $129 USD each, shipped
    http://gpushack.com/collections/gpushack/products/gpushack-r9-270x

Used 270/270x are regularly $100 USD or less.

My single core Sempron AM3 rigs perform about the same as my dual & quad-cores... except for DAG generation of course, which takes forever.

@Jukebox

You can't measure card power consumption via GPU-Z, the 'VDDC Current In' does not reflect real world power consumption for the whole card.

I just checked a 4x 280x rig and not a single card shows a VDDC Current In of above 9A, yet the rig is using 840w at the wall measured with Kill-a-watt.

@Jukebox

You can't measure card power consumption via GPU-Z, the 'VDDC Current In' does not reflect real world power consumption for the whole card.

I just checked a 4x 280x rig and not a single card shows a VDDC Current In of above 9A, yet the rig is using 840w at the wall measured with Kill-a-watt.

Some cards show correct, some - wrong.

I also control VDDC current readings with clamp multimeter. In my case - difference is 2-5%.
    Some power is not measurable this way because of PCI-E power source.

840 W at the wall. Don't forget PSU efficiency. In best case it ~90%
    840*0.9~750 W
    50 is for mobo, CPU, RAM, etc.
    700/4=175 W per card in your case.

My rig with undervolted 4*7950 consumes 700-720 W @ wall
    edited March 2016
    Yes GPU-Z is ALWAYS wrong. Sometimes less sometimes more. Use a Kill-a-watt or go home. Simple as that.

You say your rig uses 50watts for a mobo/cpu/sdd or sata hdd/risers/ram. Seems awful low to me.
    Most big rigs with 'proper' CPU's use almost 100watts. All of mine (I run 4 and 6core AMD FX/APU cpu's and full size motherboards use between 120-160watts. Since it costs me less than $120 for a set, it is a wash for the power savings which at this rate is trivial (few $$ a month difference is nothing).

*** Power Supplies the same no matter what, and if you UREALLY want to go cheap, you can get some 6-750watt cheapo EVGA's and use 2x per motherboard and be under $100. (Best buy just had a sale on 600watt Bronze EVGA 600's for $29.99 the other day. I bought.. A LOT... :smiley: *****

So.. Let's use the 6x XFX R7-370DD or asus R7-370strix (best card IMO). Both stock at 1050/1400Mhz and get 16+MH each STOCK. The Asus runs cooler and uses one PCIe connector for power, the XFX uses 2.
    That's about 100MH per rig. Since even retail you can get them for around $130 in the USA, and a complete Mobo/4x CPU/8GB/cheapo HDD will run about $200 new. So overall cost is roughly $1000, and earns $700+- per month at CURRENT prices/earnings.

It should use just about 1000watts, which at 0.15 per KWh is $108.00
    ROI is 50days, which is great.

Let's try the same with a Geforce based 970 @ 320 USD.
    Same mobo/cpu system, so $200 cost.
    6x GF970's = $1920
    Total cost is roughly $2150 USD.
    This will make about 126MH (If it's true).
    Income is : $880 per month.
    Power usage will be (If your power ratings is true) 750watts = $81.00
    ROI is : 80.625 days..

Soo.. Ummm... AMD wins by a HUGE margin..

Let's go one more bigger step (which I mostly did).
    Same $200 Mobo/parts setup (although I already had pretty much everything and some for free. :wink:
    6x XFX R9-390 GPU' @ 320 each = $1920.00
    About $2150 per rig cost same as the Nvidia rigs.
    BUT... They generate 180+-MH = $1250 a month.
    Power use will be about 200watts (I can get them to even less) per GPU, so the rig will use a total of about 1300watts, or at 0.15 per KWh = $140.00

ROI = 58days..

Yes GPU-Z is ALWAYS wrong. Sometimes less sometimes more. Use a Kill-a-watt or go home. Simple as that.

You say your rig uses 50watts for a mobo/cpu/sdd or sata hdd/risers/ram. Seems awful low to me.
    Most big rigs with 'proper' CPU's use almost 100watts. All of mine (I run 4 and 6core AMD FX/APU cpu's and full size motherboards use between 120-160watts. Since it costs me less than $120 for a set, it is a wash for the power savings which at this rate is trivial (few $$ a month difference is nothing).

So.. Let's use the 6x XFX R7-370DD or asus R7-370strix (best card IMO). Both stock at 1050/1400Mhz and get 16+MH each STOCK. The Asus runs cooler and uses one PCIe connector for power, the XFX uses 2.
    That's about 100MH per rig. Since even retail you can get them for around $130 in the USA, and a complete Mobo/4x CPU/8GB/cheapo HDD will run about $200 new. So overall cost is roughly $1000, and earns $700+- per month at CURRENT prices/earnings.

It should use just about 1000watts, which at 0.15 per KWh is $108.00
    ROI is 50days, which is great.

Let's try the same with a Geforce based 970 @ 320 USD.
    Same mobo/cpu system, so $200 cost.
    6x GF970's = $1920
    Total cost is roughly $2150 USD.
    This will make about 126MH (If it's true).
    Income is : $880 per month.
    Power usage will be (If your power ratings is true) 750watts = $81.00
    ROI is : 80.625 days..

Soo.. Ummm... AMD wins by a HUGE margin..

All this assumes your wattage rating and price of the 370s is correct I think you're off by quite a bit , power ratings of 970s has been verified by others at 90 to 130 max and the EVGA 970 do about 20.9 Mhs some ppl get 22 I hear

I have never seen a brand new 370 for $130 usd with free shipping at that price care to post a lot link?

No one but you has said they have 370s doing 16mhs at 170 watts but even if that's true it's quite inefficient
    How can a 380 or 380x do only 2 to 4?mhs less than a 370 that makes no sense for a 128 bit card

and those cards will never hold value like 970s remember the longer mining continues the worse they will perform while the 970 stays stable.

I guess we will agree to disagree I'll be buying 970s and 280x if I can get them at retail but staying away from 370s

edited March 2016
    a r7 370 is a overclocked 7850 aka cut down 7870/270, all with 256bit memory bus
    16mh is entirely reasonable at those clockspeeds (my uncut pair of 270s does 34.5mh)

His power estimate's actually on the high side for a 370, which has a TDP of 110w (270/270x are 150w TDP)
    AMD is notoriouly off on thier TDP, the 280x is rated at 200 but max load they pull 220-240 if the 370 is rated at 110 i would expect a real world power draw of 140is-150 but @happytreefriends says they pull close to 170 ?

If i could find brand new 370s for $130 usd with free shipping id be all over those but I'm not paying over $150 for a 2GB entry level card
    edited March 2016
    I've posted numerous times the exact watt usage of all my cards in the past. I'm not going to re post it for a 10th time, sorry. they are all below the max TDP.

If you're in the USA you can find them at near and below $130 (after rebate usually) at Micro Center directly, Best Buy sometimes on sale, and Newegg .

I picked up the Asus R7-370 Strix for $134.95-$15 Rebate.
    Most R9-390's are just around $300 and 380's under $200. (380x I've seen for $220.00)

I picked up 2x XFX R9-390x's yesterday for $400 just for testing. I'll send those back in a bit as they are barely better than the normal R9-390's, just clocked higher from factory.
    Marvell9 said:

All this assumes your wattage rating and price of the 370s is correct I think you're off by quite a bit , power ratings of 970s has been verified by others at 90 to 130 max and the EVGA 970 do about 20.9 Mhs some ppl get 22 I hear

I have never seen a brand new 370 for $130 usd with free shipping at that price care to post a lot link?

No one but you has said they have 370s doing 16mhs at 170 watts but even if that's true it's quite inefficient
    How can a 380 or 380x do only 2 to 4?mhs less than a 370 that makes no sense for a 128 bit card

and those cards will never hold value like 970s remember the longer mining continues the worse they will perform while the 970 stays stable.

I guess we will agree to disagree I'll be buying 970s and 280x if I can get them at retail but staying away from 370s

I think I'm done trying to discuss any of these things further with youa s you seem to be extremely thick-headed and close minded to see the truth. I have all these parts in stock, mining and I get to play with ANY hardware I want. I have posted all the info, data and specs I have used and ran, but you seem to 'miss' or chose not to read and comprehend what I wrote. I personally don't care what you do with your $$ :shrug: but you should not try to steer others into the wrong direction because of your personal but incorrect info/beliefs.

I'm done bothering to help you from now on. You do what ever the heck you want wasting your$$ on less potential earnings. Heck it helps me because you're earning less for spending more, so please KEEP DOING IT.. :smiley:
    280x TDP is 250w, as was the 7970 before it.

I have a killawatt, and my four 280x rig draws ~850w AC at the wall, using gold PSU so ~760w of DC.
    That's well under 200w each even before subtracting out the CPU, board, fans, etc...

My 270s use somewhere between 115w to 130w depending on the algorithm and clocks, I never bothered to meter them in isolation when mining ethereum

I've posted numerous times the exact watt usage of all my cards in the past. I'm not going to re post it for a 10th time, sorry. they are all below the max TDP.

If you're in the USA you can find them at near and below $130 (after rebate usually) at Micro Center directly, Best Buy sometimes on sale, and Newegg .

I picked up the Asus R7-370 Strix for $134.95-$15 Rebate.
    Most R9-390's are just around $300 and 380's under $200. (380x I've seen for $220.00)

I picked up 2x XFX R9-390x's yesterday for $400 just for testing. I'll send those back in a bit as they are barely better than the normal R9-390's, just clocked higher from factory.

if anyone is hard headed its you @happytreefriends , you constantly add "if its true" to the facts i stated vs power use and hash rate of the 970s but you expect me to take your word as verbatim ? c'mon man

I think i reseve the right to have a opinion of my own right ? its a free country, youre factoring rebates into your purchase price I never do that becase I have been burned on that "one per house hold" rebate limit most manurfcateures uses to screw people out of rebates , even if they do approve the darn thing half the time i never get the check in the mail total waste of time.

I was about to find these cards

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&N=100007709&IsNodeId=1&Description=r7 370&bop=And&Order=PRICE&PageSize=30

I see there are a bunch of cards around 134ish with shipping around $3.00 so lets say $140 so youre right on the price. I had no idea there were 4GB variants I might pick up and few and test the power draw and the hash rate thanks for the info.

on a side note after 24 hours on the pool my 3 970s are doing 66mhs on the solo pool, using 140 watts each.

Well.. Reading IS fundemental. Even if I speleld it out for you where to buy it and how to, you seem to miss the facts. Like I said. DO what you want, how you want it, after all, it's your wasted $$. LOL

Must be nice to get huge earnings of 66MH, from 3x cards that cost you $1K.. Good job. :D

I get 87MH+ from spending the same, albeit using 200watts each.. ROFL. (Ps. I get free power form my solar and residuals, so stick that in your pipe too). :wink:
    @happytreefriends its pretty obvious you dont care about power costs now it makes more sense
    most of us do I'll take efficiency long term over short term gains any time. For all we know the price could tank next week a month from now etc.

And my cards will all sell for 80% I bought them for 970s are in great demand , I'll be ok lol

. Use a Kill-a-watt or go home. Simple as that.

Most big rigs with 'proper' CPU's use almost 100watts.

Don't appeal here again to your Kill-a-watt. Even modern high-power PSU's have low efficiency (0.4-0.7) on low loads (<100 W)
    So if your rig have 50 W real consumption in idle mode, you will see 100-120 W with your Kill-a-watt because of efficiency.
  • blueboxbluebox Member Posts: 181 ✭✭
    Laughable thing is, I agree with almost everything all of you've said here. :D

Can you make coin and save some power spending a little more with GTX? Of course. Can you make coin and save some money while using more power with AMD? Of course.

If you're scaling up to max the number of cards on a single motherboard, with GTX you can go at least one and sometimes two more on the same PSU, shortening the ROI time quite a bit. As @Marvell9 said, even a year after introduction the 970's are still selling used for 80-85% original cost.

If you don't care much about power and have motherboards/PSU's to burn, some AMD's make the most sense especially if properly tuned. I doubt you'll want to buy new unless the used market's dry, the "right" cards can be just as expensive as a 970.

I'm perfectly happy with my dual-970 still-state-of-the-art gaming box mining 42MH on a mere 330W at the wall. I already ROI'd the system and one card on DRK/DASH last year, everything from ETH now is gravy, and I could still get $275 for each of them on eBay.

Each "side" in the argument can be right, given appropriate weighting. That's why we have a thing called choice, folks!
    bluebox said:

Laughable thing is, I agree with almost everything all of you've said here. :D

Can you make coin and save some power spending a little more with GTX? Of course. Can you make coin and save some money while using more power with AMD? Of course.

If you're scaling up to max the number of cards on a single motherboard, with GTX you can go at least one and sometimes two more on the same PSU, shortening the ROI time quite a bit. As @Marvell9 said, even a year after introduction the 970's are still selling used for 80-85% original cost.

If you don't care much about power and have motherboards/PSU's to burn, some AMD's make the most sense especially if properly tuned. I doubt you'll want to buy new unless the used market's dry, the "right" cards can be just as expensive as a 970.

I'm perfectly happy with my dual-970 still-state-of-the-art gaming box mining 42MH on a mere 330W at the wall. I already ROI'd the system and one card on DRK/DASH last year, everything from ETH now is gravy, and I could still get $275 for each of them on eBay.

Each "side" in the argument can be right, given appropriate weighting. That's why we have a thing called choice, folks!

@bluebox that's exactly what I'm trying to express to @happytreefriends but he seems to think efficiency/watt means nothing , it matters to some people, we all know eventually mining will be over for ethereum some of us want to plan ahead, some don't its all good lol.

There's relaly no wrong or right answer which is all I'm trying to say the 970s have a good niche cant just dismiss them out of hand.

edited March 2016
    I linked to some $130 mining 270x from GPUshack above, they can likely do +18mh

used cards locally are by far the best bargain IMO, I think my average price for a 7950 is around $125 CAD, so under $100 US.
    They use maybe 165-180w each depending on clocks/volts and do anywhere from 20.5-22mh depending on memory type

280x with Hynix memory are excellent.... but the Elpida based 280x are no better than 7950s, although they do retain value better and may have more remaining warranty.

• blueboxbluebox Member Posts: 181 ✭✭
    Marvell9 said:

@bluebox that's exactly what I'm trying to express to @happytreefriends but he seems to think efficiency/watt means nothing , it matters to some people, we all know eventually mining will be over for ethereum some of us want to plan ahead, some don't its all good lol.

There's relaly no wrong or right answer which is all I'm trying to say the 970s have a good niche cant just dismiss them out of hand.

@Marvell9 Haven't I seen you in the bitchcointalk forum? You've seen how grumpy people can get when their perceptions are challenged.

I dumped a bunch of 79xx's a while ago when small-farm litecoin mining pooped out. Decided to do some high-end gaming instead when the 970's came out, and I also wanted a silent but powerful dual-boot workstation.

By the time I tripped over ethereum, nVidia is what I had, not AMD. You run what you got, not always what you like, but I'm not getting sucked into GPU farm mining again like the old days; leave that to the script kiddies that know everything... :D
  • EastwindEastwind Member Posts: 107
    Does the XFX 390 use the hynix memory? Is that voltage locked?
  • anonymous95anonymous95 Member Posts: 248
    Gigabyte Radeon R9 280X OC 3GB GDDR5 Is good for mining?
    Will be at 22mhs like Sapphire r9 280x?
  • verjicverjic Member Posts: 143
    My R9 380 do 19,5 MHS, it is because of difficulty? Or I have to do some tweaks for more MHS?

Thank You
  • anonymous95anonymous95 Member Posts: 248
    380 is doing lower than 280x I was reading.
    I have a questions bought a 3x280x a days ago with a psu 850W and now I recive message by the seller company It isn enought this PSU for these 3x280x because every single card is requered 600W ? Is this right?
    And how people are doing this? 3x280X with 750 and I purches 850W and they told me isnt enough? I am realy confused.
    Sorry about my english :( I hope you can understand me.
    They have no clue what hey are talking about. Even factory TDP is 250watts (MAX).
    A 280x will use about 220watts more or less. LESS if you can undervolt it.
    850watt PS with 3GPU's and everything is pushing the limits though. You will be very close to the efficiency drop off on most bronze or silver 850's. If it's a gold or platinum (I doubt) you'll be ok unless you are building with a power hungry CPU/non SSD Drive or overclocking.
    bluebox said:

Marvell9 said:

@Marvell9 Haven't I seen you in the bitchcointalk forum? You've seen how grumpy people can get when their perceptions are challenged.

I dumped a bunch of 79xx's a while ago when small-farm litecoin mining pooped out. Decided to do some high-end gaming instead when the 970's came out, and I also wanted a silent but powerful dual-boot workstation.

By the time I tripped over ethereum, nVidia is what I had, not AMD. You run what you got, not always what you like, but I'm not getting sucked into GPU farm mining again like the old days; leave that to the script kiddies that know everything... :D
    @bluebox yes I'm a long hero member on litecointalk and long time member on bitcointalk as well , I agree with you , mine with what you have , if you have tons of space and power get the cheaper AMD gpus if youre small time home mining the 970s are the best bet.

I have a 4 GPU 970 build right now I'm testing it gets around 90mhs at the pool the one issue being that the CPU is a huge bottleneck in windows 7. Its constanly at 60-80% cpu on ethminer which slows down the share submitting I don't know if its an issue with the latest Genoli ethminer build or the fact that CUDA needs more CPU horsepower.

power usage for the whole box is 3 AMPs on my metered PDU with nothing else on it so 720watts give or take. 100 for the CPU and Motherboard leaves 620 so around 155 watts per GPU not bad for 80-90 mhs
    edited March 2016

I have a questions bought a 3x280x a days ago with a psu 850W and now I recive message by the seller company It isn enought this PSU for these 3x280x because every single card is requered 600W ? Is this right?
    And how people are doing this? 3x280X with 750 and I purches 850W and they told me isnt enough? I am realy confused.

Just relax. 850 W PSU is enough for 3*280X
    My rigs with 4*7950 run on Chieftec APS-850C during 3 years with no problem.

Sorry about my english :( I hope you can understand me.

Українська? Русский?
    :)