Best pool to mine on?

manav1112manav1112 Member Posts: 15
Hi

I am a new miner, currently mining on nanopool for around 2 or 3 days

I was thinking whether I should go for TalkEther, Dwarfpool, Coinotron, ethpool, or solo mining or some other pool!

Here are my statistics on nanopool. My machines read out 102 MH/s and 39 MH/s, I am using ethminer: eth.nanopool.org/account/0x83bc84bea45db0ca16d22725d066bc009d11413a

For miners its hard to know when we are new which pool will give us the best return so I wanted to ask here.

Comments

• happytreefriendshappytreefriends Member Posts: 537 ✭✭✭
    I think solo mining is the way to goo. Also keeps pools from getting... too big.
  • manav1112manav1112 Member Posts: 15

I think solo mining is the way to goo. Also keeps pools from getting... too big.

But would you really recommend it for a new miner at a time when difficulty, network hashrate and ethereum value is fluctuating? Because solo mining is not really too predictable and could take me a while till I get a block and is luck-based.

Difficulty will only get worse, price fluctuations are common and will not make any difference on mining on a pool vs solo.

From what I have seen, pool mining earns quite a bit less than solo mining, so it's up to the person owning the rig.

If you are doing it for 'income' where you want to get paid right away to cover the costs and electricity, you shouldn't be mining it. Period.

Currently I am feeling my best bet is to join onto Dwarfpool, while unsure about perhaps joining ethpool (solo mining) or talkether (efficiency) or weipool (0% fee)

Difficulty will only get worse, price fluctuations are common and will not make any difference on mining on a pool vs solo.

From what I have seen, pool mining earns quite a bit less than solo mining, so it's up to the person owning the rig.

If you are doing it for 'income' where you want to get paid right away to cover the costs and electricity, you shouldn't be mining it. Period.

Definitely, this isnt for income haha! Its just I am trying to compare different methods of mining to see which turns to be the most efficient :)
    Then you should do a fair comparison across each. Do solo for a week, pool for a week, etc..
    On my rigs I have earned about 30% extra solo mining than vs a pool. (suprnova).
    edited February 2016

Then you should do a fair comparison across each. Do solo for a week, pool for a week, etc..
    On my rigs I have earned about 30% extra solo mining than vs a pool. (suprnova).

Thanks for the advice, only thing is that if someone knew before hand because he tried it already he could post it here because then each person would not have to try for himself.
  • dlehenkydlehenky Member Posts: 2,249 ✭✭✭✭
    I agree with @happytreefriends that solo mining is absolutely more efficient / pays better, by far, compared to pools, although talkether will be very close to solo. With solo you just have to accept the wide variance in blocks-found time, and it's not luck, it's probability (statistics). If you mine long enough, you *will* average the calculated time-to-mine, but with a small rig, that could take several weeks, or even months, to even out.

-Best Care
    David
    dlehenky said:

I agree with @happytreefriends that solo mining is absolutely more efficient / pays better, by far, compared to pools, although talkether will be very close to solo. With solo you just have to accept the wide variance in blocks-found time, and it's not luck, it's probability (statistics). If you mine long enough, you *will* average the calculated time-to-mine, but with a small rig, that could take several weeks, or even months, to even out.

-Best Care
    David

But when difficulty rises, is it not more efficient in pool mining? and are you saying that about TalkEther from your own experience? :smile:
    @manav1112 : No, the pool does not become more efficient just because the difficulty rises. The probabilities are what they are, pool or solo. The pool has a easier, artificial difficulty that you mine against for your (*very* small) fractional portion of the block reward, but the real difficulty to mine the block is just as hard for the pool as it is for the solo miner. The problem with pools is that introduce a great deal of latency (delay) between you and the Ethereum network, where the blocks are coming from, plus they assess fees. A solo miner is directly connected to the blockchain, via 'geth', so the delay in receiving a block is as low as your internet connection allows.

No, I have not used talkether myself. My hash rate is high enough that it doesn't have any benefit for me compared to direct solo mining. However, I know how the pool works, and it is as close to solo mining as you can get, since you *are* running your own full node (with 'geth' or 'eth'), so you *are* directly connected to the blockchain, without delays. Talkether is simply pooling the full block rewards and dividing them proportionally to the pool members, which helps even out the block payment time for small miners, without introducing the typical pool delay between the miner and the blockchain.

I hope that helps you sort out your options.

-Best Care
    David
    @manav1112 : Btw, ethpool.org is very similar to talkether.org. Either one is very close to solo mining, compared to the other pools.
  • DPS50DPS50 Member Posts: 79
    manav1112
    I was mining at Cointron but i had the feeling that something was wrong there
    This week i am trying Dwarfpool but I am not happy again, 0.20Eth are missing if you compare it to the online calculators.
    So it might be more profitable to move to weipool (0% fee)

What's your results so far ?
    @DPS50 I'm getting 12 blocks (59.4 ETH, after 1% fee) a day, average, with 1.95 GH/s on ethpool.org.
  • descartedescarte Member Posts: 25
    dwarfpool used to be good but i was getting a lot less. I once had 66 shares in 1 hr and was paid like 30 shares. I am now on suprnova. suprnova used to be bad and now is good for me so far.
    dlehenky I will try the ethpool.org to see ...
    Btw what about some pools with 0% fee ? too unstable ?
  • tflux99tflux99 Member Posts: 31
    ppl move around share your hashrate around the pools or just do solomining otherwise one pool soon it will be dwarfpool reach 51% of the global eth hashpower this is not good keep it decentralized sry 4 bad english :)
    Aaaa i just read about ethpool.org ,,, it's a solo mining pool and i hate their credit system ....
    So any other pool suggestion ?
    Coinotron ?
    weipool ?
    https://eth.suprnova.cc ?
    Nanopool ?
    dont forget talkether.org
    Any experience from weipool , supernova , nanopool and talkether ?
    suprnova fluctuates a lot, miners have experienced that it can be the best and sometimes totally weird. Talkether reports higher revenue but try it out for a while, its a different setup. Nanopool, I myself have not had too good of an experience while I was there. I have never used weipool.
    From my experience, suprnova was underpaying by 30% vs nanopool and dwarfpool when I ran a test on them.
    Suprnova also seem very unstable (At least other altcoins are), so I'm sure their eth pool is poor like all the others.
  • crsminercrsminer Member Posts: 75
    ethpool.org - hashrate displayed in pool is about 10% slower than miner speed but payouts are on par with the calculators.

In order to get a real result in comparing pools I think you need to mine on a pool for at least 48 hours and compare the payouts not the hash.
  • earonestyearonesty Member Posts: 8
    dwarfpool is at 40% now... is anyone worried?
  • suryawonosuryawono Member Posts: 63
    @earonesty they just make 2 seperate pool, dwarfpool 1 and dwarpool 2
  • EtheonEtheon Member Posts: 5
    I was on dwarfpool at first, but I switched on ethpool 1 week ago, it's perfect !
    "making separate pools" doesn't count. because they still control their software. what's at stake is: can someone publish code and own the majority fork. answer: dwarfpool+ethpool could fork ethereum tomorrow and the longest chain would go to them.
    there needs to be at least 10 or so major pools. one solution is to enforce p2pool. in other words, in addition to proof of work/stake miners have to submit a proof that they mined using p2pool. the advantage here is that there is, guaranteed, no way you can have "pools" ... mining machine owners always control their software.
    ((it's abundantly clear to me that ethereum, while totally cool in many ways, doesn't have the maturity to handle the current valuation.))
  • blueboxbluebox Member Posts: 181 ✭✭
    Tried suprnova, dwarfpool, others. Still kept on using coinotron, payouts are as expected/advertised, rarely have issues. New charts are nice to have. Stratum still needs a lot of work, but I didn't see any production difference from the normal port.

(btw when plotting production vs. difficulty, in over a month it hasn't budged from a straight line in spite of going from 10T to over 16T... so much for difficulty playing a part in mine-ability or payouts...)
    dlehenky said:

@DPS50 I'm getting 12 blocks (59.4 ETH, after 1% fee) a day, average, with 1.95 GH/s on ethpool.org.

Love to see that electric bill... :D
  • timeheraldtimeherald Member Posts: 6
    Any comments on which pool has better payouts between dwarfpool and ethpool?