MakerChain/MakerCoin

HappyOwlCEOHappyOwlCEO Member Posts: 17 ✭✭
Been having a lot of inspiration lately - I hope it's good ;)

MakerChain - open sourcing physical goods making and encouraging localized microfacturing

Problem: The current materials economy is wrecking the planet.

Concept: create a decentralized "app store" of "things" that a person can make themselves (with 3d printing or membership at a hackerspace) or have made by a local craftsman or microfacturing facility so that manufacturing of goods doesn't have to get offshored to wherever the highest concentrations of poverty and cheaply exploitable labor happens to be, and the fossil fuels used to ship the goods all over the world can be curtailed significantly.

People with designs for products; anywhere from the idea stage all the way to prototyped and proven specs submit their "thing" to the blockchain. Other users up-vote and down-vote ideas they like. If someone has an idea for a change in the design, or an additional layer to an incomplete idea, a new branch of the chain is created when they submit their idea. Those branches get up-voted and down-voted as well.

End users can download a set of plans and join a local maker-space/hacker-space to build the thing themselves, or hire a local micro-facturer to build it for them. The plans are open-source and available to all for free, but if an individual appreciates them, they submit a tip and the individuals who contributed to the idea get cuts of the tip (similar to quirky). Lots of groups are working on putting mini makershops into shipping containers so they can literally be placed wherever there is need for one (everywhere). All of the businesses that support this economy (Hackerspaces, Makerspaces, microfacturing facilities) can offer discounts to their customers for paying in MakerCoin in order to support the value of the coin and financially support the work-effort of the miners, and a central foundation can repay those discounts so the business doesn't need to eat the loss.

Foundation can also offer grants (in MakerCoin) to makers or inventors who come up with new, less resource heavy ways to make things. Or ways to make something out of more recyclable materials than they currently are - anything geared toward *actual sustainability*.

Full disclosure: I am working on founding a hardware design and microfacturing coop, so I obviously have some specific financial interest in this type of idea. Closed-source goods, however, I feel are part of the problem of the materials economy, so, if this idea has legs, I would be inclined to develop products specifically to release them into an open source network - and then get paid in tips by those who think they're good products and also offer the service of producing the product for them if they're local enough.

Comments

• HappyOwlCEOHappyOwlCEO Member Posts: 17 ✭✭
    a little extra info:
    the only thing i didn't quite follow was "as an idea for a change in the design, or an additional layer to an incomplete idea, a new branch of the chain is created when they submit their idea. Those branches get up-voted and down-voted as well." are you talking about voting blocks in the chain or just entities that can be upvoted or down voted?

as i see it, the chain carries the designs, and when someone submits an idea for a change in that idea it gets attached to the merkle tree for that design
    but a branch is made
    with the old idea on one branch and the new idea on another branch
    and whichever gets more up votes will develop further
    but both are still available to download
    the more popular one would just be easier to find
    and this way "ownership" of the ideas is preserved by the chain
    so when an end user submits a tip for it, it can travel back up the tree to find the owners of the idea
    if only one person put the whole idea out, he gets the whole tip
    if someone added an idea that gets as many up votes as the original idea, he gets 50% of the tip
    i would guess that if the original idea is 90% of the final thing and one small change contributes a change of about 10% of the thing, most likely the ratio of votes between the original idea and the branch where the extra idea is added would reflect that
    but i don't know for sure that it actually would ;)
  • StephanTualStephanTual London, EnglandMember, Moderator Posts: 1,282 mod
    That video is very informative and describes a complex system in simple words. Bookmarked.
    They've produced a whole series of videos now that get into the details of many specific industries as well. http://storyofstuff.org/
  • LeanLean Member Posts: 28 ✭✭
    I think this idea is partly done by the maker movement. They open source the designs so everybody can download, print/make, redesign... But it's interesting to think about the blockchain and possibly new coins, how everything can mix and enrich the ecosystem.

About the video, the last trend in Advertising/Marketing industry is to switch from participating in this "golden arrow" shown in the video, to power and support the "conscious consumption". A big player in this game could be Alex Bogusky, top creative advertiser, who's now launching Common Market Place and other iniciatives. My own blog www.brandoing.com was also about this "redefining capitalism" thinking... But quoting @Ursium, it's more fun "Rebooting civilization" than simply "redefining capitalism" :D (I'm Thinking on the first one thanks to Ethereum, and Doing the second one thanks to my entrepreneurial companies).

As an example/inspiration for this idea @HappyOwlCEO , I would suggest to take a look on the last iniciative led by Arduino. They has just turned into a community/platform with a reward/affiliate program where the authors of the most popular/downloaded designs, earn a small fee/comission for the components the company sells -thanks to the creativity and creations of their clients-.
  • CubeSpawnCubeSpawn Member Posts: 33 ✭✭✭
    I think there is substantial potential for this idea to gain traction in combination with a system of open source hardware to enable makers/hackers to access higher capability tools and machines, and lower their cost... take a look here:

http://forum.ethereum.org/index.php?p=/discussion/98/cubespawn-an-affordable-distributed-open-source-fms-flexible-manufacturing-system#latest

and http://cubespawn.com
    and https://picasaweb.google.com/103828779781480193226
    @Lean and @CubeSpawn - thanks, both of you, for your thoughts on this project. We're fleshing out the idea further in a google doc so drop me a line if you'd like invites to check it out - would really appreciate your input on where it's going.
    further discussion on this alt-chain has moved offline for it's early steps - PM me if you'd like to get involved with it.
  • TuskTusk Member Posts: 33
    Hey Devon, Loved the video and am on same page as you when it comes to using the merkle tree and block chain ledger to reward sustainable IP (intellectual property). http://forum.ethereum.org/discussion/298/trinitycoin-creating-value-through-values#latest

Great initiative, would love to support y7ou and Xavier going forward I will keep intouch :)