Motherboard for 4 GPU

syaoran99syaoran99 Member Posts: 204
Hi I'm pretty new to the ETH mining thing, I'm just wondering if my motherboard with 2 GPU slots is able to hold 4 GPU using any sort of "extension" adapters?

For example attaching risers to each GPU and have another GPU connected to it? Would that work somehow? or would I need to buy a new 4GPU slot MOBO?

Comments

• dlehenkydlehenky Member Posts: 2,249 ✭✭✭✭
    You'll have a hard time running GPUs slammed next to each other in every MB slot without serious heat issues. Miners generally use PCIe x1-x16 powered risers. You can find them on the Web, although they vary widely in price, quality, and availability. They all come from China. I do not recommend the cheap ribbon cable type. You want the powered USB type. This allows you to mount you GPUs external to the PC case. Google around - there's plenty of info out there on the various mining sites. I have some risers that are working very well for me. I have extras, if you're interested, or I can give you the info on where I got mine, although I ordered in bulk directly from China using AliExpress.

-Best Care
    David
    Btw, this is the MB I'm using: ASRock H97 Anniversary LGA 1150 Intel H97 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard. It's a new MB intended (it seems) to replace Asrock's older (and problem-prone) BTC mining MB. I have had great results, so far (I'm running 5 of them). And they're cheap: Newegg $79 qty 1, $71 qty 2-5. You get 1 x16 PCIe2 slot and 5 x1 slots. I run one GPU in the MB x16 slot and use 5 risers in the x1 slots, so 6 GPUs per rig. I use a Intel i3 4160 processor, which I consider to be the best buy for CPUs - 2 cores, 4 threads, 3.6 GHz, for about $121. It's still a bit of overkill for mining, but it's a very capable processor for the money. HTH.

-Best Care
    David
  • syaoran99syaoran99 Member Posts: 204
    dlehenky said:

Btw, this is the MB I'm using: ASRock H97 Anniversary LGA 1150 Intel H97 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard. It's a new MB intended (it seems) to replace Asrock's older (and problem-prone) BTC mining MB. I have had great results, so far (I'm running 5 of them). And they're cheap: Newegg $79 qty 1, $71 qty 2-5. You get 1 x16 PCIe2 slot and 5 x1 slots. I run one GPU in the MB x16 slot and use 5 risers in the x1 slots, so 6 GPUs per rig. I use a Intel i3 4160 processor, which I consider to be the best buy for CPUs - 2 cores, 4 threads, 3.6 GHz, for about $121. It's still a bit of overkill for mining, but it's a very capable processor for the money. HTH.

-Best Care
    David

Thanks David for the stats of your rig.

I think I will follow the build you're using as I'm definitely intending to buy more than 1 rig if the price of ETH stays stable. Currently tho I'm testing out making one rig first from my old MOBO that I don't use anymore. I didn't know that PCIex1 slots could be used but I did manage to google about the cables earlier yesterday and bought some from ebay. Though the price for each is costing me around 11AUD each.

Does yours cost less than that including shipping?(Shipping for me is F.O.C) Also for the CPU as long as it's cheap and it works with the MOBO I think it would be sufficient haha :)

Oh and for PSU would you recommend using one PSU or having two PSU bound together on a jumper? I'm just worried that if it's only one PSU that if it was a 1300W PSU it would kill the Wall Power Source because it's all focused on one node. lol.
    @syaoran99 : I don't think I could get the x1 risers to you Downunder for a reasonable price - the shipping would be crazy! I use low power GPUs, so I can run a 6-GPU rig nicely on one 1300w PS, but the GPUs are pricey. My rigs draw 10 AMPS @ 120v measured at the wall. Getting into dual power supplies is not what I wanted to do, although I know that's the route most folks go. The x1 risers work great, since there's very little data actually going to-from the GPU. Even the DAG doesn't take noticeably longer to load on the board when you start ethminer up. Pretty sweet, really. Mining is a lot different than playing video games :smile:

Good luck!

-Best Care
    David
    dlehenky said:

@syaoran99 : I don't think I could get the x1 risers to you Downunder for a reasonable price - the shipping would be crazy! I use low power GPUs, so I can run a 6-GPU rig nicely on one 1300w PS, but the GPUs are pricey. My rigs draw 10 AMPS @ 120v measured at the wall. Getting into dual power supplies is not what I wanted to do, although I know that's the route most folks go. The x1 risers work great, since there's very little data actually going to-from the GPU. Even the DAG doesn't take noticeably longer to load on the board when you start ethminer up. Pretty sweet, really. Mining is a lot different than playing video games :smile:

Good luck!

-Best Care
    David

Thanks a lot m8,

I managed to get everything bought from a really nice new business for mining with 2 years warranty. GPUshack. They've shipped their orders through and I'm due to receive it soon. Just waiting on their official release of the layman friendly ethereumOS :)
    @syaoran99 : Yes, I have my eye on ethOS, as well. The 16 GB ssd it comes on costs less than the hard drive I currently use, plus it saves me the time and effort of cloning the disks. Seems like a no-brainer :smile:
    dlehenky said:

@syaoran99 : Yes, I have my eye on ethOS, as well. The 16 GB ssd it comes on costs less than the hard drive I currently use, plus it saves me the time and effort of cloning the disks. Seems like a no-brainer :smile:

I don't get what you mean by cloning disks lol. But either way I'm so bad at tech and have no knowledge of linux so yeah. Even getting Ethminer done on my windows pc took me a whole day lol. I'm sure it will come in handy for many out there like me who wants to mine.
  • ethfanethfan Member Posts: 458 ✭✭✭
    16GB SSD will quickly cause problems because every epoch a new DAG file is created. Currently each about 1.5GB Within weeks the disk is full. A workaround is to manually delete the older DAGs but that is extra work that is un-necessary if you, say, put in a 320GB HDD which should cover you till the end of POW. This is why I gave up on the idea of using USB thumbdrives for my rigs.
    ethfan said:

16GB SSD will quickly cause problems because every epoch a new DAG file is created. Currently each about 1.5GB Within weeks the disk is full. A workaround is to manually delete the older DAGs but that is extra work that is un-necessary if you, say, put in a 320GB HDD which should cover you till the end of POW. This is why I gave up on the idea of using USB thumbdrives for my rigs.

They've developed a script to help you do that automatically. I've been with them the past few days and they've proven that even a 1GB usb stick is sufficient to run the OS
    @ethfan : You must be running Windows. Pruning old DAGs is a trivial issue on Linux; a simply 'cron' job will take care of it without any manual effort. SSDs are normally SATA and "thumb" drives are USB, btw - there not the same thing, other than using flash memory.
    @syaoran99 : There are utilities for Windows that will clone (make an exact copy, byte for byte) of one disk to another. On linux, you just use the 'dd' command. Once you get a reference system running, you can simply clone that system's disk (it can't be running the system when you do the cloning) for new systems, instead of reinstalling all the pieces over and over. Saves and lot of time and errors.

-Best Care
    David
  • ethfanethfan Member Posts: 458 ✭✭✭
    dlehenky said:

@ethfan : You must be running Windows. Pruning old DAGs is a trivial issue on Linux; a simply 'cron' job will take care of it without any manual effort. SSDs are normally SATA and "thumb" drives are USB, btw - there not the same thing, other than using flash memory.

Good tip! Care to share the line used in cron?
    @ethfan : I haven't needed to implement anything - I have 1TB drives. I doubt you could do a bulletproof 'cron' job for this in one line, but I could be wrong. A short script should do it, though. 'ls -l $HOME/.ethash | sort -r -n -k5' would give the DAG file listings in largest-first order. Put that into 'awk' and delete any filenames not equal to the filenames of the 2 largest DAGs (filenames in first 2 lines). Something like that.