Mining Hardware Comparison

2»

Comments

• HelioxHeliox Member, Moderator Posts: 634 mod
    @bitcanuck

I can't wait to test this myself mate :)

Will have results on friday for sure!

Anyhow, "at this moment" you seem to be right though.

Core @ 1000 vs 840, difference is almost none.. Weird...

But again, i'm one of those people: "i need to see this for myself before i believe it :tongue:

None the less, thx for your screenshots and our convo :)

Greetings!
  • TruthchanterTruthchanter Member Posts: 549 ✭✭✭
    So with the newer drivers I should be able to underclock the core that low (840) on my 380? Or is that only possible with a bios flash?
    @bitcanuck

That's the part that's weird, it's just not logical :tongue:

I understand the performance impact regarding timings, as i've changed those multiple times and had some very nice improvements. So i know how they can react.

I just haven't encountered a situation like this before.

All the cards i own, (and i tested it while we had our convo about this point) they all decrease in hashrate with every step i take.

So for example: changing core from 1000 to 950, decreases hashrate, from 950 to 900 as well, and so on..

Tested on a 280x, 290, 290x, 390, 390x, Nano, Fury X and even on my Radeo 78** series :)

I do have to say, i own a nice amount of cards as you can see, but i do not own a tonga card.

Again, i'm even more curious to my results friday.. can't wait :)

Greetings!
  • jtremblaytdstjtremblaytdst Member Posts: 33
    Wow a single gpu do 1100mh/s haha dude I need 5 of them
    bitcanuck said:

Heliox said:

You can easily crank those babies up to over 1200 core clock.
    But that 1125 will remain stable for weeks! i'm running mine at 1150 :) (memclock as well :p)

1150/1150 has been stable for me and gives 31.98-32Mhs. 1200/1200 locks up the GPU; you must have got lucky if you have one that goes to 1200. I'm testing 1175/1175 now and getting 32.67 (GPU4):
    ETH: GPU0 20.832 Mh/s, GPU1 16.213 Mh/s, GPU2 16.235 Mh/s, GPU3 16.215 Mh/s, GPU4 32.670 Mh/s

Got one that does 1260 Core, 1125 Mem = 38,5 mh/s

:wink:
  • adasebadaseb Member Posts: 1,043 ✭✭✭
    bitcanuck said:

A ref R9 290 I ordered arrived today, and so far I can't see why people get so excited about them. The one I got is locked (R1: F8010005), so I can't flash it to a 290X. And since they run so hot, the damn things throttle. Got it doing 28.1Mhs clocked at 1100/1100, but need to keep a box fan on it to keep it from throttling.
    Going to try a stilt BIOS tomorrow. If it doesn't get me to 31Mhs I might not even keep it. My tri-x 290 is definitely a keeper though!

Where is it kept? Behind some cards or inside a computer case?
    @bitcanuck
    bitcanuck said:

Heliox said:

bitcanuck said:

1150/1150 has been stable for me and gives 31.98-32Mhs. 1200/1200 locks up the GPU; you must have got lucky if you have one that goes to 1200. I'm testing 1175/1175 now and getting 32.67 (GPU4):

ETH: GPU0 20.832 Mh/s, GPU1 16.213 Mh/s, GPU2 16.235 Mh/s, GPU3 16.215 Mh/s, GPU4 32.670 Mh/s

Got one that does 1260 Core, 1125 Mem = 38,5 mh/s

:wink:
    WTF? That can't be at stock voltages. I'm guessing >1.3V for the core?
    Ha, no of course not :) +100mV VDDC, maxed it out though, higher than 1260 crashes drivers. :)
    bitcanuck said:

A ref R9 290 I ordered arrived today, and so far I can't see why people get so excited about them. The one I got is locked (R1: F8010005), so I can't flash it to a 290X. And since they run so hot, the damn things throttle. Got it doing 28.1Mhs clocked at 1100/1100, but need to keep a box fan on it to keep it from throttling.
    Going to try a stilt BIOS tomorrow. If it doesn't get me to 31Mhs I might not even keep it. My tri-x 290 is definitely a keeper though!

Got 9 ref 290's that aren't unlockable either mate, but yes i'm very excited about them, still am!
    True, they run "kind" of hot, around 70 degrees now. But to be honest, i don't have throttle issues.

I flashed them all with the modded 390 rom though. They're now doing 29.4Mh @ core 1020, 1125 mem clock and -50mV VDDC. If i raise that core to 1100 i easiliy hit 33Mh mate. I can show you if you want :)

The Stilt bios will give you some performance boost as well.

Greetings!
    edited June 2016
    bitcanuck said:

I've flashed Stilt's BIOS to the 2 ref cards I have. It's a big improvement, but I'm still figuring things out. Under Windows GPU-Z shows the same VDDC of 1023mV for both, even though I flashed the 1150mV image to one, and the 1200mV image to the other.
    Mining under Linux the one with the 1150mV BIOS will OC to 1100 core, the same as the one with the 1200mV BIOS. That gives me 30.6Mhs.

@bitcanuck

GPU-Z reading is normal, The Stilt did the vddc mod on DPM7 state. So you won't notice when opening GPU-Z when idle.

Like i said before, going to get that 380 tomorrow, will do a lot of tests, will as well make some screens of my 290 ref setup with roms and settings..

Greetings!
  • ImAMiner?ImAMiner? Member Posts: 208 ✭✭
    edited June 2016
    @bitcanuck How are you choosing which Stilt's bios to flash? I flashed mine so long ago I can't remember. I think I played it safe with a little higher voltage but I tried to guesstimate using ASIC values...

@Heliox Looking forward to your 290 ref info
  • adasebadaseb Member Posts: 1,043 ✭✭✭
    bitcanuck said:

I've done some more testing with the Stilt 1.225V & 1.1V ROMS. At 1.225 I can OC to 1150/1250 core/mem, getting 32.0Mhs. At 1.1V, I can OC to 1025Mhz, giving 28.5Mhs at about 7C lower temperatures and significantly lower power consumption. The extra 3.5Mhs from 1025 to 1150Mhz comes at a cost of ~25J/Mh.

So what is the power consumption exactly for both modes?
    edited June 2016
    @bitcanuck

Glad you're making progress with those stilt roms :)

If you're done testing with those, try the 390 ones.. you'll be pleased as well!

Ok, further. Here goes..

So we had are discussion about the 380 being stuck at a certain hashrate between core clock 850ish and 1000+..

Well, i argued with you that that was impossible and i said i was going to go get one to test for myself because i couldn't believe it.

So i went out and got one.

I initially wanted the XFX DD one, but the Nitro came out a lot cheaper as i got a discount on that one.

So here it is.

Sapphire R9 380 Nitro with Backplate
    https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B_cBBoZ_PTwOTFdZT1k4dThjSU9lUFVOVVZnUi1lRldfLXNB

Got myself setup to have some fun.
    https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B_cBBoZ_PTwOQ3g0Y1N3S3NaWktCcnc5cjRHandUMU90VHg4

System specs (ya, i know, overkill..)
    https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B_cBBoZ_PTwOWDJtSC1CazNjM3FIRERrVkExdzFCYzNlUUQw

First run, stock core clock, lowered memclock to 1125 as you can see in GPU-Z.
    20Mh/s ok, fine, not bad.
    https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B_cBBoZ_PTwOQ2VUMzdnX3prUVllMC1GMDFPSDFaQ003Ry1V

Ok, next, lets raise those clocks a bit and see what that does.. 1080, mm wtf, nothing.. You're going to be kidding me, it looks like he might be right... Ok, no worries, lets download Trixx, maybe that'll help :wink: ..
    Crank that core up to 1200, must go up! Yes it must!
    For fucks sake, nothing, lemme open up GPU-Z, ok, clocks set.. but no change in hash rate.. ok, 0.2Mh, but that's nothing.. wtf is going on? This can't be...
    https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B_cBBoZ_PTwOSGtrOVNqeEM1c1JtRmJ6Wlc2UXJuZS02UjV3

Next.. must download other driver, yes, this will solve it! Of course it will!
    No shit, 15.12, nope, 16.1.1, nope, 16.4.1, nope, 16.5.3, nope! This can't be happening!

Is this seriously happening? Been mining for over 2 years, i have over 120 GPU's, i think i almost encountered every possible problem there is. But seriously?

Anyhow, Bitcanuck, my apologies for my earlier discussions, i should have replied differently, i just couldn't believe it, i was so sure that i was right. But it seems (at this moment) that i'm not..

I haven't done any unix tests, i could have, but i was in that stage of almost throwing that card out of the window :tongue: ..

I contacted a few friends of mine about this, i will soon get a decent answer and a possible solution as i still can't believe that this is normal.

Again, my apologies, when i'm wrong, i'm man enough to admit it! In this case, i was wrong :disappointed:

On the other hand, i already put that card up for sale, meanwhile i'll be testing more, maybe if i hang it up side down it'll react different? :lol:

Greetings!
    bitcanuck said:

As I already explained, if you understand computer architecture it wouldn't surprise you. In cards like the R9 290 that have huge memory bandwith, ethash is compute unit limited. In the R9 380, with 28 compute units and only a 256-bit memory bus, ethash is memory limited. Hence, cranking up the memory from 1375 or 1425 to 1500 gives the best performance, and still doesn't tax the compute units.

Well, i understand that, but i didn't suspect it to have such an impact..

i can understand that the impact is small, but that it just didn't move a single inch.. That surprised me.. Kind of blew me of my chair to be honest..
  • QuellwasserQuellwasser Member Posts: 43
    You guys seem to know what you are doing ;) I haven't found much about custom bios mods for my cards, maybe you can help me.
    I have MSI 390x, ASUS 390, Gigabyte Windforce 290x and HD 7990 Cards, all of them are undervolted with MSI Afterburner. Is it worth the hassle to change bios settings with those cards (390 and 290 cards are all around 30 MH/s, HD7990 44 MH/s)?
    Thanks for your help :)
    Hey @Quellwasser

It's not always worth the hassle, it depends on your situation and your needs.

If you're happy like it is. Than i suggest to just leave it as it it :)

Greetings!
    Decided to open source everything. Would have done it before, but didn't really think about doing so.

anyhow, if people are willing to help make it better or just clean up the mess that i made :p haha

here:

https://github.com/Eliovp/Mining-Hardware-Comparison

Greetings!
    Decided to sell this domain. Check Opening Post for info.

Greetings!
  • midoprincemidoprince Member Posts: 198 ✭✭✭
    edited September 2016
    i wish i had some money to buy it
    it would be very profitable for me :)
    we can gofor 1k$ ?