How to create a secure, production private chain?

DanPTurnerDanPTurner Member Posts: 1
There's lots of examples of how to create a private chain for testing purposes but they often come with the disclaimer, "this guide for testing purposes only". Can someone please point me to a step-by-step guide of how to create a proper, secure, private chain? Or steer me in the right direction and I will make a step-by-step guide if no such guide already exists.

What are the implications to the genesis block?
  • Does the nonce need to be cryptographically random?
  • What should the coinbase be?
How do I start the bootstrap node?
  • How do I generate a keypair for the bootstrap node? bootnode -genkey node.key followed by bootnode -nodekey node.key seems to result in -nodekey: unexpected EOF
  • Is bootnode what I want or should I just be using geth with a specific set or arguments?

Ideally what I'm looking to understand is, what key inputs have to be set in what particular way such that the private chain is secure. And what are the series of geth commands to: start a bootstrap node using these secure settings, and what geth commands to run nodes to connect to the bootstrap node?

Comments

• jeffanthonyjeffanthony Dover-Foxcroft, Maine, USAMember Posts: 11
    The nonce should be easy enough to find blocks with whatever hardware will be mining. You do not need a coinbase unless you intend to mine on that machine. I'd love an answer to the second half of your question though. I get the same error.
    How do I start the bootstrap node?
    How do I generate a keypair for the bootstrap node? bootnode -genkey node.key followed by bootnode -nodekey node.key seems to result in -nodekey: unexpected EOF
    Is bootnode what I want or should I just be using geth with a specific set or arguments?