Running private test chain on local netork

Noob question, hoping this is the right place.

So I am trying to run a single private test chain on my local network with two nodes running on two different machines. Have successfully (I think) installed and run geth on a windows, and built and running c++eth on ubuntu. In the geth node I started a chain with a genesis block and have been successfully mining for some time. When I start the eth on the other machine, it seems to start but does not 'see'/peer with the first node and use same chain. Current block stays 0, I have not bothered to try mining on this one.

When I run nodeinfo on both I see they are trying to use the same IP address which seems to be my externally facing address (not static). I am guessing this is at least part of the problem and that I should be trying to override this somehow to use the local machine IPs as assigned by my router. However when I try to set the --public-ip option on eth it throws an error below. And I see no such option on geth anyway. Am I missing something, or completely on the wrong path here?

./eth console --network-id 2323 -C -d /home/mark/chains/777/data/ --public-ip 192.168.1.23 --listen-port 30300
(++)Ethereum
terminate called after throwing an instance of 'boost::exception_detail::clone_impl'
what(): std::exception
Aborted (core dumped)

I also see some options I guess for forcing them to connect using addPeer() enode URIs but I am guessing this won't work because both URIs have same IP included and that needs to be resolved first?

Comments