<

>
hide You are viewing an archived web page, collected at the request of Ethereum Foundation using Archive-It. This page was captured on 01:09:50 May 05, 2021 , and is part of the Community collection. The information on this web page may be out of date. See All versions of this archived page. Loading media information

Problems getting Eth or AlethZero to run

ShaggyShaggy Member Posts: 7
I grabbed the Windows Eth-cpp implementation from GitHub, got everything to compile as instructed. But when I run "eth --frontier - b -i" the cursor goes to the next line in command window but nothing ever displays. I check processes and there is an eth.exe process running with a small memory footprint, it says it is running but never has any processor time indications. I even check the threading and all threads seem to be idle. Looked at the ethernet traffic and is seems no new traffic is happening as I thought maybe it was grabbing the blockchain or something.

I also tried to run the AlethZero program it just shows spinning icon, it never shows any new processes.

Could someone point me in the right direction as to what I maybe doing wrong? I am new to Ethereum and was wanting to experiment with the technology for fun to see how it all works.

This is the repo of code I grabbed from github "https://github.com/ethereum/webthree-umbrella.git"

Shaggy
Post edited by Shaggy on

Comments

• ShaggyShaggy Member Posts: 7
    So after a week of attempting to get this compilation to do something with no success I decided to just remove everything, and noticed even after reboot AlethZero.exe is running and even as admin you are unable to kill the process. And could not remove the exe file that was compiled.

I had to externally mount and remove the file from a safe boot.

Warning I think the code maybe virused or something as I do not think this should have happened. I have no idea what the AlethZero.exe program was doing all week while running in the background without my knowledge and starting back up after reboot but that is something I do not like to see, nothing in the documents says it sets itself up as a startup application. I will probably rebuild my system now because I haven't a clue what happened and not sure what it may have done to my system and no-one here seems to have had any help for me.
    I can't get the precompiled version from here https://github.com/ethereum/webthree-umbrella/releases to run either.

I am just giving up on this whole thing. Thought this whole tech would be cool to learn but with these type of issues and very little help it is just not ready to bother with yet I do not think.
  • auburn_niceauburn_nice RussiaMember Posts: 22
    Maybe it's better to use release (stable, master) versions not the develop ones?
    Thank you for responding, I got an email from another that gave me the link to correct download for the eth and alethzero installer.

It installed fine and runs fine now, even have my first pending 5 ether already.

Still looking up what all these windows in AlethZero mean and how to use everything.

My plan is once I get a few real ether stored up work on some private ether and work on my first dapp to play around. Then to test it in the real world with my real ether.
  • TheIronmanTheIronman FinlandMember Posts: 43 ✭✭
    So were is the latest build?
    I am actually moving my operation to a linux distro.

Seems a lot more support for there and currently looking to move away from NSA/Malware which is called Windows 10.

I plan to use linux as my main OS now and use Windows as a gaming platform. I just hate how they think I am to dumb to manage my own system and will not give me a way to not have it completely controlled by the man.
  • DanGuptaDanGupta NJ USAMember Posts: 5
    Same problem - cannot get AlethZero to startup after an initial successful install on my Mac 10.11.2. Keeps showing the spinning wheel.

This happened when I was following the tutorial on "https://forum.ethereum.org/discussion/1634/tutorial-1-your-first-contract" and once I set the config to use private chain...it went into the loop. Any thoughts?
    DanGupta said:

Same problem - cannot get AlethZero to startup after an initial successful install on my Mac 10.11.2. Keeps showing the spinning wheel.

This happened when I was following the tutorial on "https://forum.ethereum.org/discussion/1634/tutorial-1-your-first-contract" and once I set the config to use private chain...it went into the loop. Any thoughts?

I gave up on the windows installation. A friend did a clean install of windows in a VM and the installation worked and ran fine however. I would check to ensure firewall settings are correct maybe the alethzero app can't detect and report connection issues very well. I am not sure what could possibly cause it to go into the spinning wheel of infinity besides connection based problems, so check firewalls, make sure ISP is not blocking you somehow, router has a firewall up blocking you etc.

I since then migrated to a linux installation and am still in process of going through a build process, I got geth working and cpu mining. I like to use stripped down distros of linux and add what I need so is taking me a bit to recompile all the libraries required to do the full build of AlethZero and EthMiner but hoping to get that finished soon. I did do the Ubuntu installation on my tablet and it worked as expected, but my tablet just doesn't have the processing power to do much mining really so removed it.
  • DanGuptaDanGupta NJ USAMember Posts: 5
    Thanks Shaggy for your suggestions. I've been working on Mac OS X without any firewalls. Will try a windows install now.