hack.ether.camp Project Discussion

ArthurFallsArthurFalls Member Posts: 5
A place to share thoughts on the projects being built for the ether.camp hackathon

Comments

• ArthurFallsArthurFalls Member Posts: 5
    Initial thoughts:

Circles:
    Cool idea, the plausibility of this one succeeding in it's stated goal of creating a minimum basic income for everyone in the world is a big pill to swallow. In my opinion it's merits lie in it's design rational.

Mr. Quint:
    I'd like to see how prediction markets could be presented in a way that children understand.

VentureEquityExchange:
    Always good to see legacy support.

EtherNation:
    Notary services are awesome and a fundamental part of decentralised KYC and identity management so kudos for practical thinking.

Motivate:
    A contract that releases funds when a milestone has been reached. Super simple stuff. Good for a personal trainer to track an athletes day to day performance on the blockchain, good for Tim Ferris to automate management of his army of virtual assistants.

DlabBook:
    Timestamping of lab notes and experiment results is always useful.

EtherReal:
    I'd like to see how the information content of a document such as a passport can be shared in a safe and verifiable fashion. I'd also like to see how this concept could be generalised for use with other identity platforms.

Ethertel:
    Connecting a digital service to a billing contract is an obvious use case. If I could see thought put into productisation I would be impressed.

turbopape:
    I'm not totally sure about this one but it does have an air of mysterious allure.

out-of-band:
    If this "just works" I'd use it.

Rabbit:
    +5% for the use of the word "experimentation"

• JakzillaJakzilla Member Posts: 4
    edited December 2015
    Top two for me so far:

EtherReal sounds interesting if they can deliver something which is actually sufficiently hard to game.

VentureEquityExchange could also be very useful, and they appear to be pretty busy. It's all about the execution after all.
  • romanmromanm Member Posts: 37
    It too early to say , but I don't like
    the idea that Circles just publishing
    his projects and didn't actually came
    to create something.
  • ethereumnickethereumnick Member Posts: 49
    etherRe.al is "my" project. Glad to see it mentioned here, but don't hold your breath for anything working at the end of the camp. Unless we recruit some ninja Ðevs (that's a cry for help) with lots of free time before the deadline (unlike me or the others [though I plan to bunk off work if I can get away with it for the next two days :blush: ] ) there's too much to do and too little time. Our team has one Philosopher, one designer and one Ðev so come and help us if you have the time and skills.
    Join the hack.ether.camp slack and find us in the ether_al channel

@ArthurFalls

EtherReal:
    I'd like to see how the information content of a document such as a passport can be shared in a safe and verifiable fashion. I'd also like to see how this concept could be generalised for use with other identity platforms.

Generalisation is the plan. etherReal is aiming to develop a framework that any other contract could implement or call, whether it be a voting app / reputation system / ÐAO or whatever. If a web3 system needs to know that the users only have one account then etherReal is aiming to be the way to "prove" it.

@Jakzilla
    Jakzilla said:

EtherReal sounds interesting if they can deliver something which is actually sufficiently hard to game.

Always happy to hear how you think the etherre.al system might be gamed. Anyone who is up for cussing it can file an issue on the Etherreal-IÐ docs repo @ GitHub.

P.S. Also happy to hear from anyone who is not a coder but would like to work on branding or thinks they have something useful to add that I know not what of.

Anyway enough of this procrastinating back to http://etherreal.on.ether.camp/ to look busy

• ArthurFallsArthurFalls Member Posts: 5
    thanks @ethereumnick valuable info. I'd like to hear an explanation like that from all the teams
    explaining is my supper power. o:) even if coding is not.
  • rabbitrabbit Member Posts: 15 ✭✭
    edited December 2015
    @ArthurFalls :D I always have my +25% Boots of Experimentation so that brings me up to 30%.

I gave an informal rundown in my hackathon camp IDE. I'm using the hackathon as an excuse for a deadline to get my identity-related work out the door. Everything centers around a graph, coded in solidity, that can be extended with custom logic to address specific problem domains or enforce specific authority schemes. My thinking is that this kind of structure is ideal for working around the limitations a blockchain environment creates, giving a more clear migration path, easier fallback functionality for newer protocols, etc.

My interest in this is to settle on the piece that will serve as the identity layer for GuildSpace, used to describe both accounts and content, and draw the relationships between them. I have no interest in owning anything that should not be individual owned, so all the work I've mentioned is part of a mission called Astro, everything in Astro is automatically public domain, and if there ever becomes an automated/decentralized method for governance I will adopt it so long as the core principles can be reliably protected.

I prefer other camps get the votes but I do want feedback. There are smarter contract writers out there but I can't wait for feedback anymore, just have to start pushing ahead so this is my first push, but I consider every comment carefully so please feel free to reach me on twitter @rabbyte
  • ordoeordoe tehranMember Posts: 132 ✭✭
    May I ask some questions on the IDE?
    • How to increase the gas amount? I'm getting error messages when running contracts that there is not enough gas. Can I do it in ethereum.json? If so, how?
    • Sometimes I get timeout errors on running contracts. What is timing out, the contract, the compilation, the deploying? Are the compiled contracts even deployed yet?
    • Is the IDE for sale? If yes, how much? If yes, also for open source projects?
    • [generating some time]
    • Who could join us over at the #etherre_al team? We need some solidity developers during the weekend before the code freeze hits on sunday evening. I have two kids and can not code on weekends (Nights I use to sleep, really! :D) ... but the idea really needs some more coders to get close to a result!
    Well The-Impermanence-of-Space seems like an ace idea and @Smithgift is as the most dogged coder on in the hack. He is always working!
    QuadraticVoting is a supremely useful system that everyone will want to use if @HCharlanes and the crew can get it right.
    etherre.al is of course my personal favourite, but we are nothing but pretty (thanks to @predrag) with only what @ordoe has been able to pull together for us (Which is EVERYTHING!) in the back end. (thanks @lionaar for plugging in web3)

There are others who are cool too @rabbit and camp out of band but I'm too tired to make sense.
    night.