Doesn't returning STORAGEFEE incentivize overuse?

From the wiki:
STORAGEFEE (5x) - per-byte fee for adding to contract storage. The storage fee is the only fee that is not paid to a miner, and is refunded when storage used by a contract is reduced or removed.

This would seem to incentivize storage use to the possible detriment of the overall system. If I get my STORAGEFEE back at the end, why not use it with abandon? It even might make sense to draw up a contract for the sole purpose of storing Wei in STORAGEFEE, which is not the intended use.

I realize this is all subject to change, but the tx fee structure is definitely breaking new crypto-currency ground and will need to be well thought out for the project to succeed.

Answers

• aatkinaatkin Member Posts: 75 ✭✭
    I think one is still incentivized to use contract storage carefully. Effectively ether is escrowed while storage is used and in most immutable contracts it's gone forever as there's no way to release storage in those.

Also remember that non-authors will be storing things in contracts. I can see your point of view treating it as a physical storage locker with a one time or even monthly perpetual fee for a given storage size.

I see it more as a proof of stake where I put up ether and claim a section of the chain for storage. I think the basefee change mechanism will make all the difference, and if we start seeing movies and other bloat on the chain I'm sure the refund will be rethought.
  • JasperJasper Eindhoven, the NetherlandsMember Posts: 514 ✭✭✭
    I kindah expect the full fee being refunded is a problem too. Any attackers that try use the storage route would keep all their ether, for one. Also, the fees being locked with CPU-related fees those fees way overpriced if increase of fees is a response to attack
  • chris613chris613 Member Posts: 93 ✭✭
    Add another vote against the storage refund. I don't really see the rationale because if anything I would expect storage fees to be recurring. A simple model would be that contracts pay storage fees in each block until their balance is 0. I can see some potential objection to the idea that any contract with storage ticks down until it self-destructs, but it's probably not as catastrophic overall as the perpetual storage + refund which I see as a major problem.
  • rizznrizzn Member Posts: 0
    Seems to me that a partial refund might make sense. What was the thinking, originally, in the refund... to incentivize good stewardship of the storage?
  • rizznrizzn Member Posts: 0
    Seems to me that a partial refund might make sense. What was the thinking, originally, in the refund... to incentivize good stewardship of the storage?