AMD Radeon™ R9 Series Graphics Cards with High-Bandwidth Memory

mgbtcfvmgbtcfv Member Posts: 14
The AMD Radeon™ R9 Fury Series graphics cards (AMD Radeon™ R9 Fury X, R9 Fury and the R9 Nano graphics cards) are the world’s first total solution GPUs with AMD-pioneered High-Bandwidth Memory (HBM) on-chip delivering extreme 4K performance and unbelievably “real” VR experiences.3
http://www.amd.com/en-us/products/graphics/desktop/r9#

Is this better for ETH mining? Does anyone have any experience with this?

Best Answers

Answers

• MrYukonCMrYukonC Member Posts: 627 ✭✭✭
    @Maren85 That is not completely true, yet. However, as time passes it does become more and more true.

What you are forgetting though, is that you can buy cards and then sell them when you are done to recoup a good portion of the cost. No, you won't be able to sell them for what you paid for them, but I would assume you could recoup at least 50% (if not more) of your hardware costs.

So do not forget to factor that in.
  • farwarefarware Member Posts: 116
    edited November 2015
    Maren85 said:

I will next week when I buy one, will give it a blast but it's more for gaming.

It's all a crap shoot anyway, Ethereum was supposed to be CPU only which is what interested me in the first place, then they changed it to cpu and gpu so all the dirty bitcoin kids could get involved now its only a year before they go proof of stake so anyone buying mining cards now doesn't have enough time to get their money back.

Awful, awful planning and going back on what was promised, in other words what they say now cannot be trusted to happen in the future.

Be careful buying cards for mining.

How is that awful planning? CPU only would limit the amount of participants and would increase block time and lower decentralization. How is that awful? If you want Ethereum to succeed you need tons of people, including miners. All those kids you talk about lost interest when ETH dropped to 0.5, they are "weak hands" and will go mine whatever is shiny, ignore them.

Also, last time I read, it may even take more than a year before they switch to PoS. It is believed that they will first focus on wallet and then on making sure dapp development goes forward as expected. With that they have enough on their hands before they need to scale things with PoS. Besides if you buy cards now, you can still get a lot of coins, just depends on how many cards you buy.

On topic: Fury and Nano cards are too expensive, do more research here on the forums there are a lot of better and cheaper cards.
  • Maren85Maren85 Member Posts: 41
    Awesome, like I said I'm getting one for gaming first and mining second. I also like the electric usage on the Nano considering it's performance, I read that the next drivers will allow undervolting which would drop the performance of the card 1%-9% but drop the power usage another 20% so the electric savings will be ridiculous so on a hash to watt ratio I can't see anything getting near the Nano for a long long time.

Going back to what farware said, I'm well aware of the benefits of GPU mining compared to CPU only, my point was that Ethereum was setup to CPU only, for months and months, then right before launch they said oh by the way we arent doing that anymore and are going to allow GPU's.

It's about credibility, changing things like that at the last minute isn't something I care for, how is anyone supposed to plan for the future? You have to be able to take people at their word.

POS is more that a year away as they haven't even added the bomb to slowly increase the difficulty that will eventually make blocks ridiculously difficult to hash, that takes about a year itself.
  • o0ragman0oo0ragman0o Member, Moderator Posts: 1,291 mod
    @Maren85, as you know ethash was designed to be ASIC hard by way of generalised compute algo's. As GPU's, like CPU's, are a general compute architectures there would have been no way to make the POW algo GPU hard just to enforce CPU mining. Someone would have developed a GPU miner regardless. Having an official GPU miner released by the dev team that invented the algo is a lot more sensible and trustworthy than a bunch of 3rd party hackers releasing binaries into a largely code illiterate community.
    @MrYukonC I haven't forgotten to factor it in, I only keep my cards for around a year or so anyway, I look for good cards that I think will hold their value over time and I think the Nano will because of its power saving abilities, sometimes it works brilliantly, sometimes not but good cards keep a lot of value anyway.
  • dlehenkydlehenky Member Posts: 2,249 ✭✭✭✭
    Maren85 said:

@MrYukonC I haven't forgotten to factor it in, I only keep my cards for around a year or so anyway, I look for good cards that I think will hold their value over time and I think the Nano will because of its power saving abilities, sometimes it works brilliantly, sometimes not but good cards keep a lot of value anyway.

Seems like a good strategy, and I agree the Nano price will hold up in the near term. One thing to keep in mind is that the next generation of GPUs from both AMD and nVidia are going to be a *huge* leap forward. Why? Because they are FINALLY going to a state-of-the-art wafer process for the next go'round. They have both been on the 28nm process for *years* and will jump all the way in to the current 14-16 nm process. We should see a dramatic improvement in both performance *and* lower power consumption. I believe they are both shooting for late '16, but you know how that goes :)
    I'd read a few articles about that which is why I wanted to get a card now so I could trade it in to free up some cash in around a years time and upgrade again...Hopefully to some futuristic, monster card.
  • ordoeordoe tehranMember Posts: 132 ✭✭
    edited November 2015
    Don't buy the Nano for mining. If you want it for gaming and mining, go for Fury cards. And even they will be only awailable in reference-only design.

The nano performs very well in gaming because it constantly dynamically reduces core tacting in "game scenes" where not much calculation is required. AMD did a good job to create a very small device with "low" power consumption and "high" performance.

But this is does not go hand in hand: If you have a big challenge for the GPU, lets say you are mining, it will probably burn out the card because 1) it's not designed to go 100% all the time and 2) it has simply awful cooling. I have read about system crashs because in peaks the card draws too much energy. Mining is like a constant peak. The card is simply not designed to reach it's full processing potential.

This said, I have to add, I never tested one, just read the review on a hardware mag which allows me to carefully conclude the Nano is not suitable for mining at all.

The Fury could be, but it's too expensive. I decided to stick with R9 390X stacks for now.
    @ordoe My Nano has been mining 24x7 for over a month now, no problem so far, runs at 68-69C.
    @dlehenky What kind of speeds are you pulling down? New cards will be covered by a warranty etc for less that a year.
    @Maren85 I only have one card. I'm getting the typical 25 MH/s rate. I measured the watt usage on the whole system, with the Nano mining, at 240. Given I'm running an i7 5820K 6-core cpu with 16 GB, I think that's pretty good.
  • auburn_niceauburn_nice RussiaMember Posts: 22
    Btw, what about HMB overclocking results? Some sites reporting about 20% overclock of memory. That should be around 5 Mh/s. Rather good result, don't you think so?
  • dont12dont12 Member Posts: 60
    Getting a 390X will report on the speed