Talkether.org: Open beta release of Ethereum's first mining pool with decentralized mining process

talkethertalkether Member Posts: 18
edited October 2015 in Mining
tl;dr: Talkether.org is Ethereum's first pool with a decentralized mining process. It helps to secure the Ethereum network by decentralizing it again. Miners of talkether.org will most likely have higher mining rewards (up to 20%) compared to other pools due to higher mining efficiency. Feel free to join the talkether.org pool. Further info: www.talkether.org

After an extensive alpha test the talkether.org team is proud to announce that Ethereum's first mining pool with decentralised mining process -talkether.org - opens registration for the whole Ethereum community.

During the alpha test, miners experienced up to 20% higher rewards compared to the pools they used before. This is because there are no mining time losses for getting the work from the pool since each miner of the talkether.org pool gets its work from his local node.

A small java application adjusts the difficulty. The ethminer instance tries to find a solution for this in difficulty reduced work. Once it finds a solution, this solution is sent to the Java application which forwards this solution to the local node and to the talkether.org share server. On the share server the solution is validated and saved. The pool rewards each block and uncle found. Each miner is paid according to its share calculated by the common and fair PPLNS scheme.

On top of that this pool design means that the mining process is decentralized. With the current network hashpower distribution (top 3 pools over 50%) the risk of a 51% attack for example is a real threat to the whole Ethereum network. Therefore, Talkether.org gives the community the possibility to challenge these threats by decentralizing the mining process again.

Furthermore, the talkether.org pool has a built-in failover. Since miners set their user id in the extradata of each block even in the improbable case of a server downtime each miner of a block (identified by the extradata in the block) will get full block reward.

You would like to join the pool in order to increase your mining rewards and decentralize the network again? The registration and set-up process is very easy. Further information can be found here:

For Ubuntu: http://talkether.org/help-ubuntu
For Windows: http://talkether.org/help-windows

Please note that the talkether.org pool is still in beta phase. We will add further pool and user statistics, monitoring functions on server side and cool monitoring and managing features on client side as well. During beta phase the pool fee is 0%. Throughout the beta phase you are encouraged to update regularly your talkether client.

For further infomation check out http://talkether.org, especially the FAQ section: http://talkether.org/faq

Let's start to decentralize the Ethereum network again :)

Cheers! Philipp (PhiStr90)

talkether.org - lets mine together

Comments

• cryptletcryptlet Member Posts: 29
    Just started trying out this pool. Currently working with no problem.

However I tried changing the hashrate in the config.properties file but message says can't submit to server new hashrate.

And yes I know it's in beta.
  • talkethertalkether Member Posts: 18
    cryptlet said:

Just started trying out this pool. Currently working with no problem.

However I tried changing the hashrate in the config.properties file but message says can't submit to server new hashrate.

And yes I know it's in beta.

Hello, thanks for giving us a chance :)

There was a restriction referring the update of the hashrate, which was now taken down. It should work now.
    edited October 2015
    The website has a new look and we have added some cool user statistics and worker monitoring too.
    Check it out: www.talkether.org

The pool hashrate has increased to 11.5GH, tendency still rising. That means that payouts should have low variance and should be steady.
    Payouts are done 2 times per day with a minimum payout of 1ETH. Fee is still 0%

In the talkether client version 0.0.14 we did some minor eth client support bugfixes.

We would be happy to see you on the pool, give it a try and check out if you like most users get higher payouts compared to other pools too.

• dianastadianasta Member Posts: 18
    I started mining on this pool and it looks good :)

Can we have an ETH account balance displayed in the account like other pools do?
  • ordoeordoe tehranMember Posts: 132 ✭✭
    Hi, mind explaining what is decentralized about your pool?
    edited November 2015
    dianasta said:

Can we have an ETH account balance displayed in the account like other pools do?

We are working on that feature.
    ordoe said:

Hi, mind explaining what is decentralized about your pool?

Talkether.org's pool has a decentralized mining process, which is a great step forward for the security of the ethereum network.
    Decentralized mining process means that there is no single point where the decision is made. Every node gets its work from its local node and previous blocks from its peers and it makes its own decision which tx to include and which not.
    Nevertheless it's true that the payout process is still centralized and not trustless. We will put further efforts in developing a trustless payout once the pool is up and running and the Ethereum network starts to decentralize again.
    edited November 2015
    Thanks.
    Post edited by dianasta on
    talkether said:

Talkether.org's pool has a decentralized mining process, which is a great step forward for the security of the ethereum network.
    Decentralized mining process means that there is no single point where the decision is made. Every node gets its work from its local node and previous blocks from its peers and it makes its own decision which tx to include and which not.
    Nevertheless it's true that the payout process is still centralized and not trustless. We will put further efforts in developing a trustless payout once the pool is up and running and the Ethereum network starts to decentralize again.

I like your approach very much already. I understand something similar to P2Pool will be difficult to design for the Ether protocol, but your work looks promising.

It would be great to have a decentralized backend too. Where everyone could contribute it's own pool node to the big picture.
    Just tested. Both my workers are getting the same ID (0) ... how can I fix this?

http://talkether.org/user?userId=06957e1269ca4519a181f24cbee8bf91
    edited November 2015
    But I like your style:

xD
  • xyberxyber Member Posts: 40
    Hi, just started mining in this pool 10 hrs ago.
    May I know when can I expect my payout?
  • farwarefarware Member Posts: 116
    I connected 3 workers .. for some reason the third and smallest is mining but appears as offline / is not submitting work. Is there a problem running a miner on the same machine as the Jar client? Not sure if its related but thats the only difference.

edited November 2015
    xyber said:

Hi, just started mining in this pool 10 hrs ago.
    May I know when can I expect my payout?

Payouts are done around midnight and midday European time. So you should have received 1 payout so far.
    farware said:

I connected 3 workers .. for some reason the third and smallest is mining but appears as offline / is not submitting work. Is there a problem running a miner on the same machine as the Jar client? Not sure if its related but thats the only difference.

All workers together have an average time to find a share block in 60s. If the one worker has far less hashrate than the others than the avg. time of that worker to find a share block is that high that you might have not found a share block by this worker in the past 60minutes.
    Only workers that have found a share block in the past 60min are listed online/warn.
    We are working on that issue.
    ordoe said:

Just tested. Both my workers are getting the same ID (0) ... how can I fix this?

http://talkether.org/user?userId=06957e1269ca4519a181f24cbee8bf91

Sorry have overseen it. Seems like you solved your problem by yourself?
    Please let me know if you need further help.

We are currently working on:
    - more precise user statistics / worker monitoring
    - live user balance
    - precise pool hashrate
    - payment history for each user
    I haven't received my payout yet as of this writing.
    talkether said:

Nope, still have two workers which get merged to a single worker on your homepage. Not sure why.
    xyber said:

I haven't received my payout yet as of this writing.

This pool needs a public balance/share ledger very hard :)
    ordoe said:

talkether said:

Nope, still have two workers which get merged to a single worker on your homepage. Not sure why.
    Did you run those workers on separate ports and set proxy.instances=2 ?
    Do you use talkether-client version 0.0.14?
    talkether said:

ordoe said:

talkether said:

I use 0.0.14. They run on two different instances of talkether proxy. On two different machines.
    ordoe said:

talkether said:

ordoe said:

talkether said:

I use 0.0.14. They run on two different instances of talkether proxy. On two different machines.
    Make sure that you connect your ethminer on two different ports:

one on 8546 and the other one on 8547
    Thanks for the explaination. I got my payout 13 hrs ago.
    edited November 2015
    Hi,

I was getting the following error last night, but now it is back to normal.

2015-11-04 01:52:47 [main] INFO - Starting talkether client..
    2015-11-04 01:52:48 [main] WARN - Error checking version
    org.talkether.client.b.b: StatusCode: 502 - Message:
    at org.talkether.client.b.c.a(SourceFile:2318) ~[client-0.0.14.jar:0.0.14]
    at org.talkether.client.b.c.a(SourceFile:1179) ~[client-0.0.14.jar:0.0.14]
    at org.talkether.client.a.g.a(SourceFile:32) ~[client-0.0.14.jar:0.0.14]
    at org.talkether.client.a.c.a(SourceFile:22) [client-0.0.14.jar:0.0.14]
    at org.talkether.client.application.TalketherClient.h(SourceFile:457) [client-0.0.14.jar:0.0.14]
    at org.talkether.client.application.TalketherClient.main(SourceFile:1116) [client-0.0.14.jar:0.0.14]
    at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke0(Native Method) ~[na:1.8.0_65]
    at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(Unknown Source) ~[na:1.8.0_65]
    at sun.reflect.DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(Unknown Source) ~[na:1.8.0_65]
    at java.lang.reflect.Method.invoke(Unknown Source) ~[na:1.8.0_65]
    at com.simontuffs.onejar.Boot.run(Boot.java:340) [talkether-client.jar:na]
    at com.simontuffs.onejar.Boot.main(Boot.java:166) [talkether-client.jar:na]
    2015-11-04 01:52:48 [main] WARN - Please UPDATE your client (www.talkether.org/download) - new version available.
    2015-11-04 01:52:48 [main] WARN - CLOSING TALKETHER CLIENT - YOU ARE NOT MINING!
    2015-11-04 01:52:48 [Thread-1] INFO - Shutting down Talkether Client..
    2015-11-04 01:52:48 [Thread-1] INFO - ..done

Post edited by dianasta on
  • ciskocisko HollandMember Posts: 35
    I feel like a total newbee on this stuff.

Maybe Talkether could explain some more.

What's the difference me mining om my own and joining a pool like yours?

I tried running the suggested steps but didn't get it fully working.

Where to put the config.properties file? client jar program didn't create it for me.

Where do I get the ethminer.exe program?

What's the difference mining with geth start.miner?
    Hello talkether,

I haven't received any payment over 36 hours now. Could you please check?

Thanks.

Hello talkether,

Not sure what's going on but no payment yet. I will wait a bit more and then I will stop mining in this pool.

• ciskocisko HollandMember Posts: 35
    He hasn't replied on reddit either.
    Ok the pool still running but NOT paying !!
    edited November 2015
    It might depends on our hashrate.
    If your hashrate is around 20MHs, then probably you will get your payout in 2 days.
    This pool will only pay if you reached 1 Ether or more.
    Probably your account hasn't reached 1 Ether yet.
    My hashrate is 100MHs and usually I get over 5 ether a day. Still no pay 3 days later!
    It looks like the client is stuck or broken. No transactions sent for 4 days now.

https://etherchain.org/account/0x22a0fbf89ad1362d74f626436d8c4fc6dc4f0679#txsent