ethpool.org - Predictable solo mining pool

Comments

• CryptuxCryptux Member Posts: 118 ✭✭
    @dr_pra I get around 40-50ms up in the north in "winterfell" lol
  • dlehenkydlehenky Member Posts: 2,249 ✭✭✭✭
    @Cryptux I get 100ms to the US (NA) server from the Pacific Northwest area, so I guess you've got it good.
  • JukeboxJukebox Member Posts: 640 ✭✭✭
    Reporting eu server connection problems. Using Us server.
  • dr_pradr_pra Member Posts: 445 ✭✭✭
    @Jukebox I was able to connect to the EU server just fine. It might be a local connectivity issue on your side.
    dr_pra said:

It might be a local connectivity issue on your side.

Seems to be. My rigs on second location work fine too.
  • ldrapeauldrapeau Member Posts: 89
    edited March 2016
    Hi I have a simple question. I have a fresh install of ubuntu server 14.04 LTS - I have only selected ssh at the install so I can log into the machine. It has 8G RAM and an i5 CPU and has an Asus GTX690-4GD5 card (4G DDR5 onboard) installed, but I did not install any drivers or any other software. I just plug my monitor to the card and it works in a basic text console. I checked you website, if I simply do the following will some ether end up in my account?

curl --output qtminer.tgz http://ethpool.org/qtminer.tgz
    tar zxvf qtminer.tgz
    chmod +x qtminer.sh
    ./qtminer.sh -s us1.ethpool.org:3333 -u 0xae8f3c8d1134e50a7c63c39d78406ab7334149ac.ldrapeau -G

If yes, that's great, if no, can you point me to the missing steps. Thanks, good day.

Post edited by ldrapeau on
  • taz002devtaz002dev 0x26ff3ed5c5025b5a3c288b9139d0396f9de5891fMember Posts: 47
    edited March 2016
    Hi. Using qtminer right now.
    Work is submitted every 2 seconds . Am I doing something wrong. Most other clients submit 0.5s or so. Can I change that?
    The hash rate is still 10% lower than expected so maybe it's this I need to tweak.
    Thanks
    @dr_pra eu1.ethpool.org server problem here too, ethpool.org works fine but no matter what I do, it always show %85-90 of my actual hash power.
    @taz002dev The 2 seconds (and 0.5 seconds) have nothing to do with when the work is submitted. It's simply the interval used to sample the local miners hash rate. Blocks found by the miners are reported immediately.

We need a FAQ on this whole hash rate topic. There are TWO very distinct hash rates you'll see. The one reported by your miner is the actual number of hashes done by the GPU. It has no bearing on blocks mined. The pool (ALL pools) report a hash rate that is calculated using the number of results you have *submitted*. The GPU hash rate does not vary. The "submitted results" hash rate varies considerably, since there is a great deal of variance (for EVERYONE, EVERYWHERE) in the rate at which you actually find results. That's normal. The difficulty is a BIG number, and there are statistical probabilities, and variance, that effect how often you find a result. Sometimes you may find a lot of results in a short period, other times you may not find any for a while, sometimes you'll find exactly what your GPU hash rate indicates you should find. It varies minute to minute, hour to hour, day to day. Get used to it, because it is a reality of *all* crypto-coin mining.
    edited March 2016
    @dlehenky the fun part is I get 10-15% consistently above my actual hash-rate on dwarfpool, latency plays a major role in submitting more shares and that is the shortfall of ETHpool until they sort some server with low latency.
    @Cryptux why do you think that latency causes invalid shares? The pool accepts certain old shares as they can still be turned into uncle rewards. I don't understand why everyone thinks that latency is such an important factor. This is true for other cryptocurrencies where a share is essentially worthless once it is obsole but not for ethereum. Please read about the uncle system of ethereum to get a better understanding about the mining process.

Regarding the hashrate we could adapt the hashrate estimation algorithm to show your local hashrate but it will not change your income!
    @dr_pra on stratum console I can see more submitted shares on a lower latency connection to pool, in this case dwarfpool than ethpool. At the end of the day you are right about income regardless of calculated hash-rate by pool. I just watch how much I make per 24hr on each pool and decide which one works best for my miners.
    Public IP Address of one of your active workers:

For what it used?
    @Cryptux frequency of submitted shares has nothing to do with mining efficiency. It just means that dwarfpool hands out lower difficult shares compared to ethpool. We go for higher diff shares so that your miner spends time hashing and not switching jobs.
    @dr_pra I see that eth-proxy has been updated today. Is it OK for use on ethpool? Looks like a fair number of fixes and improvements.
  • crsminercrsminer Member Posts: 75
    Jukebox said:

Reporting eu server connection problems. Using Us server.

Here too.

When I try to connect to EU server it keeps showing waiting for work... for about 5 minutes (I think) before connecting.

US server connects instantly.
    @dr_pra ye make sense, let me complete my tests and I will report back. If I set --cl-local-work to 256, Does is it give better performance with ethpool ?
    @dr_pra Since I hadn't heard back re: new eth-proxy, I fired it up anyway. It's working fine and does seem to be improved over v 0.04. The 'eth-proxy.conf' file has changed a bit, so minor changes are necessary (very minor).
    Announcement: ethpool.org fully supports version v0.0.5 of eth-proxy. Please use the following servers & ports for your connection:

US: us1.ethpool.org:3333
    EU: eu1.ethpool.org:3333
    Asia: asia1.ethpool.org:3333

It is recommended to keep at least one other pool (e.g. dwarfpool) as a backup pool in case of any unforeseeable issues.

@crsminer I cannot reproduce your issue, on my side eth-proxy connects instantly via both eu and us servers.
    We have identified an issue with eth-proxy in conjunction with our vardiff feature. It looks like eth-proxy does not propagate the new difficulty to the clients which causes them to generate invalid shares. Until this issue is resolved on eth-proxy side we have disabled vardiff for clients connected via the proxy. If you would like to use vardiff please connect using qtMiner or Genoils beta cudaminer.
  • happytreefriendshappytreefriends Member Posts: 537 ✭✭✭
    Hmm.. I was using it for my test for a few days with zero invalid shares and working perfectly fine..
    Although I was running an instance of the stratum-proxy on every mining rig and had it go through that individually.
    It looks like most miners were unaffected luckily. We did what we can do on our side to mitigate the issue, so eth-proxy support should be working fine again.
    @dr_pra I tested on both Dwarfpool and ETHpool and got the same amount of Ethereum with the same hash-rate in timespan of 24hr, even though I prefer low latency pools it did not affect the income. thanks
  • EtheonEtheon Member Posts: 5
    edited March 2016
    hmmm I had an approximate time to next block around 14hours, but suddently it's now 3 days, my hashrate is still the same... (average 52MH), how is that possible?

Edit : Nevermind, it came back to 13Hours... weird!
    @Etheon you were probably disconnected from the pool for a while, enable logging in eth-proxy conf and check it in a-few hours to see if that was the case.
    edited March 2016
    @Etheon the estimation is calculation was a bit inaccurate. It should be much more stable now!

@Cryptux great to hear that both pools are comparable in terms of income, that is how it should be.
    Post edited by dr_pra on
    @dr_pra since you have disabled the vardiff because of proxy issue, the pool shows my hash-rate more accurately and no more issues on eu1 server.
  • ScololScolol Member Posts: 62
    edited March 2016
    My worker has been rename "default" with the new version of eth-proxy.
    and it says : "eth_submitwork from '' " accepted (blank space)
    How do I add a worker name ? The old way doesn't work anymore