ethpool.org - Predictable solo mining pool

Comments

• happytreefriendshappytreefriends Member Posts: 537 ✭✭✭
    Can't mine to it because the stratum proxy can not reconnect to it.

I switched back to solo mining. LOL
  • dlehenkydlehenky Member Posts: 2,249 ✭✭✭✭
    @thesmokingman Wondering that, too. All my rigs are running eth-proxy, and they're all still getting work packages and mining blocks, but who knows if the results are being registered. I had one rig running qtminer, but the connection failed, and now I can reconnect with either qtminer or eth-proxy. Not surprising. I just hope the mined blocks are still registering; hard to say how his mining infrastructure is organized.
  • xyberxyber Member Posts: 40
    Im using proxy too and still on mining mode.
    But I can't access ethpool site at this time.
    It looks like the eu1 server is up and the us1 server might be down.
  • dr_pradr_pra Member Posts: 445 ✭✭✭
    Our hosting provider is having huge issues at the moment. We are in contact with them to get this fixed as soon as possible. Once the service is back up mining will continue with 0% fees! We are sorry for the inconvenience.
    @dr_pra My miners are still getting working and mining blocks???? I'm using eth-proxy.
    No Problem, let us know.
    @happytreefriends Well, eth-proxy failover worked perfectly. I've been mining on dwarfpool since ethpool went down. No happy about being on dwarfpool, but that was the pre-configured failover.
  • EthereumNewsEthereumNews Member Posts: 5
    dr_pra said:

Our hosting provider is having huge issues at the moment. We are in contact with them to get this fixed as soon as possible. Once the service is back up mining will continue with 0% fees! We are sorry for the inconvenience.

Thanks for letting us know! :)
    dlehenky said:

@happytreefriends Well, eth-proxy failover worked perfectly. I've been mining on dwarfpool since ethpool went down. No happy about being on dwarfpool, but that was the pre-configured failover.

why not setup the fail over to solo mine locally?
    @happytreefriends Too optimistic :) I hadn't been running 'geth' on that subnet since I switched to ethpool, so I would have to resync a ways back. No big deal, but when I saw I was still getting work and mining blocks, I figured I'd let it go. I'm surprised the hosting company is taking this long to get it sorted. I thought it would be back up a while ago.
    Unfortunately our hosting provider is having electrical issues that affect both our main & backup server :# We will keep you updated on the situation.
    @dr_pra I just successfully ping'ed the server.
    Our main server is finally back online. As our hosting provider failed to comply with its SLA we expect a compensation payment that we will distribute to our miners. Also mining fee has been reduced to 0% as a compensation measure from our side.

We are again sorry for the inconvenience!
    @dr_pra Thank you! Back up and running!
  • crsminercrsminer Member Posts: 75
    It's down again
    When the stratum proxy says this :
    ......INFO proxy # FAILOVER eth_submitWork by ......
    Does that mean it is still properly sending work to the backup pool? I this case eu.ethpool.org?
    My main is us1.ethpool.org.

TY
  • bbcoinbbcoin Member Posts: 377 ✭✭✭
    edited March 2016
    Looks up again but honestly I can't wait to finish my block and switch to another pool... This is exactly what I was worried about and exactly why pools with multiple payments a day grow much faster.
    The server should be back up again, the hosting provider is still resolving the problem.
    @happytreefriends Yes, at least that's what it meant in my configuration. The failover was dwarfpool. I actually received a payout from them, so I was definitely mining against their pool during the outage. This latest outage seems to have continue the mining activity, but no new connections. When it came back up, I had accumulated credits. I had switch my failover to be ethpool since the last outage, so I didn't move over to dwarfpool this time. Kinda strange.
    @bbcoin Why would multiple payouts matter? if the pool is down, it's down, and you're not earning shares. Ethpool remembered your credits at the time of the outage, and you, and everyone else, came back on, starting exactly where they left off. What's the problem with that?
    edited March 2016
    20 hrs of work stuck on an unreliable server? What if it goes down again in 5min ? What if it will take me another week just to complete the block because it will go down every day?

When a multiple payment pool goes down you risk a round. That's it.
    Oh and that 'beta software use at own risk' banner doesn't spark trust does it?
    @bbcoin The banner is there because the *entire* Frontier phase of Ethereum is BETA. You might want to visit the Ethereum Web site. THEY have the "use at your on risk" declaration prominently displayed on the home page. Do you even know what network you're mining on? The reason the Homestead hard fork is such a big deal is that it's the transition of Ethereum from beta to production. That's why ethpool has the banner. You're mining on a beta network. Get it?
    @bbcoin it is impossible to payout faster, as soon as a block has been found it is immediately paid out, the pool holds essentially no funds. You mistake credits with a balance, credits are only a mean to distribute rewards.

Regarding server stability we did not have any major downtime since several months and use a reputable hosting provider, the incident today was exceptional. If it happens again we will for sure move to another hosting provider.
    dlehenky said:

@bbcoin The banner is there because the *entire* Frontier phase of Ethereum is BETA. You might want to visit the Ethereum Web site. THEY have the "use at your on risk" declaration prominently displayed on the home page. Do you even know what network you're mining on? The reason the Homestead hard fork is such a big deal is that it's the transition of Ethereum from beta to production. That's why ethpool has the banner. You're mining on a beta network. Get it?

Alpha, beta, gamma it doesn't matter reliability is one's commitment. There is a reason why dwarfpool got so big.
    dr_pra said:

@bbcoin it is impossible to payout faster, as soon as a block has been found it is immediately paid out, the pool holds essentially no funds. You mistake credits with a balance, credits are only a mean to distribute rewards.

Regarding server stability we did not have any major downtime since several months and use a reputable hosting provider, the incident today was exceptional. If it happens again we will for sure move to another hosting provider.

I can't blame you for the model. It works fine in theory and gives pretty good rewards BUT
    Your model + unreliable host = pain in the ass for the miners.
    @bbcoin Btw, I'm guessing you aren't using eth-proxy to connect to ethpool, because if you were, you would have automatically failed-over to dwarfpool (that's the configuration file default) and wouldn't have lost any time/shares at all. It worked perfectly for me on all 14 rigs.
    @dr_pra all of the miners have increased invalid shares submission after the fail. What could be the cause?
    edited March 2016
    dlehenky said:

@bbcoin Btw, I'm guessing you aren't using eth-proxy to connect to ethpool, because if you were, you would have automatically failed-over to dwarfpool (that's the configuration file default) and wouldn't have lost any time/shares at all. It worked perfectly for me on all 14 rigs.

I was using proxy on the smaller rig. Big one seems to be more stable with qtminer.
    edited March 2016
    Both miners use the same opencl kernel so there should be no difference in terms of stability.

Very few invalid shares might be caused by the downtime, if it is more than a few it might be related to your miner. Please consider creating a support ticket for such issues in the future. This thread is not for individual support but for discussing the pool in general.