ethpool.org - Predictable solo mining pool

Comments

• dlehenkydlehenky Member Posts: 2,249 ✭✭✭✭
    @Termie The runner up is the miner behind you on the credit list, so he could not possibly have more credits than you, or he wouldn't be behind you.
  • cliptoclipto Member Posts: 2
    Been mining ETH with about 70Mh/s lately.
    What's the best pool for that hashrate, now I am at ethermine.org but would ethpool.org be better?
    Or is my hashrate too low to get anywhere and would the current pool suit me best?
    @clipto Your current pool is better for your hash rate than ethpool.
  • cliptoclipto Member Posts: 2
    Thanks for your quick answer.
    What would the minimal hashrate be to enter this pool?
    @clipto There is no real answer to that. On ethpool, the lower you hash rate, the longer you will wait to get a block (at least 5 ETH). It's a different payout system. At your hash rate, you would wait nearly a week to get a payout, although it would be higher (5 ETH). On ethermine.org, you will receive smaller payouts much more frequently.
  • chrizzochrizzo GermanyMember Posts: 131 ✭✭
    will i get only 5eth? Having a rig with 180M/h, and only 5 ETH on payout? Its better to do solo mining without pool?
    @chrizzo I wouldn't recommend solo at your hash rate. If you had 20 times more hash rate, you might at least consider solo, but even then it would be questionable. A full block reward is 5 ETH, no matter how you mine - that is the Ethereum network reward for a full block. Other than ethpool.org, pools do not pay you for a full block. They pay you for your proportional shares (in most cases) in the blocks the pool as a whole mines.
  • chrizzochrizzo GermanyMember Posts: 131 ✭✭
    edited May 2016
    ok i switched to ethermine.org so maybe i get more coins? i read that ethpool.org is better for rigs or combined power above 1 G/h?
    @chrizzo You'll get as many coins as your hash rate earns.
  • TermieTermie Member Posts: 130
    chrizzo said:

will i get only 5eth? Having a rig with 180M/h, and only 5 ETH on payout? Its better to do solo mining without pool?

@chrizzo you should mine a few days at ethermine (PPLNS) pool, then at ethpool ("solo") pool and afterward just compare the payout results. You "only" get 5 ETH at ethpool, maybe with luck an uncle extra, but the question is, how often. Here is a miner at ethpool with average ~180 MH/s, he gets 5 ETH every 2 - 3 days. Just compare if you get more ETH at ethermine within this period, and your question is solved.
    @Termie The problem with your suggestion is that, over the period your comparing the pools, the network difficult will vary considerably. The DAG changes today, so difficulty will be all over the place for a couple days, then it may jump back high again. That variance, plus the pool luck (effectiveness in finding blocks, which also varies), makes it nearly impossible to do an apples to apples comparison of pools, unless you have two identical rigs, one per pool, and let them run for a week or so.
    Hiho, just get my first block, now credit changed from 12345T to quickly counting up 12345B - what means this "B"? Thanxx.
    @Termie "B" is for billion.
    Thank you. As smaller miner with my ~80 MH/s it seems I can´t become happy neither with ethpool nor ethermine... *sigh* Needed 6 days for my 4.95 ETH block at ethpool. Directly before at Dwarfpool I get 6x 0.86 - 0.92 ETH per day. First test run at ethermine today also looks anything but promising... I guess I go back to Dwarf, it isn´t such bad as many people wrote - at least for smaller miners.
    @Termie It's hard to compare pools the way you are doing it, given the network difficulty is constantly changing, as is the pool "luck" (variance) that occurs, just as it does when you are solo mining. Mining *is* variance. There is nothing constant about it. You could go back to Dwarf and find you're getting no where near the payout you were getting there a few days ago.
  • ImAMiner?ImAMiner? Member Posts: 208 ✭✭
    Termie said:

Thank you. As smaller miner with my ~80 MH/s it seems I can´t become happy neither with ethpool nor ethermine... *sigh* Needed 6 days for my 4.95 ETH block at ethpool. Directly before at Dwarfpool I get 6x 0.86 - 0.92 ETH per day. First test run at ethermine today also looks anything but promising... I guess I go back to Dwarf, it isn´t such bad as many people wrote - at least for smaller miners.

Keep in mind Dwarf is PPS and ethermine is PPLNS. Dwarf pays you per the number of shares you submit every hour and your rewards at ethermine will take a while to catch up. Both should pay you relatively the same over a longer period of time. It has been my experience that different pools work better for different miners. There are a lot of variables to consider, latency being an important one.

• dr_pradr_pra Member Posts: 445 ✭✭✭
    Today we put in place a new system in regards to stale shares. Compared to bitcoin stale shares are not worthless with Ethereum as they can still be used to create an Uncle and receive up to 75% of a full block reward. Up to now we credited stale shares similar to normal shares. As we see miners optimizing their GPU utilization by longer kernel run times we also see the rate of stale shares increasing on the pool. This forces us to credit stale shares now differently compared to normal shares. The average uncle reward is ~3.28 Ether which corresponds to ~65% of a full block reward. Therefore stale shares are from now on worth 65% of the credits of a normal share.

We also added global and per worker based statistics on stale share in your account status page.

We believe that this change will lead to a fairer distribution of the mining rewards in the pool as it rewards submitted work in close relation to the actual value of the work.
    We will soon be updating our individual miner statistics page. Before making the old version obsolete we would like to gather feedback on the new page.

Please have a look on the following examples or try your own address:
    http://ethpool.org/miners_new/213d026a8676a8d9ee88060b20f4d002a7937023
    http://ethpool.org/miners_new/CAf2E72C5DB868CF77008B00CE3037808063f494
    http://ethpool.org/miners_new/520a7f1fac51f0c443fb8bec03819c14b1800351

If you have any suggestions on how to improve the new page or find any bugs please let us know.

Thanks & happy mining!
    @dr_pra Like it!!!! This has always been a curiosity to me, but would it be possible to indicate how many shares actually resulted in finding a network block?
    edited May 2016
    You mean block luck? This would more be a global pool indicator in my opinion.
    edited May 2016
    @dr_pra No, I mean among all the shares submitted on the pool, some solve the network diff and result in the pool receiving a block, correct? It would be interesting to know if/when any share you, the individual miner, submitted actually found a block for the pool. Maybe I'm misunderstand how a pool works?
  • ImAMiner?ImAMiner? Member Posts: 208 ✭✭
    dr_pra said:

Today we put in place a new system in regards to stale shares. Compared to bitcoin stale shares are not worthless with Ethereum as they can still be used to create an Uncle and receive up to 75% of a full block reward. Up to now we credited stale shares similar to normal shares. As we see miners optimizing their GPU utilization by longer kernel run times we also see the rate of stale shares increasing on the pool. This forces us to credit stale shares now differently compared to normal shares. The average uncle reward is ~3.28 Ether which corresponds to ~65% of a full block reward. Therefore stale shares are from now on worth 65% of the credits of a normal share.

We also added global and per worker based statistics on stale share in your account status page.

We believe that this change will lead to a fairer distribution of the mining rewards in the pool as it rewards submitted work in close relation to the actual value of the work.

Have you seen stale shares solve a block or just uncles? miningpoolhub has said that he has seen stale shares solve a full block and not just an uncle. If that is the case then maybe 65% is too low. I guess the question is, does a stale share have a lower percentage of solving a block or uncle than a non-stale does? If not, then maybe a stale share should be counted the same as a full share.
    Not sure that is possible. The only way I can think of is that due to a chain reorganization an uncle might get promoted to a full block?! I will inquire with the Ethereum devs about this. But I assume the probability is quite low.
  • workwork Member Posts: 2,084 ✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2016
    @dr_pra It is my understanding that if a "stale" block has a smaller ethash value (larger difficulty), it can replace a lower difficulty block found previously at the same height.
    @work but the logic should work both ways, meaning that "valid" share can also only end up as an uncle. I think both effect should eliminate itself over the long run thus we can leave this situation out of the calculation.
  • citronickcitronick Member Posts: 110
    looks like asia1 node went down ..... but its back online now.
    @bitcanuck Your personal attacks are totally uncalled for and inappropriate for this forum.
    @dr_pra Looks like the pool was having trouble on at least us1 for about an hour. Shares were being submitted, but no accepts or rejects were coming back. My effective hash rate on all my rigs dropped at the same time, about 20% total. Very long eth-proxy stratum protocol times.
  • bctopicsbctopics Member Posts: 333 ✭✭
    dlehenky said:

@dr_pra Looks like the pool was having trouble on at least us1 for about an hour. Shares were being submitted, but no accepts or rejects were coming back. My effective hash rate on all my rigs dropped at the same time, about 20% total. Very long eth-proxy stratum protocol times.

Same, I went ahead and pulled my rigs to a different pool until this is fixed.
    @dlehenky @bctopics Thanks for reporting the issue. Can you please send me the log of your local miner during the concerned period. During the period we recorded a higher amount of stale shares from your miners which indicates a network delay somewhere in the pipeline. Did you by any chance ping the server during that time?