ethpool.org - Predictable solo mining pool

Comments

• dlehenkydlehenky Member Posts: 2,249 ✭✭✭✭
    Hawaii time, I hope :)
  • bbcoinbbcoin Member Posts: 377 ✭✭✭
    edited March 2016
    dr_pra said:

While it is unfortunate to experience the same issue twice during a day we were now able to locate the root cause of the problem and eliminate it.

Additionally we have integrated this issue in our pool monitoring system so that we are getting immediately notified in case of any mining issues.

In order to compensate you for those problems we have reduced the pool fee to 0%!

We will continue to monitor the situation closely and are sorry for the inconvenience.

BTW: Please create a support ticket in case of such issues, this will allow us to react faster.

Tango down again, 502 bad gateway :) This brings up another question. How are we supposed to open a support ticket if the entire website is down :)

Please get some more processing power 502 means you are overloaded.
    All this is not terribly surprising given the number of additions and improvements (new regional servers, for instance) that ethpool has made very rapidly in the last week. And the pool hash rate has doubled in the last 2 weeks. That's going to cause some issues; it would be a miracle if it didn't.
  • bbcoinbbcoin Member Posts: 377 ✭✭✭
    edited March 2016
    @dr_pra
    IP of your main page and us1 server is the same.
    That means every person simply visitng your website adds bandwith to whatever people are sending via us1.

Try and get separate server for us1 and keep the main site isolated.
    That way a whole bunch of people viewing the website won't DDOS your entire pool.

I assume your entire config is stored on that US ip therefore when ethpool.org crashes all the others go down with it.

Hopefully any of this will help ;)

0x962433512b97659ec13ecd6a10f9e79eceb54638

If you got any questions hit me up.

• etheadethead Member Posts: 15
    BTW: Please create a support ticket in case of such issues, this will allow us to react faster.
    @dr_pra Difficult to know where to create a support issue when the website is down. For everyone else's future reference, the ethpool support system is on freshdesk:

https://ethpool.freshdesk.com/support/home
  • dr_pradr_pra Member Posts: 445 ✭✭✭
    edited March 2016
    @bbcoin thanks for your input. In fact the pool was/is under a heavy DDOS attack which it was able to sustain quite well given its size.

The server is powerful enough to easily handle several thousand users under normal operation conditions.
    edited March 2016
    Why, oh why, do people get joy from something like a DDOS attack. What does it accomplish. What a waste. Glad to see the pool is keeping the attack at bay!
  • bvribvri Member Posts: 8
    edited March 2016
    Hi Guys,

I have a super-fast optic fiber connection and amazing quality internet here where the mining rig is present. I am mining on the ethpool.org (EU based server) with 3 x MSI R9 390X, without any overcloaking, any specific parameters to increase the MH/s I generate with QTminer around 85 MH/s, which i think is a tragedy compared to other options. But the main concern is that after mining continuesly on ethpool.org Eu server, my avarage speed is around 75 MH/s. WTF, can somebody please explain me? Thank you very much. PS Invalid share ratio is only around 0,5% on average for all rounds.
    dr_pra said:

@bbcoin thanks for your input. In fact the pool was/is under a heavy DDOS attack which it was able to sustain quite well given its size.

The server is powerful enough to easily handle several thousand users under normal operation conditions.

What about https://www.cloudflare.com/ Have you considered this option?
  • CryptuxCryptux Member Posts: 118 ✭✭
    @bvri your average hash rate calculated based on your share submission. so I would say you are on the optimal side.
    @bvri yeah we are currently evaluating the best way to integrate cloudflare to our existing infrastructure.
  • AktarusAktarus Planet EarthMember Posts: 15
    @dr_pra

Although the average hashrate over 24 hours seems to be consistent, there are big difference in reported short term hashrate. Could you please give us some explanations why the pool reports such big differences? My rig is a dedicated machine with nothing else running than qtminer, my Internet connection is stable, so why are there such differences?

• happytreefriendshappytreefriends Member Posts: 537 ✭✭✭
    'Luck' . Your speed is calculated using your actual submitted shares (Supposedly). At that time your rig(s) were just submitting slower than usual.
    @Aktarus If you were mining solo, even with a huge rig, and you plotted you block mining rate over time, do you actually think it would be a flat line? If you do, you are mistaken, and you would clearly show that you do not really understand how all this mining stuff works. In a word, it's all about probability and variance.
  • ldrapeauldrapeau Member Posts: 89
    Hi, finally got my i7-920 9G R9 280x ubuntu 14.04.4 desktop running with qtminner, I have tweked a bit with aticonfig but moving the core to 1184 from the standard 1030. The command I entered is;

aticonfig --odsc=1184,1500

I used aticonfig --odgt to get the temperature, it did not seem to move that much, it's arounf 79C.

I would like to have anyone's opinion on adding a second card in my rig, I'm thinking of a R9 270X, would that be an issue if it only has 2G comared to 3G for my 280x? Thanks, Louis
    I guess it must be "good friday". Everything's purring right along today! :)
    ethpool's hash rate has been rising steadily for awhile now. When I started mining on it a little over 2 weeks ago, it was 58 GH, today it's up to 126 GH, with over 600 miners! I think adding the EU and Asia servers really helped a lot more people gain access.
  • adasebadaseb Member Posts: 1,043 ✭✭✭
    This is a good pool but many can't use it because the email monitoring isn't working.
    edited March 2016
    @adaseb Really? I have received email alters for two different rigs a couple of days ago. You do realize you need to set it up in your pool Account Settings, right?
  • adasebadaseb Member Posts: 1,043 ✭✭✭
    dlehenky said:

@adaseb Really? I have received email alters for two different rigs a couple of days ago. You do realize you need to set it up in your pool Account Settings, right?

Yes I set it up there.

Maybe it worked a few days ago but in the last 24 hours it didn't.

Maybe its because I have email monitoring enabled in the eth-proxy.conf file which I used for Dwarfpool. And there is some confusion going on.

Really wish they would fix this issue because my miners crash randomly.
    @adaseb You should really submit a support ticket. They will definitely respond to your problem, in one way or another, in less than a day.
    mining stopped on ethpool - not getting any work packages (waiting..), anyone mining via qtminer on ethpool.org and getting similar issue(s)?
    edited March 2016
    No problem here. I'm on us1. I'm using eth-proxy.
  • davidavi NetherlandsMember Posts: 67
    @bvri qtminer on eu1, no problem...
  • Bensam123Bensam123 Member Posts: 62
    DDoS's are happening as it drives users away from the pool else where, deters them from mining Eth, and possibly bring the whole pool down which reduces difficulty and increases income for whatever pools are still up.
    @Bensam123 That's why all the larger pools, like ethpool, have DDoS protection in place.
  • zorvalthzorvalth Member Posts: 174
    @dr_pra All files from the faq are gone. qtminer, proxy...
    @zorvalth Really? I just looked at them after your post.
  • zorvalthzorvalth Member Posts: 174
    dlehenky said:

@zorvalth Really? I just looked at them after your post.