Ethereum max coins limit ?

I heard that ethereum does not have any coins limit, but i have also heard that mining will be end in about year after abandon proof of work? Can somone explain how many coins will exists in ethereum network, and if and when proof of work will be ended ?

I was trying to find some informations, but only thing i have found was bitcointalk thread claims that ethereum is scam :smile: and coins limit can be changed any time

Comments

• ethereumpoolethereumpool Member Posts: 108
    Nobody knows :D ?
  • ethereumnickethereumnick Member Posts: 49
    Don't think of Ether as a "coin" or money or even as "currency" (though it is technically that). The problem with the ideas that Ether is a "Coin" or "Money" is that we have too many Capitalist notions relating to speculation, profit and control of the surplus bound up with those terms. If you keep to thinking of Ether as fuel is't fare more productive because the USE value is the main reason to buy fuel. You stick Gas in you car to get somewhere and if getting you somewhere is "worth" the gas then you pay the bill, if not you don’t travel. And as for the Miners who get the fuel out of the ground, their motives are to make money in the current system but if you could make your won Petrol to get about but to do so you had to ride share, would you do it? I would.

Philosophically the use of Ether as a "Gas" - commodity is what Ethereum is aiming for. The structure of the "Market" for Gas will be to prevent DoS attacks (e.g. creating infinite while loops) and encourage tight (computationally compact) code. What Ether needs to do is make it just expensive enough to restrain "bad" activity and just cheep enough to make it permit "rental" of computational cycles on the Ethereum singleton virtual machine.

Supply and demandspeculation would be detrimental to the operation of the machine if too tight or it's maintenance if too loose. Expecting this to be just right first time is a tall order; after all economics is not a science (yet), it is a set of competing presuppositions and beliefs about their "meaning". Read this article about Proof of stake if you want a decent analyses of what the method of protecting the processing power of the network is aiming to be.