Ethereum Alarm Clock - call scheduling for contracts

I'm proud to announce the launch of the Ethereum Alarm Clock service.

http://www.ethereum-alarm-clock.com/

The Alarm service facilitates scheduling contract function calls for a specified block number in the future. The current release should be considered alpha software.

* Schedule contract function calls to be executed at a specified block in the future.
* Trustless. No administrative API's or special access granted to anyone, including myself.
* Published verifiable source code.
* Lots of documentation with examples.

I'm very interested to hear people's feedback. Feel free to send me a message at pipermerriam on gitter.

Comments

• vickZZvickZZ Member Posts: 1
    @pipermerriam: Although your Alarm Clock works, I think this is not a real no-trust service, since in any case you need a third party to execute the scheduled call. It'd be awesome to have embedded in ehtereum a mechanism to schedule transaction. I think that the problem is that the EVM would have to have a mechanism to check time and I think this would require gas expenditure.
  • ethereumnickethereumnick Member Posts: 49
    tjade273 said:

As long as there are people who want Ether, someone will execute the call, who that is, however, is not important. All you are trusting is that people in the future will want money.

Isn't that
    "All you are trusting is that people in the future will want money and won't be advantaged by reporting the wrong time, and won't have their clocks wrong?" Or will there be proof of stake to those answering the call?
  • pipermerriampipermerriam Member Posts: 10
    If we want to go down the rabbit hole.

You are trusting that your ethereum node is doing the right thing.
    You are trusting that the Ethereum Spec is correct.
    You are trusting that the network won't be taken down by a denial of service attack during the call window.
    You are trusting that the solidity compiler isn't doing something unwanted or undesired.

There are lots of layers of trust that we take for granted and the term trustless is a bit loaded. The service is trustless in that it does not rely on any centralized or trusted service. It relies on a proper incentive system that hopes to motivate rational actors to make the function call on your behalf.