Comparing Swarm to StorJ, Maidsafe, IPFS, ERIS

mgbtcfvmgbtcfv Member Posts: 14
I am confused with all these distributed storage protocols. How does Swarm differ from all the others? Is one better than the other? I heard IPFS is a transport layer - does it mean it is quite different from Swarm?

Comments

• ILethereumILethereum Member Posts: 34
    Good question.
  • CarlWillhelmCarlWillhelm Member Posts: 20
    would like to know that too :#
  • 21xhipster21xhipster Milky WayMember Posts: 15 ✭✭
    IPFS is just a protocol like http. It is unmotivated (don't have tokens).
    Eris is permissioned blockchain thing and use IPFS underneath.
    Storj, SAFE Network (MaidSafe is just a team like Eth\Dev), Sia and Filecoin are motivated storage networks with different underlying protocols and design decisions.
    The most interesting thing that I don't know nothing about Swarm. Do you?
  • hangabershangabers Member Posts: 63
    Swarm is an organizational idea. A philosophical structure.
    Both Maid safe and Ethereum are within the realm of what swarm is.

Maid Safe is a decentralized trustless platform that can reach consensus without everyone needing to have a copy of the lager.

If Ethereum is a swarm federation, then MaidSafe is swarm nation of swarm tribes.

In other words, a federated network of mini independent consensus teams decide on their own, but they are limited in what they can do based on the decisions made around them.

Ethereum a singular swarm of activity where people organize themselves, but consensus is reached by everyone.

That relationship model of course.

Technically speaking they are very different and similar.

Hopefully that helps a little.

PM me if there is further confusion.
  • intrepidintrepid Hong kongMember Posts: 13
    If anyone can also include "enigma" @hangabers http://enigma.media.mit.edu into this I would be grateful. I'm very interested in these products however my technical language abilities is low, for me things seem to click when someone describes a use case as opposed to how it literally works. the comment above was like a paradigm shift for me, so thanks
  • hangabershangabers Member Posts: 63
    Enigma is another cryptographic decentralized platform, but where maidsafe is meant for storage at it's base, and ethereum for being a programable network, enigma is designed for encrypted computation at it's base. But remember, computation or storage could be built as a DAO Dapp on top of Ethereum. It's just a matter of what perspective you wish to take. A lot of people argue it all could built on top of Bitcoin using sidechains. If you would like some additional help direct message me.
  • nofishnofish Member Posts: 1
    Another similar project focused on dynamic, multi-user web pages: http://zeronet.io
  • hizia18hizia18 Member Posts: 10
    I have recently discovered some blockchain based storage technologies like Storj and Sia. I have vaguely understood that they rely on their own blockchain with their own cryptocurrency. But why are they not relying on preexisting blockchains like ethereum which are designed to be multipurpose ? What are their exact working principle ? Indeed up to now I was under the impression that storing data on a blockchain is very costly.
    ShowBox Tutuapp Mobdro
  • jamesthomas11jamesthomas11 Member Posts: 2
    Similarities
    Swarm and IPFS both offer comprehensive solutions for efficient decentralised storage layer for the next generation internet. Both high level goals and technology used are very similar...

As a result both are in principle ideally suited for replacing the data layer of the current broken internet and serve as storage layers for the web3 vision with the usual must-have properties of distributed document storage:
    • low-latency retrieval
    • efficient auto-scaling (content caching)
    • reliable, fault-tolerant operation, resistent to node's disconnections, intermittent availability
    • zero-downtime
    • censorship-resistant
    • potentially permanent versioned archive of content
    Differences
    He classifies differences under:
    • (A) development status/popularity/user base
    • (B) philosophical/ethical/political
    • (C) lower-level technicalities
    Redards, redbox tv
  • jamesthomas11jamesthomas11 Member Posts: 2
    Good question.
    Would like to know that too :smile: