Every single operation is simultaneously executed by every full node. Really!?!?

flashgormanflashgorman Member Posts: 2
According to the Ethereum Development Tutorial:
One important aspect of the way the EVM works is that every single operation that is executed inside the EVM is actually simultaneously executed by every full node.
I just want to confirm I read that right.

Comments

• Marvell9Marvell9 Member Posts: 593 ✭✭✭
    Its not a problem right now , but as daps and contact numbers increase what I sure hope they have some ideas regarding efficiency improvems and maybe a way to send the operations to a bunch random nodes instead of all.
  • ryepdxryepdx Member Posts: 13
    edited September 2015
    Sidechains in Ethereum might be a good solution for this, to be honest. There are certainly systems that won't need the whole network to verify everything that goes on within them. Local governance contracts, for example, could do quite well with a subset of trusted keys signing off on everything. The only time it would need to communicate with the Ethereum blockchain is if it needed to transfer ether somewhere, add or remove trusted keys, or journal its state to the blockchain. One could effectively do this right now with a distributed off-blockchain application and a simple smart contract.

Honestly, this is basically what Eris Industries seems to be working on. And since the distributed portions of your distributed application would already be written to run in the EVM, with just a little planning ahead you could make potential migrations onto and off of the Ethereum blockchain trivially easy.
  • robmyersrobmyers Member Posts: 65 ✭✭✭
    Yes. It's for security and public accountability. Making it less secure wouldn't be a good idea.
  • sillytunasillytuna Member Posts: 38 ✭✭
    There are a few thoughts on scaling if we start to hit CPU limits. Both Gavin and Vitalik have posted on the blog about it, e.g. https://blog.ethereum.org/2015/04/05/blockchain-scalability-chain-fibers-redux/
  • nsubrahmnsubrahm Member Posts: 4
    While efficiency is a concern, how about the software versions of every full node? Will the EVM be consistent across all the 'full nodes'?
  • mdeadymdeady IrelandMember Posts: 11
    @flashgorman what i understand is that that is how cryptographic blockchains are able to work at all: everyone must come to consensus on the contents of a block.