Why multiple clients?

RolandRoland South Tyrol, ItalyMember Posts: 26 ✭✭
Probably I could come up with reasons for my self like, guaranteeing not to let creep in errors that become defacto standard, but lets see what the project team has in mind.

Comments

• StephanTualStephanTual London, EnglandMember, Moderator Posts: 1,282 mod
    More options = better.

In practical terms, not everyone is comfortable with say, C++, and having a Python version helps bring the community to develop, iterate and fork.

As a python/node guy myself I'm very pleased the team is going for a 'technology agnostic' approach.

Another way to think about it (it's true for me at least) is that if you can study the reference client in a language you are comfortable with, you're far more likely to go ahead and developer other projects (DACs, wallets, etc) than if you couldn't.
  • RolandRoland South Tyrol, ItalyMember Posts: 26 ✭✭
    edited February 2014
    The challenge is to spec it out enough in detail so that all the clients won't create a hard fork eventually. Or you have enough and equally distributed clients that a fork won't matter. Hart to see this though.
    I agree that ethereum will be more stable as a codebase than bitcoin given its platform character in the long run. But interesting challenge. For sure you are planning a compatibility test suite for all these projects out there.