Ether Distribution Facts/Statistics

PatelPatel Member Posts: 3
Hello,

Where can I find info on Ether distribution?

How much Ether will be created?
How much Ether is out there?
Was there any premine or hidden premine?
How much Ether is allocated to devs?
How fast will it be mined?

Where can I find answers to questions like this?

Comments

• PatelPatel Member Posts: 3
    BTC reward to first person who posts this info accurately
  • PatelPatel Member Posts: 3
    Anyone? This is the Ethereum forum right?
  • mtbitcoinmtbitcoin Member Posts: 40
    Block explorers are a starting point http://etherscan.io/stats/supply

The are other stats and charts which should give you an overview of what is currently happening on the ethereum network
  • oliverkxoliverkx Member Posts: 85
    To give you an idea, you can divide the amount of Ether mined since genesis (932,197 at time of this post) by the number of blocks mined (184.514 at time of this post), to get the current average increase in Ether per block (about 5.05 E/B). That's 5 Ethers per block, plus some Ethers for the occasional uncle.

Since the target average block time is 15 seconds, the expected Ethers mined per year would be:
    5.05 x 365 x 24 x 60 x 4 = 10,617,120 Ether / year.

(please anyone correct me if I goofed on the numbers!)

There is also an expected attrition rate - i.e. Ether that is lost due to lost passwords, people dying, balances smaller than the transaction fee, etc. This attrition rate is going to be tricky to predict, and probably impossible to verify though...
  • zondiczondic Member Posts: 2
    I heard it through the grapevine that the POS change will come much sooner than expected and that the cap will be limited to the max 90-100 million ethers. Can somebody confirm this?

If this is not true, what will be the max supply?
    Thanks
  • HeisenTradeHeisenTrade Member Posts: 51
    oliverkx said:

To give you an idea, you can divide the amount of Ether mined since genesis (932,197 at time of this post) by the number of blocks mined (184.514 at time of this post), to get the current average increase in Ether per block (about 5.05 E/B). That's 5 Ethers per block, plus some Ethers for the occasional uncle.

Since the target average block time is 15 seconds, the expected Ethers mined per year would be:
    5.05 x 365 x 24 x 60 x 4 = 10,617,120 Ether / year.

(please anyone correct me if I goofed on the numbers!)

There is also an expected attrition rate - i.e. Ether that is lost due to lost passwords, people dying, balances smaller than the transaction fee, etc. This attrition rate is going to be tricky to predict, and probably impossible to verify though...

dont forget all those people who mined to the 0x0 address at launch. that destroyed a LOT of blocks ;)
  • oliverkxoliverkx Member Posts: 85
    I have no idea when POS is going to replace POW, but I always thought that POS was going to result in a steady inflation rate - i.e. increase the total supply by x% every year.

Does anyone have more accurate and/or specific info on this?
  • zondiczondic Member Posts: 2
    edited September 2015
    oliverkx said:

I have no idea when POS is going to replace POW, but I always thought that POS was going to result in a steady inflation rate - i.e. increase the total supply by x% every year.

Does anyone have more accurate and/or specific info on this?

Yes, I guess that the POS change is a done deal, the latest 16 months from now. Here is the source:

https://blog.ethereum.org/2015/08/04/ethereum-protocol-update-1/

Scroll down to DIFFICULTY ADJUSTMENT SCHEME.

Also, I have read yesterday, I can't find the post that Vlad and Vitalik (this is where they have difference in opinions and still have to reach the consensus) have difference in opinions.

Vlad wants 0 inflation rate which would cap total supply at about 90 million of ethers, Vitalik leans toward 2% of inflation yearly which is not much at all.

If you ask me, this is a game changer for Ethereum price and this should propel the price high up. This might make actually Ethereum scarce!