Geth Upgrade/Security Alert "error at block 116522"

rebelexplorerrebelexplorer London, EnglandMember Posts: 16
Okay, I'd love to upgrade as advised here, but not sure how to go about it. I installed using this guide: https://ethereum.org/cli for Ubuntu. I used this command: Geth: bash <(curl https://install-eth.ethereum.org -L)</code> to install. Can anyone help me figure out how to upgrade? When I go to this site I'm not sure what or how to download. I guess it depends on how I originally installed Geth. -Humbly yours and forever grateful for any direction here. Nick.

Comments

• StephanTualStephanTual London, EnglandMember, Moderator Posts: 1,282 mod
    Hi RebelExplorer, try running that script again and let us know how you get on (ie, if the version bumped). Cheers!
  • rebelexplorerrebelexplorer London, EnglandMember Posts: 16
    edited August 2015
    Thanks @StephanTual ! I think that worked as I"m not getting the error anymore. Another question: I bought some Ether through ShapeShift yesterday and sent the it to my Ether account (before today's upgrade); however, it's still showing 0 as my balance. Do I need to wait for things to update on my system before I see them in my account?
  • ledgerwatchledgerwatch Member Posts: 57
    @rebelexplorer Your ether balance should normally be independent from the setup of your system. The easiest way to check your balance is to go to https://etherchain.org, paste your account number into the search box and click "Search". You should see your balance and also incoming/outgoing transactions
    edited August 2015
    Thanks @ledgerwatch =) Unfortunately, I'm having trouble checking my balance on my system. Also @StephanTual , I don't think the update actually worked contrary to my previous comment. Now when I run geth console I get:
    I0828 15:50:12.384098 4833 chain_manager.go:661] imported 1 block(s) (0 queued 0 ignored) including 0 txs in 8.22594ms. #157367 [27bbcfa0 / 27bbcfa0]
    I0828 15:50:41.848716 4833 chain_manager.go:661] imported 1 block(s) (0 queued 0 ignored) including 0 txs in 9.732899ms. #157368 [2dca6892 / 2dca6892]
    . This just repeats but always says 0 queued and 0 ignored. I also see that it says
    instance: Geth/v1.1.0/linux/go1.4.2
    **UPDATE - So, now I can see my account balance on my system... woo hoo!; however, how do I know if the update went well?
    4833 chain_manager.go:661]
    means that I'm waaay behind right?
    Post edited by rebelexplorer on
  • ledgerwatchledgerwatch Member Posts: 57
    @rebelexplorer Your geth output looks fine to me. It is just importing the blocks as they get produced. You can try to separate console from the output. Try to run one instance of "geth" without "console", then start another one with "get attach". The second one should just have the console, and the first one - the log file. Then you can query your account balance in the second one by typing:
    eth.accounts
    That should should list of your accounts
    eth.getBalance(eth.accounts[0])
    That should show the balance of your first account
    @ledgerwatch Just as you replied I figured it all out. It's working fine. Thanks a million