What do you want in a pool?

doge94doge94 Member Posts: 25
Hello I am the dev behind http://weipool.org. We worked out all the basic kinks in the code and are looking for the features that you, the miners want in a pool.

We already have the share engine working really well (note how we find more blocks than alphapool despite them reporting a higher hashrate on their site)http://i.imgur.com/9C0lKS5.png. So let me know what you want added! Or what would convince you to switch to our pool. (graphs, more stats, etc.) If you're in Europe, please let us know if you'd like a Euro server!

PS. We recently changed the way shares are processed so they are more fair. If you had bad payouts before please try us again.


Link to reddit discussion.

Comments

  • jacobjacob Member Posts: 39
    edited August 2015
    How much would it cost to open-source your code?

    The most thing I want is an open-source pool.
  • doge94doge94 Member Posts: 25
    jacob said:

    How much would it cost to open-source your code?

    The most thing I want is an open-source pool.

    I don't feel comfortable releasing the source without at least testing the code under load. I have talked about this before https://www.reddit.com/r/ethereum/comments/3ia4x6/weipoolorg_0_lifetime_fee_on_registration_and/.
  • crsminercrsminer Member Posts: 75
    @doge94

    Not necessarily in this order, just a few of the things I would like to see:

    1. Customizable average speed graph. Dropdown menu so we can choose 5m, 1hr, 6hr etc;
    2. In general, more stats/graphs;
    3. Profitability calculator;
    4. When you click on wallet address - go directly to etherchain to check balance and everything (nanopool has it), or maybe get balance directly on account page;
    5. Playstore app/widget;
    6. FAQ & Info about mining, maybe links to most up to date miners (official, Genoil etc);
    7. Fixed hour payments.

    You seem to really want to make a good pool, I will try it next week with one of my rigs.

    Keep up the good work!
  • doge94doge94 Member Posts: 25
    edited August 2015
    crsminer said:

    @doge94

    Not necessarily in this order, just a few of the things I would like to see:

    1. Customizable average speed graph. Dropdown menu so we can choose 5m, 1hr, 6hr etc;
    2. In general, more stats/graphs;
    3. Profitability calculator;
    4. When you click on wallet address - go directly to etherchain to check balance and everything (nanopool has it), or maybe get balance directly on account page;
    5. Playstore app/widget;
    6. FAQ & Info about mining, maybe links to most up to date miners (official, Genoil etc);
    7. Fixed hour payments.

    You seem to really want to make a good pool, I will try it next week with one of my rigs.

    Keep up the good work!

    Thanks I will try to implement these things in the coming weeks, look forward to that :). It would be great if you could get more people to mine with us because ethpool and nanopool make up the majority of the network.

    Edit: You can now go directly to etherchain.org from your accounts page. Just click on the link at the top!
  • jacobjacob Member Posts: 39
    @doge94
    I don't understand, why are you caring whether the pool runs stable or not? People can take the source, have it running themselves and fix it if necessary. Just put it on github and people will have the chance to contribute. I think that running lots of smaller privately organized pools is much healthier for the ethereum ecosystem than have a couple of huge pools, which defeats the idea of decentralization.
  • ethereumpoolethereumpool Member Posts: 108
    edited August 2015
    Opensource pool ? It's very stupid idea, then many other pools will pop up. If someone want make pool then should write it him self from ground up. Centralization ? People should just switch to other pools than ethpool or nanopool and then centralization problem goes away for now. By the way these pools are very, very similar, too much similar to think that there are not same guys behind.
  • jacobjacob Member Posts: 39
    @ethereumpool
    Why is having many pools a stupid idea? It's actually a good idea! Of course, the big pools don't like it because it cuts their profits.
  • ethereumpoolethereumpool Member Posts: 108
    jacob said:

    @ethereumpool
    Why is having many pools a stupid idea? It's actually a good idea! Of course, the big pools don't like it because it cuts their profits.

    Open-sourcing pool is stupid idea, does any exchange open source ?
    If someone want create and manage good and reliable pool, it costs. Actually Ethererumpool all fee revenue use to rent good servers. For network the best would be few pools with 10-15% network hashrate. Miners centralize network by them self only, using mostly one pool.

  • jacobjacob Member Posts: 39
    @ethereumpool
    No offense, but I think people can decide for themselves if they want to have an open source pool, how they want to run it etc. I guess you are kind of the wrong person to judge over others, since you have a (financially) biased opinion. This thread is about what people want who want to mine in a pool and not what people like you want, who are running a proprietary pool and make profit with the miners.

    Just my 2ct. 1-2% is a lot. ethpool has had hashrates around 80 GH/s with 400 active miners, what is 400 clients to a server? They make 180000 USD a month, 1% would be 1800 USD in fees. This is A LOT considering that running high-end servers capable of handling 400 clients with ease costs around about 200 USD a month.

    Please don't fool your users. If you were putting all reveneue in servers, you can safely release your source and open your numbers. But I guess there is a reason you don't..
  • ethereumpoolethereumpool Member Posts: 108
    "make profit with the miners" - that's funny, currently im earning less than 16 eth per day. and im paying around 20$ per day for server. Im sorry but even if i would earn 50$ a day, it's nothing, i have better more profitable more mainstream projects. i did pool because i like this project. But it would be nice to earn something instead of adding my money for servers.

    "I think people can decide for themselves if they want to have an open source pool" - Did i said, they can't ? I just said it's stupid for developer who made pool to give away source for free and make it easier to reverse and find holes.

    "safely release your source and open your numbers" - im not going to give my work for free it's just foolish in most cases, lol it's not socialism.



  • jacobjacob Member Posts: 39
    Did I say for free? I thought about collective fund raising to pay out the efforts developers made. What does open source have to do with gratis? I think before you use big words like "socialism" you should better educate yourself so you actually know what open source is about.

    20 USD for the server? How many watts can such a server take, 400 Watts? You must be kidding, you are running the server yourself at home? You can get huge, dedicated servers for much less?
  • jacobjacob Member Posts: 39
    And don't forget ethereum is also an open source project, but developers got paid.
  • ethereumpoolethereumpool Member Posts: 108
    edited August 2015
    Yes, developers got paid. That's right, I can open source my pool. If i get for example 15btc in Ethers, or what's your idea then ? Im using dedicated server. Now it has very low load even with 130 active miners, But it's ready for much more miners. My Pool is written in Php and python running on hhvm, mariadb, and memcached, a lot of things are as much as possible cached. server is 20 cores Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU E5-2630 0 @ 2.30GHz, 128gb ram
  • dr_pradr_pra Member Posts: 445 ✭✭✭
    Ethpool.org was able to support ~500 miners on a 8 core 16GB ram server at 30% CPU utilization. I am not sure if your implementation is as efficient as it can be. Go does a very good job in handling a lot of concurrent connections. Also do you utilize a distributed architecture? Putting everything on one dedicated server is not a great idea. Ethpool utilizes independent mining nodes which will continue to work even if the main pool server goes down and vice versa. This way we can also easily add new local servers which will reduce the latency of our miners.
  • jacobjacob Member Posts: 39
    @dr_pra
    are you connected to the ethpool dev team?

    @ethereumpool
    That indeed sounds like a very inefficient implementation. Well, concerning open sourcing, I think we can ask the community to collect ethers to pay you for open sourcing the pool. It is the community benefitting in the end, isn't it?

    I don't know how complex the implementation you made is and thus it is difficult to tell whether 15 btc is a fair share or not. Could you put up the minimum requirements and/or provide any other descriptive data to make people understand what they are paying for? Probably you could release an non-functional excerpt of the current code to give an idea how the code quality is.
  • ethereumpoolethereumpool Member Posts: 108
    edited August 2015
    dr_pra said:

    Ethpool.org was able to support ~500 miners on a 8 core 16GB ram server at 30% CPU utilization. I am not sure if your implementation is as efficient as it can be. Go does a very good job in handling a lot of concurrent connections. Also do you utilize a distributed architecture? Putting everything on one dedicated server is not a great idea. Ethpool utilizes independent mining nodes which will continue to work even if the main pool server goes down and vice versa. This way we can also easily add new local servers which will reduce the latency of our miners.

    Dont act like you know my skills, probably i have much greater experience than you. Server has been bought much better than it should be to avoid any downtime in future due moving to another. With this traffic there is no need to split service into separated machines.
    jacob said:

    @dr_pra
    are you connected to the ethpool dev team?

    @ethereumpool
    That indeed sounds like a very inefficient implementation. Well, concerning open sourcing, I think we can ask the community to collect ethers to pay you for open sourcing the pool. It is the community benefitting in the end, isn't it?

    I don't know how complex the implementation you made is and thus it is difficult to tell whether 15 btc is a fair share or not. Could you put up the minimum requirements and/or provide any other descriptive data to make people understand what they are paying for? Probably you could release an non-functional excerpt of the current code to give an idea how the code quality is.

    "That indeed sounds like a very inefficient implementation" - because there is better server bought t handle future miners ? - currently it's around 3-8% cpu usage.
    Post edited by ethereumpool on
  • doge94doge94 Member Posts: 25
    edited August 2015

    Yes, developers got paid. That's right, I can open source my pool. If i get for example 15btc in Ethers, or what's your idea then ? Im using dedicated server. Now it has very low load even with 130 active miners, But it's ready for much more miners. My Pool is written in Php and python running on hhvm, mariadb, and memcached, a lot of things are as much as possible cached. server is 20 cores Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU E5-2630 0 @ 2.30GHz, 128gb ram

    Wow that sounds really overkill. weipool.org is written to be modular as possible with separate share/frontend codebases meaning we can just spin up more share servers to handle as much load as we need while also not wasting 100s of dollars on servers that will just sit idle. Weipool can currently handle multiple gh/s of power running on a single vps and we can spin up as many as we need in minutes to handle peak loads. Much like what @dr_pra described.
  • jacobjacob Member Posts: 39
    @doge94 what about your pool? Would you be willing to open source when people pay you for the development efforts?
  • ethereumpoolethereumpool Member Posts: 108
    doge94 said:

    Yes, developers got paid. That's right, I can open source my pool. If i get for example 15btc in Ethers, or what's your idea then ? Im using dedicated server. Now it has very low load even with 130 active miners, But it's ready for much more miners. My Pool is written in Php and python running on hhvm, mariadb, and memcached, a lot of things are as much as possible cached. server is 20 cores Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU E5-2630 0 @ 2.30GHz, 128gb ram

    Wow that sounds really overkill. weipool.org is written to be modular as possible with separate share/frontend codebases meaning we can just spin up more share servers to handle as much load as we need while also not wasting 100s of dollars on servers that will just sit idle. Weipool can currently handle multiple gh/s of power running on a single vps and we can spin up as many as we need in minutes to handle peak loads. Much like what @dr_pra described.
    Good luck with VPS :D :D Go host you private blog there. ;)

    I wont open source my pool. If someone have good offer i can sell entire things with domain + sources. There is no problem to move any script from my sources to another server. If someone wish to split between few machines, it's easy as point new ip in configuration for each functionality. Doubts on PHP ? Php written correctly, running on hhvm will be as fast as go or C or even faster.
  • doge94doge94 Member Posts: 25
    edited August 2015
    jacob said:

    @doge94 what about your pool? Would you be willing to open source when people pay you for the development efforts?

    Yes. For the right price.

    doge94 said:

    Yes, developers got paid. That's right, I can open source my pool. If i get for example 15btc in Ethers, or what's your idea then ? Im using dedicated server. Now it has very low load even with 130 active miners, But it's ready for much more miners. My Pool is written in Php and python running on hhvm, mariadb, and memcached, a lot of things are as much as possible cached. server is 20 cores Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU E5-2630 0 @ 2.30GHz, 128gb ram

    Wow that sounds really overkill. weipool.org is written to be modular as possible with separate share/frontend codebases meaning we can just spin up more share servers to handle as much load as we need while also not wasting 100s of dollars on servers that will just sit idle. Weipool can currently handle multiple gh/s of power running on a single vps and we can spin up as many as we need in minutes to handle peak loads. Much like what @dr_pra described.
    Good luck with VPS :D :D Go host you private blog there. ;)

    I wont open source my pool. If someone have good offer i can sell entire things with domain + sources. There is no problem to move any script from my sources to another server. If someone wish to split between few machines, it's easy as point new ip in configuration for each functionality. Doubts on PHP ? Php written correctly, running on hhvm will be as fast as go or C or even faster.
    You gotta use the right tool for the right job. With your setup you cannot expand much further. You cannot have geographically separated share servers or fault tolerant systems. But if its working for you then keep wasting 100's+ a month on a overkill server I guess. Those 2% fees have to go somewhere...
  • ethereumpoolethereumpool Member Posts: 108
    edited August 2015
    And you are trying to say that i didn't use proper tool kid ? I have 120 active miners with cpu usage around 5%, so i can expand as much further i can without causing any downtime unlike your vps scaling. Later i can split service to few servers. But with current settings im able to handle around 1.5k miners online.
    You cannot have geographically separated share servers
    I dont see any problem, but you propably know better running mining pool on cheap vps :D Wish your miners luck with stability on vps :D :D Nothing more to say.
  • doge94doge94 Member Posts: 25
    Graphs have been added on the address page! Take a look here http://weipool.org/0x0b7cdd58129b66a8e275a83b9aee2050184d7393
  • doge94doge94 Member Posts: 25
    Bump we are doing a 35 ether giveaway for the top 3 miners!
  • mmitechmmitech SloveniaMember Posts: 4
    So you want to tell me that all the similar looking and functioning pools out there are just a coincidence? and they are not deployed from the same open source code? the selfishness and greed in cryptocurrency community is at ATH the last 2 years or so.

    few MPOS pools and other similar looking pools, don't be so greedy, things you own end up owning you...
  • doge94doge94 Member Posts: 25
    mmitech said:

    So you want to tell me that all the similar looking and functioning pools out there are just a coincidence? and they are not deployed from the same open source code? the selfishness and greed in cryptocurrency community is at ATH the last 2 years or so.

    few MPOS pools and other similar looking pools, don't be so greedy, things you own end up owning you...

    The frontends looks similar because most frontend developers end up using bootstrap because its simple. I can assure you that the pool code is almost completely different. The last thing you want is to have inexperienced people cloning the git and running a pool. I am not even making money off of this. Just trying to help the community.
  • mmitechmmitech SloveniaMember Posts: 4
    doge94 said:

    mmitech said:

    So you want to tell me that all the similar looking and functioning pools out there are just a coincidence? and they are not deployed from the same open source code? the selfishness and greed in cryptocurrency community is at ATH the last 2 years or so.

    few MPOS pools and other similar looking pools, don't be so greedy, things you own end up owning you...

    The frontends looks similar because most frontend developers end up using bootstrap because its simple. I can assure you that the pool code is almost completely different. The last thing you want is to have inexperienced people cloning the git and running a pool. I am not even making money off of this. Just trying to help the community.
    I am aware of the easy-to-deploy Twitter bootstrap templates, but this doesn't explain the similar functionality, there must be an open source proxy out there that a person can build-on/modify...

    Bitcoin flourished because of the amount of open source projects out there, and Ethereum will not move a single step if the community is refusing to share or make it hard to get information, things shouldn't continue this way.

  • doge94doge94 Member Posts: 25
    mmitech said:

    doge94 said:

    mmitech said:

    So you want to tell me that all the similar looking and functioning pools out there are just a coincidence? and they are not deployed from the same open source code? the selfishness and greed in cryptocurrency community is at ATH the last 2 years or so.

    few MPOS pools and other similar looking pools, don't be so greedy, things you own end up owning you...

    The frontends looks similar because most frontend developers end up using bootstrap because its simple. I can assure you that the pool code is almost completely different. The last thing you want is to have inexperienced people cloning the git and running a pool. I am not even making money off of this. Just trying to help the community.
    I am aware of the easy-to-deploy Twitter bootstrap templates, but this doesn't explain the similar functionality, there must be an open source proxy out there that a person can build-on/modify...

    Bitcoin flourished because of the amount of open source projects out there, and Ethereum will not move a single step if the community is refusing to share or make it hard to get information, things shouldn't continue this way.

    I am not aware of any open source proxy there is only so many ways you can make a pool without account registration.
Sign In or Register to comment.