Installing Geth on Windows fails: GetResponse" with "0" argument(s)

rapidosrapidos SydneyMember Posts: 8
I keep bumping into the same error:

C:\windows\system32>choco install geth-stable -version 1.0.1.2 -y --force
Chocolatey v0.9.9.8
Installing the following packages:
geth-stable
By installing you accept licenses for the packages.

geth-stable v1.0.1.2 (forced)
Exception calling "GetResponse" with "0" argument(s): "The underlying connection was closed: An unexpected error occurred on a send."
At C:\ProgramData\chocolatey\helpers\functions\Get-WebHeaders.ps1:77 char:37
+ $response = $request.GetResponse <<<< ();
+ CategoryInfo : NotSpecified: (:) [], ParentContainsErrorRecordException
+ FullyQualifiedErrorId : DotNetMethodException
The install of geth-stable was NOT successful.
Error while running 'C:\ProgramData\chocolatey\lib\geth-stable\tools\chocolateyInstall.ps1'.

Comments

• radixpraxradixprax Member Posts: 13

Same problem here, runing windows 7, on a lenovo 500 laptop with two nvidia cards.

Microsoft Windows [Version 6.1.7601]
    Copyright (c) 2009 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.

C:\Windows\system32>choco install geth-stable -version 1.0.1.2
    Chocolatey v0.9.9.8
    Installing the following packages:
    geth-stable
    By installing you accept licenses for the packages.

geth-stable v1.0.1.2
    The package geth-stable wants to run 'chocolateyInstall.ps1'.
    Note: If you don't run this script, the installation will fail.
    Note: To confirm automatically next time, use '-y' or consider setting
    'allowGlobalConfirmation'. Run 'choco feature -h' for more details.
    Do you want to run the script?
    1) yes
    2) no
    3) print
    Exception calling "GetResponse" with "0" argument(s): "The underlying connectio

n was closed: An unexpected error occurred on a send."
    At C:\ProgramData\chocolatey\helpers\functions\Get-WebHeaders.ps1:77 char:37
    + $response = $request.GetResponse <<<< ();
    + CategoryInfo : NotSpecified: (:) [], ParentContainsErrorRecordE

xception
    + FullyQualifiedErrorId : DotNetMethodException
    The install of geth-stable was NOT successful.
    Error while running 'C:\ProgramData\chocolatey\lib\geth-stable\tools\chocolateyI
    nstall.ps1'.
    See log for details.

Chocolatey installed 0/1 package(s). 1 package(s) failed.
    See the log for details (C:\ProgramData\chocolatey\logs\chocolatey.log).
    Failures:
    - geth-stable

C:\Windows\system32>
  • StephanTualStephanTual London, EnglandMember, Moderator Posts: 1,282 mod
    Looks like the file that Chocolatey was pointing has been moved. I'll find out for you.
    Ah yes, because there was a bit of work done on versionning, some links got out of whack. You can download the correct updated binary at https://build.ethdev.com/builds/Windows Go master branch/Geth-Win64-20150820194357-1.0.2-a0303ff.zip
    Thanks Stephan! I will try this tonight after work and post my bench scores when I get up and running. For the time being my goal is to generate my own ether address for Augur rep.
    hmm i am probably not doing something right. I ran that file which began a never ending process ( still running when I woke ). I tried the chocolatey install in the command prompt "choco install geth-stable -version 1.0.1.2" and got the same previous results.
    Mm that is odd - raise it as a bug on https://github.com/ethereum/go-ethereum/issues please if you can reproduce, the zip should definitely work.
  • Hatch38Hatch38 Member Posts: 2
    edited August 2015
    Same issue here. Been researching and fighting this for hours. I really wish you folks would test this stuff before release!

So now with the ZIP... No choco install? Just put it in a directory and "geth console" or what?
    STEPHAN, Thanks, I will try again then post a bug report.

TO HATCH, Whoa Hatch I know its frustrating working these kinks out but you are being rude. The Ethereum developers are potentially creating the bedrock of future civilization ( not counting philosophic progress ) and are not charging a dime to get plugged in or for their highly specialized technical expertise when there is a problem. As a rationalist, the fact that software can be developed in a responsive time-frame to run on multitudes of hardware in different configurations with different operating systems in various versions written in many languages with wildly unpredictable 'nuts on the other end' borders on the miraculous.

I understand it is in some way providing them value when we report bugs and provide feedback but guess what that is called a healthy mutually beneficial relationship. Its a fantastic arrangement that allows someone largely incompetent in the realm of software development ( me ) to be valuable to and justify gaining value from people on the frontier of their profession ( Eth Devs ).
  • rapidosrapidos SydneyMember Posts: 8
    edited August 2015
    It seems to work fine for me. At least I can run geth and perform some simple commands.

This is what I did:
    1. Download "Geth-Win64-20150820194357-1.0.2-a0303ff.zip" from the link that Stephan supplied in this thread (on August 22).
    2. Unzip it. For me I end up with the folder:
    "C:\Users\yourUserNameHere\Downloads\Geth-Win64-20150820194357-1.0.2-a0303ff", which contains geth.exe
    2. Run a cmd.exe as administrator (note: not sure if running as admin was really required).
    3. From that command window, do:
    4. cd "C:\Users\yourUserNameHere\Downloads\Geth-Win64-20150820194357-1.0.2-a0303ff"
    5. You can now launch Geth with its console mode:
    geth console 2>> gethlog.txt
    This way all the log gets appended into:
    "C:\Users\yourUserNameHere\Downloads\Geth-Win64-20150820194357-1.0.2-a0303ff\gethlog.txt"
    and it does not clutter your console window.

It should be displaying the Geth console prompt which looks like:
    >

You can now try some simple commands, like:
    eth.accounts
    Should return:
    []
    So you can now create an account:
    personal.newAccount("putApassphraseHere")
    Should return your account, something which looks like:
    ['0xSOMETHING_WHICH_LOOKS_LIKE_YOUR_ACCOUNT']
    And you can check that
    eth.accounts
    does now display your account

You can exit Geth but typing:
    exit

By default, Geth persists information under:
    C:\Users\yourUserNameHere\AppData\Roaming\Ethereum
    You should now see a folder called "keystore"
    It contains a file with a name which looks like:
    UTC--2015-08-25T12-31-58.950602100Z--SOMETHING_WHICH_LOOKS_LIKE_YOUR_ACCOUNT

This file contains your encrypted (protected by your password) private key (for the account you have just created). Do not lose it!
    Do not hesitate to send copies of this file to other locations: email it to yourself, save a copy of it into a cloud storage, etc...
  • Hatch38Hatch38 Member Posts: 2
    edited August 2015
    To radixprax: Look dude, I appreciate what they are doing and their responsiveness as well as anyone, but that does not excuse sloppy releases.

I was a producer for an online game for 10 years before I retired and am fully aware of what its like being on the bleeding edge of development, and when sloppy mistakes like that one waste time and precious resources after a release that you can't really afford to spare when other issues you couldn't prevent need all of your attention. The long and short of it is that if two bugs make it out the door when a quick "choco install geth-stable -version 1.1.0.0" test would have found and eliminated one of them, you end up having half your user base and dev resources trying to sort out the "slop bug" when it would be much better having everyone focused on the "real" (and usually much more detrimental) issues that got past your QA despite your best efforts. Much better to keep what resources you have where they are needed and not wasting time and effort responding to issues like this one that never needed to exist.

Look. I think these guys are doing something spectacular and do not mean any of this in a derogatory manner, but just want them to be careful and do their due diligence so they don't release stuff that bites em in the ass when a little testing and patience would have prevented it.

Thanks again and keep up the good work!